or Connect

Posts by ocelotmom

My work schedule has kept me horribly busy since the holidays, and we haven't been on our normal local thrift store circuit at all. Yesterday I found myself across the street from one of my favorites, and the lady commented that she hadn't seen us for a while. I guess that's an indication of how often we were going before! Found a hotsling for $3 which may or may not work for me - while I'm within the height/weight range for that size, I'm at the upper end of both, so a...
If it helps anyone feel better, I was reading in my nutrition textbook today, and it said that for women gaining equal amounts of weight, those who gained more of it in the second trimester had better fetal outcomes. Isn't that cool?
I took Advil after my last birth and it worked really well. Too well, actually. I think I overdid it because I felt better than I really was. But it definitely helped. And yeah, they get worse each time. None with my first, one horrible 45 minute long one with my second, and lots with my third. So I'll have to find a balance this time. When leg cramps start, I take magnesium supplements the next night, and that seems to keep them from getting worse. I suppose I could...
If he's not the type to read a whole book, the birth partner chapter in Birthing From Within is succinct and good.
I'm not now, but will be in a few months, and have had excess lipase problems in the past.
I agree about convertibles for newborns. We had a Britax convertible seat with my first, and it was great, but not for the first month or so. Maybe it was perfectly safe, but he just looked so little and floppy in it!   This time, we already have a kid in a convertible and a kid in a booster, both less than two years old. When the baby is ready to move out of a bucket seat, the currently-3 year old will be ready to move from convertible to booster, and the current-7 year...
Getting really tired of this round ligament pain business. I didn't have any at all with my first, but it's gotten progressively worse with each one. The last few days it seems to be every time I change position suddenly. 
Yeah, I nursed through pregnancy with my second - the one with the least morning sickness. I do wonder if it helped.   Breast/nipple tenderness has never been a big symptom for me during pregnancy, but with my first and third it was horrible for the first several weeks after birth. With my second - no tenderness at all, and I suspect that was because of nursing through pregnancy.
 Yeah, I was thinking she meant immediately (within 1-3 hours) after the birth, rather than before leaving the hospital. And I'm pretty sure I have seen it done at that time, which makes no sense unless the family is really pressing to leave immediately. With my homebirth, the midwife did it at the visit the next day. It should be mentioned that this is utterly uninvasive and very simple - a probe stuck on the foot, generally - maybe a little annoying, but not painful. It...
I can totally understand various reasons for not wanting blood tests. I don't understand why you would call them mysterious except to be hyperbolically disparaging. There is no reason for blood tests to be mysterious. Get a list of tests that would be run. Google them, or ask on here for an explanation. Then make an educated decision on whether to refuse some or all of them. Or just decide that you don't think that the possible knowledge gained is worth the...