or Connect

Posts by lyzamay

Thank you serenbat! Fascinating stories. I wish Marjorie Taylor was closer to me! the little girl was so clever    I was trying to see what the book was— from Chatty Cathy, the talking doll! I started looking for books where dolls/toys/animals come to life and there really is no shortage of books, then again, we have at least 5 of the books: Velveteen Rabbit, Winnie the Pooh, The Doll People, Corduroy, The Nutcracker. Here's a...
Hi Limabean,    thank you so much for your insight! you nailed it!  I have to say how strange that is for people feel uncomfortable for a 3 year old boy to say he's a girl— who cares, right?   I wish I felt the head teacher was on board, but I think she's just saying that . Her actions do not imply support and our daughter is suddenly refusing to go to school.   We think there is a major classroom issue going on, unfortunately. My husband is flying home for...
Visionary Mom,    In some ways I think I put every thought in my mind on here trying to explain how things are and in the moment that can come out as anything. We just want our daughter to be supported and feel like the school has made too big a deal about it when if they just ignored it and didn't ask my DD questions when my DH and I already explained things, etc etc.   We "pretend" at home and the doll gets left on the floor for 24 hours on the weekends. She...
Thank you for saying this and supporting me, mammal-mama. I love my daughter's imagination it takes us to such wonderful places!   elus0814: I said that it is perfectly normal for a 6 year old to use her imagination and have an imaginary friend. You have completely missed the point. I have spoken to many, many people and they have all said that it is perfectly normal— and they're "experts" and other parents. You can go on having your opinion but don't come on here and...
It's fine that you don't agree with my stance on here. I actually started this thread to ask for articles to support my belief that this was normal. And there are plenty of articles and her pediatrician said that it is normal and the principal and now the head teacher too. This thread was not started  for people to debate  whether my daughter is normal or not. THE SCHOOL asked me for the language, I'm telling them what I think is okay and they have every right to say...
My 6 year old really likes playmobil and has recently been asking for new ones. I went to the store to buy some and (like Legos) was dismayed to find out gender-specific they were. The ones that had females were all either caretakers or inactive— like lounging on the beach. We don't have a huge collection of them, but I would probably just put them in one bin, that way my DD uses them as she wants not as the company planned. For example, playmobil has a soccer line, but...
Hi Linda,    Thanks for reading  my post. It's totally okay with me if people don't really agree with my thoughts on the specific issue that I brought up. Her last school was totally fine with it, the teacher asked our thoughts and we never heard about it again. Also, the principal at the current school thought it was a none issue, so it makes it a big issue for us with the teachers for not being able to deal with it effectively. My post on my website is about more...
In case anyone is following the process with the school...    After our meeting last Friday, I spent the weekend talking it over with my family and wrote a well thought out letter responding to what "language" felt appropriate to us. Basically, we said it was time for the teachers to ignore it, to stop asking my DD questions, to address the real issue with one of the kids who is going around threatening and scaring other kids for any reason he sees fit, and "if" the...