or Connect

Posts by monkey's mom

Yes, on the death. My father passed away last year and we spent much of the previous year traveling to visit with him. Boy, did that get expensive! Hotel, gas, boarding the dog, missing work days (self-employed), toys to entertain the kids at the hospital and funeral. It really adds up.   Sickness added up for us this winter, too. Vapo-rubs, juice (not a usual purchase), etc. all adds up quickly.   And we rescued a puppy this month. Oy. LOL. $300+ dollars later...
Can't figure out how to quote Logan, but, yes, I was talking about the security of owning outright vs. renting. Sorry, thought that's what you were talking about.   I still tend to fall on the side of paying off a mortgage for 15-30 yrs. and having an asset at the end of that time vs. paying rent for all those years. I would not want to have to worry about a rent (or mortgage) payment in my 80s.
I think there's a level of security from ownership that can't be measured in dollars...esp. home ownership. No one can foreclose on you, no one can up the rent, or decide to sell, or in a real life case I heard the other day let the rental go into foreclosure on the tenants.   If you have an unexpected job loss/medical expense/death/tragedy you never have to worry about paying the rent or mortgage. Maybe you can't keep up with maintenance, but there's still a roof...
We have Blue Cross Blue Sheild. Before that we had Kaiser HMO. Both were/are in the $500-$800/mo. range for a healthy family of four. We tried a policy w/ the Nat'l Self Employed group (or some such) and it was garbage. Of all of them BCBS has been the best.
Yayyyy! Exactly the sorts of things I was thinking of!   Seriously, my husband is at the store right now replenishing our boxes of tissues (after 2 weeks of colds around our house). I will feel richer placing those around the house than checking my bank balance, my investments, paying my bills, etc. Just feeeeeels so gooooood!   eta: Buying bird seed and filling the outdoor feeders. Same thing for me....so NOT necessary, but brings us so much joy to watch the...
I've been thinking about this lately....the psychology of luxury/wealth/security, and how funny that can be. Regardless of what one's actual finances or net worth are, there are bound to be certain emotional triggers that make one feel secure (or not).   I'm interested in what little or unusual things make you feel financially secure. Or if you don't feel that way, what small things might make you feel, "Ahhhh....we've made it."   For example, for my husband,...
  TWENTY ONE open credit accounts??    Holy moses!    Ours jumped after going from mortgage holders to not. That was several years ago and I honestly have no idea what it is now.   We did get slightly penalized years and years ago when we bought our first house for having "too much open credit." We were so stunned to have spent all that time building credit and getting good credit lines that we didn't max out or fill up, and then have it count against us.  
  I know! Just like kids, we tell ourselves, "It's all front-loaded. Put the time in now and reap the rewards later." But, man....it's a LOT.   We tried a scaled-down version of this last night, where we all sat in a circle holding treats and told him to go to certain people (who then treated him). He seemed challenged, so that was good. And the kids had fun, so win-win, right?   You are not kidding!  Good thing he's so dang cute.     What does "freeshaping random...
  Perfect! Thanks, blumooned. Probably I would say something to someone behind me. And, again, if there started to be a big line, I just wouldn't (couldn't) do it. But it's great to know that this is a rather common phenomenon....I've been wanting to do this for a long time and just feeling like it was some crazy frugal/lazy thing that only I struggled with.     Yes, my Target separates, too, but it's not always useful. For example, last time I was there I was buying...
eta: yes, a couple of walks a day are a must!   Oh great ideas, Oriole!   Our first Mastiff was very, very bright (our current one got in line twice for brawn and missed the brains...LOL) and knew the names of his toys. I think this puppy will easily get that and we can totally start that.   Love the idea of "hide and seek" and "courier!" Will you just have the person who is found reward with treats/praise? Call to them? We're also tossing the idea of...