or Connect

Posts by ChinaDoll

Quote: Originally Posted by momtokea It's very realistic. In fact, it's almost exactly what I am doing with my 10 and 12 year old dd's. They are 20 months apart. They do everything together except for math and grammar. I use Sonlight and use one Core for both of them. They do all their reading, history/geography, and science together. Exactly! We're using Sonlight to combine our 6 and almost 8 year olds into one Core...
Quote: Originally Posted by skueppers If I were in that position, I would probably choose Sonlight, especially if Christian content is OK. Sonlight is based around history, and uses a lot of living books. The math and reading parts can be selected separately from the main curriculum, so you can choose the right levels for your kid. We love Sonlight here!
25 days!
I voted other So far (kindergarten and first grade) I'm able to check/correct work as we go. It takes me 5 minutes to refill workboxes (because we use them only for academic subjects, saving all the fun stuff for unschooly afternoon time). But it takes me 1.5-2 hours each weekend to make my lesson plan for the next week. We use Sonlight, so the basic plan is laid out for me for each week, but of course I tweak, and I have to schedule math/art and some of the LA...
Quote: Originally Posted by RoundAbout Oh I totally agree with that. I was just mostly agreeing the the PP about clothes having nothing to do with bowel control. I'm always baffled that ability to get in and out of them is listed as a sign of readiness. My son turned 3 in December and if we waited until he could pull his pants up and down with ease we'd be waiting quite a while to start PLing. I think it's because, on the traditional pottying...
Quote: Originally Posted by triscuitsmom I don't think her point was that parents aren't "trained" but more that they aren't trained any more than they are "trained" for everything else that their kids need help doing. FWIW as I watch my kid get to the bathroom by himself and do it all and he has been for quite a while I have to say that while I might have been "trained" to listen to his cues when he was younger and respond to them immediately I'm also...
Quote: Originally Posted by RoundAbout Totally agree. We live in a warm climate so I let my son go pants free at home starting at age 2, along with a small potty chair that was comfortable for him to use. By 2.5 he was definitely trained under these conditions, and pretty easily. Adding clothes into the mix has been a bit harder because he has to not only recognize that a pee/poop is coming but recognize it well in advance so he has time to tell...
Quote: Originally Posted by BetsyS See...this wasn't our experience. I waited until 3 years, 3 months, until I knew he was ready. We went from diapers to no accidents in less than a week. It wasn't anywhere near a 6 month process. Really. One week. And, I only did the 30 minute reminders for like 3 days. After that, he went on his own (and still does). We had the same experience with DD; once she was ready it only took a week!
Quote: Originally Posted by tankgirl73 I used to think the same way. That it was "parent-training" more than child training. But then I had a few realizations. Is it "parent-training" if, before they're able to get themselves a slice of bread out of the pantry, toast it, get a knife, butter it, get a glass, pour themselves a glass of milk, and wash the dishes when they're done, we watch them for signs that they're hungry and help them get something...
Quote: Originally Posted by MeAndVee DS has been TT for 3.5 months now and he does it all on his own {knock on wood}, only calls if he has pooped and I am sure he will eventually insists on doing that all on his own too. Some of you are not giving your kids enough credit. And believe me I feel like that too sometimes. DS showed no real interest in bathroom habits. Never told me when his diaper was wet or dirty. But we still went ahead and tried it. ...