or Connect

Posts by lyzamay

Thanks for that. that experience sounds horrible!  I have always been on the fence with homeschooling for us. The most important thing to me is our DD's well being— so whatever it takes.  It's great to hear about your daughter's experience! My daughter is already a vivid storyteller, so I have no doubt that she'll become a great writer when she's older. 
Thanks meemee,   We want to go in prepared with articles and our first question will be what the teacher's observations are, and then we'll break it down form there. I really don't know that there is something more than "we" know. My feeling is that the school does not understand this and has made this an issue. If it isn't interfering withe her ability to learn and make friends then there is no issue.  If she draws a picture of her family and draws her doll, and her...
It's funny, an article I found last night said that imaginary friends used to be seen as a red flag, but it is not so. I found another article too—even Super Nanny says that it is healthy.   Really our issue here is with the school and their mishandling of the situation. There is no issue with our daughter. She is creative and intelligent and kind.
I din't mean to say the teacher suggested our daughter or us see the psychologist. She just said in our initial meeting that she had never experienced this and she wanted to talk to the school psychologist about our DD's sister doll. I thought that was a "red flag" since it is perfectly normal for a 6 year old to have an imaginary "friend". Since she mentioned it then and has since asked how our conversations at home were going even though she hasn't heard the doll...
I really appreciate this serenbat.  we are not concerned about our daughter except for how this assistant teacher is making her feel by her dismissive statements.  I called my DD's pediatrician today to get her opinion. She said that it is perfectly normal at this age and even older to have imaginary friends and that there is no concern in regards to my daughter. She said it sounds like the teacher is sticking her nose in where it doesn't need to be and then she said good...
        wow, I don't know how you got to that point? My DD is not having imaginary conversations with a dead or missing sibling.   My point here, and I really do appreciate everyone's feedback, is that I know that imaginary friends are normal/common. Anyone that knows my DD knows that she is well-adjusted and happy and imaginative. Her friends play along with her games. She is feeling her way out of this one and says that she really doesn't talk about it at school,...
Thanks meemee,    We did meet with the head teacher before the beginning of the  school year and discussed the miscarriage and the older half sister and our DD's way of coping. After a couple of weeks so asked for a meeting to discuss it and we believe that the head teacher has been supportive to our DD in the classroom, but not the assistant teacher. We like to think this assistant teacher should ignore when our DD is quietly talking with a friend, but by saying she...
I don't think everyone should play along with her, but I don't think she needs a teacher telling her "reality". She is in first grade and as long as she is learning and keeping up academically and making friends then I think the teacher should ignore it when she's talking with a friend. It gets more complicated because she has a real half sister and she says that when she talks about her sister in public at school she is talking about her real half sister because she...
She is fact based, and, no she doesn't make up anything about her parents. it's just that her doll is part of the family.   I'll look into the comic, she might like it, although she usually only likes stories where the main character is female.
Thanks everyone for your input.  I realized that my angry email was inappropriate and sent an email of apology later.     My daughter actually has very strong social skills, and while I think that was the initial concern with the head teacher, I don't believe it is really affecting her with her peers. I think in the beginning of the year she talked about her "sister" more but quickly realized that it was something to keep quiet with only her close friends. I asked her...