or Connect

Posts by Greenmama2AJ

I think it sounds like a great rule for the "game" of chasing big sister with the hockey stick. He obviously sees it as part of the fun and one of the rules of play - so I think its a great way to get him to calm down at least. The only problem with this will be the one day he says No and won't wait for the whistle. Do you then force him to sit there? Give up the rule? That will be the real test
I really agree with reading the book recommendations for Spirited Child and Happiest Toddler. It seems your child has issues with transitions. Tantrums over flushing and taking out the trash signal "spirited" and high needs to me. Those books have excellent advice on transitions. Children on the Aspergers continuum also hate transitions. While people might imply that if you just "taught them manners" they'd get over it, for some children (and adults) 'change' and...
Lettuce might do well, particularly cold weather varieties. Ground tubers like potatoes do well in shade too. Cant go past potatoes.
I agree, seaweed is great for composting! I've never added it directly to the soil - but we use a seaweed concentrate regularly, our veggies love it! If you make your own seaweed soup it smells, so store it away from the house. You might get the same effect with your compost pile if its not aerated - nothing like the stench of a seaweed rotting in a bay so fork it regularly Good luck!
I agree. Anything will grow on a slope, that's not the real issue. The biggest problem will be water management and the loss of nutrients from your upper areas to your lower areas. If you're looking at a permaculture approach anything you choose should have multiple uses. Choose ground cover plants at the top of your slope and larger trees at the base of your slope. Use berms to channel water to certain areas. If snails ate your plants last time, the permaculture...
Its a bit hard for me to read the numbers on your areas but I'd follow permaculture principles with your zones The bed closest to your house access (Box 1?) should be things you need to access regularly. Herbs for your cooking would be good here. Throw in a few flowering herbs to help with pollination. Area 6 is also close to your house. You could grow zucchini or pumpkin here but these take a while for the vegetables to mature and its a bit of a waste. If you run...
I was the one who gave an eyeroll at the idea of "a light tap on the bum" for highschool students. I just wanted to reassure everyone that it wasn't an eye roll at any posters on this thread More so, it is an eyeroll at a society that advocates corporal punishment based on the idea that its "just a tap". If paddling in highschools was "just a tap" it would be totally useless on defiant, hormone driven, 15 yr old males - proof that spanking is a method that needs to...
Spanking is a weaker discipline method. Its not that is doesn't work. It can. For a short time but just because hitting a small child makes them compliant doesn't mean you should use that method as a strategy. Spanking is a short term way of dealing with behaviour and it uses a parents physical dominance to scare a child into behaving. There are many ways to deal with child behaviour without spanking. If you need to use spanking to control your child, you need to...
Cross pollination is only a problem for different varieties of the same species. It's not really a worry unless you are trying to maintain a true variety. Here is a good link: Its not really about spacing. Afterall, bees can fly a good distance and they are what "cross pollinate" your vege flowers. They fly between plants and the pollen mixes with other varieties, giving you hybrid vegetables. Usually they are different shapes but still edible for instance. They...
Looking good I use a lasagna composting method and plant directly into that. We have very sandy, grey, silica based soil, very low in nutrients, very high drainage. O.k for planting seeds but no good for little seedlings or a permaculture garden. A good lasagna compost should be ready to plant in after 30 days. You need to make sure it gets hot within the first 24 hours. To do this you need to limit the carbon (paper, straw, leaves etc) and increase the organic...