or Connect

Posts by ocelotmom

Yeah, I was thinking she meant immediately (within 1-3 hours) after the birth, rather than before leaving the hospital. And I'm pretty sure I have seen it done at that time, which makes no sense unless the family is really pressing to leave immediately. With my homebirth, the midwife did it at the visit the next day. It should be mentioned that this is utterly uninvasive and very simple - a probe stuck on the foot, generally - maybe a little annoying, but not painful. It...
I can totally understand various reasons for not wanting blood tests. I don't understand why you would call them mysterious except to be hyperbolically disparaging. There is no reason for blood tests to be mysterious. Get a list of tests that would be run. Google them, or ask on here for an explanation. Then make an educated decision on whether to refuse some or all of them. Or just decide that you don't think that the possible knowledge gained is worth the...
My experience with morning sickness was somewhat different with each of them.   My first and fourth were moderate - I had a lot of food aversions and nausea, threw up a few times, and lost a little weight. Threw up more with the fourth than the first - getting up at 4:45 for work seemed to aggravate it.   My second was, to my recollection, pretty light. Mostly relatively minor food aversions, no throwing up at all.   My third was awful - food aversions to everything...
PKU should ideally not be done immediately after birth - the byproducts that are being tested for aren't going to be found until the baby has had a chance to eat and digest. Every state recommendation I've looked at says to do it at 24-48 hours for healthy newborns, and again at 7-14 days. So I would question that if they tried to do it in the first few hours after birth. (Though it is done before leaving the hospital - I misread the original question. I'm pretty sure I've...
 I was around a blood sugar sniffing service dog today, and am tempted to just consider that my GD test. I'll probably do fingersticks at some point soon - that seems much more sensible to me than the GTT. I had a blood draw the other day and realized afterwards that I really should have just thrown in an A1C, which isn't the most reliable indicator for GD (it gives a rough average of blood sugar over the past 3 months, so won't show a new onset problem), but would have...
Anyone else thinking about pumping?   I've breastfed three kids essentially exclusively for six months, and continued for 2.5-3.5 years with each. It's strange to me to be at all confused about breastfeeding-related matters. But with the previous kids I wasn't out of the house for more than a few hours at a time until after 6 months. Now I'm working 12 hour shifts, and while I don't plan to work full time during the first 6 months or so, I'll probably be doing 1 or 2...
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201206/eternal-curves might help with perspective.   Not that I'm totally thrilled with my body image right now. I don't get cute-pregnant-belly, either. I started a new job this week, and once again confirmed that, at 24 weeks pregnant with #4, I don't look pregnant. Just thick in the waist. People say I don't look fat, but I can't imagine what I do look like! DH says it just looks like I had a few too many beers, but I'd rather...
 I think just sending the beads out is a better idea anyways - that way people can do whatever works best for them.
Is anyone interested in being a group leader? I'm currently the only active one, and, while I'm not resigning, I'm currently working 60 hour weeks and not really able to keep a close eye on things, so I thought it would be a good idea to have one or two more. Thankfully, you all are a good group and it hasn't exactly been a demanding job!
La Leche League welcomes pregnant women, and, while the primary focus is breastfeeding, all sorts of other things inevitably end up getting discussed as well.