or Connect

Posts by ChinaDoll

Math Mammoth and Math U See
We're doing some very light 'summer school' - mostly just to stave off boredom. Mine are only finishing K/1st grades, so we're keeping it simple. I set up a schedule blocking out times to play outside play inside together play alone quietly in their rooms do chores and a couple of blocks for electronic time (xbox, wii, leapster, tv or computer - pick one - having it scheduled means they quit asking 'how about now? how about NOW? ) I keep up with Bible and...
Quote: Originally Posted by EviesMom I'm looking at Artistic Pursuits and DD is begging for Rosetta Stone Mandarin as well. Do you like the Artistic Pursuits? Do you think it would be suited to use with a small group as well? I've been toying with the idea of offering it as an "art morning" activity for other homeschool kids, so they can share ideas, do the lessons, and have some playtime after. We really like Artistic Pursuits - the lessons...
We don't. Last year (our first year) we started in August because the schools here did. This year, we're starting in July while it's still incredibly hot out so that we can be done (with state requirements) in April/May when it's beautiful out and spring fever has set in. (And we technically school all year, with a light review and focus on literature/art during the summer ... )
We love Sonlight - of course, we picked it specifically for religious content and evangelical missions perspective, but plenty of people leave those books out and use it in a secular fashion. I find the IG very valuable, for the schedule and the notes/discussion questions/appendices BUT many people just use the catalog as a booklist and get books on Amazon, only buying from SL their exclusive books. Either way, their literature selections are great!
Let's see ... I've ordered Rosetta Stone Mandarin for us all (DH and I could use the brush-up, and the kids have forgotten most of what they knew) Sonlight Core 1 Sonlight Bible 1 Sonlight Science 1 Sonlight Readers 2 Intermediate Writing With Ease 1 Rod & Staff English 2 All About Spelling 1 Zoo membership And then we'll continue with Artistic Pursuits and Math Mammoth since we already have those, and the kids will use Sonlight's Readers 1 and 2 as needed...
at 3.5 and 5.5 years old; both had been tapering down from a few times a day to 1 time a day in the 6-9 months leading up, and then one day I realized I couldn't remember when we'd had our last nursing session ...
You might like some of the Core P 4/5 and Core K items from Sonlight PA09 Stories from Around the World PA03The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book PG01People PA08Milly-Molly-Mandy Story Book PG04Things People Do KH03Living Long Ago KH10Usborne Internet-Linked Children’s Encyclopedia FA61Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day? They're all favorites here!
can they do an ultrasound first? I have actually had a mammogram done while nursing - it can be done but was painful and worthless because it was too difficult to read (which I tried to explain ahead of time but they insisted ... ) Anyway, they were able to do an ultrasound and rule out problems requiring a biopsy. Perhaps you can suggest that?