or Connect

Posts by Greenmama2AJ

Annikate - lol, we'll I grow apples trees but I'm not having much luck with apples, maybe they dont do well ;P We do have heaps of fruit though. I have to get out there and plant more flowers too - I want some perrenials that will provide some multiple purposes. Any ideas or favourites? Turtlewomyn - that is wonderful that you shared your tomatoes and capsicums with the preschool. I'm a highschool teacher and I start a vegie patch with my kids every year - complete...
Hi everyone - I don't live in Florida - I live in Western Australia - we are in Zone 9 -10. Hope you'll let me join in, I'm opposite in season to you, we can bounce off our successes and failures season to season I've had some good success with a few things this summer. Tomatoes - cherry and heirloom, everywhere. Zucchinis - my first time growing this beast of a plant - but I'm in love. I've planted some seeds for next season and they've already sprouted...
Oh, and if you let them die off naturally you might be lucky enough to have a plant resprout the next year - I've had some tomatoes do this - but they are spindly little shoots. You'll get much nicer vines with new seeds
At the end of summer beginning of autumn, pick a nice healthy tomato/courgette off a nice healthy plant and collect the seeds for next season. Vine vegies like this are usually annuals - and last one season. I pull my vines out when they die off and replant with a winter vegie
Our lawn is split half/half with buffalo wide leafed lawn and a thin, softer, golf style lawn. There is a healthy mob of clover in the buffalo, they appear to support each other. I pull out the clover and buffalo that creeps over to the softer lawn - because I hate how wide leaf lawns scratch and inflame your skin. The chickens love the clover. I can't see any reason why you couldn't have a whole lawn full of clover. One benefit is that it is pulls out in clumps and...
I get what the original poster is saying. The article says that Rhesus monkeys stop crying babies if they feel pressured into it by aggressive males or females (who obviously threaten violence) - but then the article, if you spent a few secs to read it, related it to the fact that parents feel self conscious when their child tantrums in a shopping centre. So then, in a shopping centre obviously parents aren't threatened by the thought of other parents eating their...
(((hugs))) I agree. Be honest about money - say, those things cost too much. Life can still be great without the pretty car. Many poor societies have happy children, its all about valuing family. I think you need to work on your own happiness and depression at this moment. That will impact on your children more than the fact they dont see the expensive Dr. You're going through a really tough time and you need soe support mama. Good luck and I know you'll pull...
I just wanted to respond to the op - who restated her question on the last page - asking how we can be activists to encourage reading to children. I think the main thing about reading to children is that they are participating in oral story telling. There are many developmental theorists who believe it is actually talking to our children that increases their literacy - and reading to children is just one way of meaningfully talking to our children. Children who are...
One toy I haven't seen mentioned here are different sized balls. My DS loves throwing, rolling, bowling and shooting balls - tennis balls, his bumpy 'nipple' ball, a basket ball, the birth ball. Outdoors we play piggy in the middle, roll on the birth ball, throw and catch and inside we do bowling. We play catch at least once a day and he's only 1.5 yrs old, lol, so I'm sure it will be something that grows with him.
I just want to share some hugs for living with a night worker ((hugs)) My DH worked nights and it does make some aspects of parenting tough. Because working night shifts is so mentally draining, you do tend to take on more housework to ease the burden. Seriously, my DH went a little loopy working the 11pm-8am shift - the methods used to keep awake at that time just aren't natural or healthy. It improved when he got a 6pm-2am shift and now he works days and its sooooo...