or Connect

Posts by mrspineau

Quote: Originally Posted by mamazee There are many more shades of gray as to what is "fair" or "rude" as they get older. It usually boils down to a difference fo opinion rather than actual unfairness or rudeness, and that's something they have to work out on their own. I think that the basic rule of thumb though that we need to teach our children is that you treat others the way you want to be treated. And I think that they only get that when...
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie "controlling the childs every action would be to step in at every situation and stop them from doing any and everything. but if my kid is being rude to someone, or being unfair in any way, then thats not okay with me." See, in my opinion, "letting" them do whatever you would do in a situation is not freedom. I don't remember how old your child is, but does this mean you never let them do anything that you...
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie "BUT. Parents need to supervise their kids. Older, younger, whatever." "no one here is saying to step in when your child is doing something that they should be doing, but to step in when they are being rude or disrespectful. I don't get why doing so is considered hovering." Because controlling your child's every single action, unless it's what you already wanted them to do, is hovering. Because kids need...
Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy I agree with you EXCEPT things like climbing up the slide. I have to say it drives me crazy when parents let their kids climb up the slide while there are lots of other kids around (I have no problem if the park is mostly deserted) because -- especially with those spiral slides (which of course are the most fun to climb up) you can't see if someone's coming down/up. I would hate for my kid to accidentally slide...
children need to learn that there are all sorts of other people in the world, all ages, sizes, etc. not just babies, but just other people. they need to learn to be respectful of all others. it doesnt matter whether they are being disrespectful to a baby, to a child their age, or to an adult. if they are acting inappropriately, then their parent should step in and tell them that it's not okay. whether they are in their own home, a park, someone elses home, at the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreeblim The OP was not talking about intervening when her child was the bully...she was talking about intervening when her child was the target. . well, maybe I took the OP wrong, but to me it meant that she wished that the parents and nannies of the other children would step in when they are being unfair to her "target" child. That's really the problem, is when parents think that throwing sand is a perfectly okay...
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie Thanks to those who pointed out that I meant it's the kids' domain, not the grown-ups. . I know you meant the child's domain. I said that it isnt just YOUR CHILDS domain, it is for all of the children. perhaps read the post again.
Well I guess IMO then if being a helicoptor parent means that we intervene when our children are treating others unfairly, and making sure that they are safe then that's what I want to be. as for letting children work things out for themselves, take child A for example then, who is the one being bossy, not sharing, throwing sand, etc. then take child B who doesnt stick up for himself. let them work it out then, and whos going to be the clear winner? Child A. then, if...
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie "They can't work everything out on their own yet and it's the less agressive children, like my son, who get the short end of the stick." I don't think it's fair to ask the other minders / parents to suddenly turn into helicopters because your child is sensitive. He's your sensitive kid so you are going to have to be a buffer for him. If I were there, here is what might happen with our kids. Now my child is not...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan It's 18 month olds to 5 year olds. There is a safety issue, period. Especially if you've got some 2-3 year olds in the phase of hitting to ask for a toy stage. I agree. I don't think it has anything to do with "hovering" or being a "helicoptor", I think it has to do with looking out for your child's well being. My son is 2 and when I take him to the park, there are often older kids there who run ver...