or Connect

Posts by monkey's mom

Quote: Originally Posted by wonderwahine yes, but as a parent, i wouldnt be standing there letting it carry on, i would have stepped in and asked my dc to give them a turn and maybe later they will let you use their trike. had they refused, i would have picked them up and given the trike to the owner. I'm personally not comfortable sort of "truncating" the problem solving aspects of this scenario and heading fairly quickly to physical coercion. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by wonderwahine in this situation we would have, because the child was given many opportunitys. and I do not see waiting while your child is hysterical and paniced as gentle parenting at all. Holding out your handing and waiting for the toy while the girl is hysterical isn't gentle parenting? : So if the boy had given the girl "many opportunities" to get off his bike, would you support him taking it from...
nak It's not that M&D is made in China, it's that there is lead in the paint. See the thread in Family Safety for more info.
Quote: Originally Posted by mkcmommy2003 Another question: What about when she continues to do something unacceptable? She was just jumping on her bed and I firmly (not meanly) sat her down and told her it was not okay and she could get hurt if she falls off. She did it again and I repeated the same thing, then she did it again, etc. Any tricks I'm not aware of regarding this type of behavior?? If your worry is that she'll get hurt, can you...
Quote: Originally Posted by rzberrymom what lengths she was going to to stick with some sort of GD/consensual living/non-violent communication ideology. As others have said, it doesn't sound *to me* like she was actually using any of those ideologies, rather she was trying to find a sorta-nice-way to get her kid what he wanted. And that that's what she generally does. Very different.
Yeah, how did it resolve?? Did he eventually hand the toy back or what?
Thank YOU! I'm enjoying your posts tremendously!
I'm hearing many people say they would "just (gently) take it back." And dismissing other GD tactics (like playfullness, prevention, waiting, etc.) which are being suggested here. I don't think anyone is supporting the tactics the actual mother used (suggesting that the hysterical child have empathy for her son, asking to keep the toy for the afternoon, etc). But I see nothing wrong with offering a trade or trying any number of GD tactics suggested here. Lots of...
"Yeah that" to beanma's whole post. I had a mom who was clearly uncomfortable with me saying something to her kids, but she would be chit-chatting until she heard the screaming--and only *then* would there be any, "Oh somethings going on w/ my child AGAIN," response. Which is OK, I suppose, but if you're not gonna be proactive when your kids got his fist in the air, then someone else is--and I don't really think you get too much room for pissiness if you're leaving it...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kirsten Exactly! I couldn't be around that kind of a mother. I understand (I think) her thought process on respecting her child, but she is teaching absolutely no respect for anyone else - and that is not ok. Yeah, the mom not taking it from him doesn't bother me, but the request to let him keep it for the afternoon and imploring the hysterical girl to see how much it meant to HIM?! Dude. WTF. Not cool. At all.