or Connect

Posts by Hippie Mama in MI

My 3.5 yo ds began "homeschool" this January. Our philosophy is thst he's too young for much formal learning and should have most of the next few years to play. We set aside 2 mornings a week for "homeschooling" which usually includes art, letter writing practice and coloring sheets centered around a theme ("Gardens" this week). The rest of the time, we read to him and provide workbook pages, puzzles, games and blocks to him at his request only. He colors. He draws letters...
That is so funny! I am planning a preschool gardening unit for my own son (nickname: Boo!). Here's some of what's planned: Go to a local farm & check out animals & how "fertilizer" is made Spread said fertilizer on our garden Plant peas, carrots, beans, and onions He is getting a small gardening space of his own to grow cukes Poetry about sprouting seeds He can draw his own imaginary dream garden (that will grow anything) Checking out baby chicks at a local feed...
Sorry, I don't have any good advice here, but in fact I'm wondering many of the same things about my ancient orchard. I have 3 apples and a pear tree, all of which haven't been pruned since 1920 (if ever). I love these trees and my great-great grandfather planted them. So I'm scared to even consider pruning! I'll be watching this thread with much interest. Hope you get the answers you need for your own tree! Kate
Hello. I did tomatoes in big (5-gallon) pots on the porch one summer. I am sorry to report that they grew huge and healthy, but all 10 plants never gave me enough tomatoes to fill a quart jar. My mom told me it was because tomatoes resent pots, haha. So if it was me, I'd stick them in the beds. Just IMHO.
We have a 50 x 100 ft garden in Northern Michigan (deer central). We had problems with the deer getting in until we devised this system: use TALL cedar poles (trees about 12' high are excellent if you did know somebody) or other tall poles run your regular heavy 4ft high wire fencing (not chickenwire, the good stuff with the rectangles) around these posts THEN hang barbed wire between the tops of the poles, way up high and leaving it with lots of slack to droop down...
Up here in Northern Michigan, it's just the start of the gardening season. But we are planning: burpee big boy tomatoes early girl tomatoes jet star tomatoes red cherry tomatoes brussels sprouts (first time trying these) broccoli onions watermelons (starting indoors) peas beans carrots raspberries rhubarb acorn squash zucchini I can't really take credit for the raspberries and rhubarb as these were planted over 30 years ago. But the rest I can! Yesterday we hauled 2...
Quote: Originally Posted by ramlita "You have to drink milk to make milk." I can't believe that one is still around. And to make poop... ???????
Okay, so my tortured-genius-type father says he built a windmill himself out of wood, with a generator from a tractor on it. He says it charged a car battery. He is not the lying type but I wonder if anyone else has heard of this idea, or if the idea is mechanically sound. I am considering trying to reproduce this windmill on my own property, on a larger scale.
And is it warm in winter using only the wood heat? DH and I are talking about building a house that is stone on the first floor, with a log loft. We would be using wood heat only (radiant floor heated by the woodstove), and our winters here are 7 months long with lows of 20 below zero. I am pretty confident that the insulated stone part of the house will be airtight. But I'm not familiar with log, and am concerned about holes! Any thoughts?
Quote: Originally Posted by maplesugar I know we are lucky, but my grandparents have a ton of land and they are letting us build out back/ use their barn. Relatives can be a good resource if you have any. We are in Northern Michigan and it seems like land is going for way cheap around here. If you can find an impoverished area such as this and buy a few acres, now is a good time. We plan to build real cheap, probably cob or cordwoon. We have little...