or Connect

Posts by Hippie Mama in MI

My ds is 5 and starting first grade on May 1st. We are following the Well Trained Mind program, blending Charlotte Mason with Classical and unit studies. Just what does that mean?   Charlotte Mason elements: Narration, copy work, Picture Study of great works by master artists. Living books. Done with lessons by noon.   Classical elements: We follow the Trivium, which means we study history chronologically and go through all of recorded history every 4 years. My...
I vote yes on homeschool. It sounds like the right thing for your situation.   And I would like to very, very gently present you with a possibility you may not have considered: Perhaps the problem is not with your child at all. Perhaps it is the SCHOOL that has the problem. In my humble opinion, school people like to toss around the term "learning disabled" to draw attention away from their own shortcomings. It is quite possible that, given the intellectual freedom...
I'm glad he came around a bit. Kudos for sticking to your guns.   Now that you have a foot in the door, you're golden... wink wink.
I got some uneasy remarks when I announced my ds would be homeschooled. He was only 2 at the time, so some of my relatives said "There's time to change your mind."  Later on, as I began actually homeschooling my son, my grandmother called me and said "If you want to send him to that Montessori school up the road from you, I'll pay for it."   Now my son is now five, in first grade, and he reads like a champion. He says words like "australopithecus". He devours...
He wants to send his child to public school to "get his tax dollar's worth?"   I find this a bit off-putting. Would he also send his child to prison for the same reason?
My son is 4 and a half. We have been informally homeschooling since he was 3. We do mostly what he wants to do; right now he CHOOSES to do so much stuff, it can be hard to keep track of it all. He's very motivated.   I have a "current yearly goals" list for him, which I update about once every 4 months. I just jot down what our current goals are, for each "subject." He's only 4, so our subjects are math, reading and writing, music, art, and life skills.   We are...
I shop every 2 weeks, when dh gets paid. Then, the following day I cook most of it (generally between 20-25 meals at a go).   I bake whole wheat bread, super healthy, with only yeast, whole wheat flour and water. I usually make * loaves' worth. I bake two right then, and freeze the other doughs for pizza and fresh bread later on.   I make a large batch of chocolate chip oatmeal peanut butter cookies (about 60 cookie batch), freeze half, bake the other...
Ok, I wanna play... I don't know about the Wal Mart is YOUR area, but in our area the local Wal Marts are undergoing a radical layout change. Rather than having long aisles that run paralell to each other, the aisles are now all crazy and every-which-way. It is literally like a rat maze when you walk in. Hundreds of short, zig-zagging aisles. And EVERYTHING in the store has been moved to an entirely new location. I went in there today for Pull Ups and the area was now...
First, go to the bathroom, shut the door, turn lights off & cry like a baby for 5 minutes. Then meditate for 10 minutes, wash face and comb hair.\ Then drive to McDonalds for a mocha frappe. Ahh. So Much cheaper than therapy...
You can see from my siggie that I'm one busy babe. Homeschooling, housework, running my jewelry business, and gardening and preserving our food takes MOUNTAINS of time. But every Monday, I decamp. I leave. I take the afternoon and evening and go surf the web, or catch up on some personal projects that need attention, or whatever. I take my 6 hours a week no matter what... unless somebody is sick. Then all bets are off. Myy secret advice is to have an excuse. Tell your...