or Connect

Posts by emaye_to_2

Thanks Mamas. Isn't that the worst feeling, when your child gets upset and you're not there? He told me no one was being mean to him per se or teasing him or hurt him. It was just that 'nobody likes me'. I think it was an overwhelming first day. He stayed up too late the night before, he did not eat the lunch we packed, they were outside all day. And he didn't immediately click with any of the other kids. He is grudgingly willing to go back for one more day. If he...
I'm so upset right now. My son started a Nature Day Camp today from 9am - 3pm. He just turned 7 and is a smallish high-energy kid. There were 10 kids from age 7-8 in the group. When my husband picked him up he was crying hard and told him that he did not want to go back the next day because "nobody liked him". Apparently there was one kid that didn't like him and he was popular with the other campers. It sounded like the camp counselors tried to be supportive and help him...
I have two children: DS 7 and DD 4. My son, #1, is the most challenging for me.
Woodstock is our neighborhood school but we decided to enter the school lottery for Lewis School for my son and he got in. He is going into second grade. I have nothing but good things to say about Lewis. It feels like a community of involved families. Lewis has won awards for its environmental focus and "green" updates. I think you should check out the Woodstock/Lewis neighborhood. We are happy here. I will agree tho that Portland Public Schools have many issues. The...
My first labor was a difficult 15.5 hours including 2.5 hours of pushing. When I was pregnant with my second, interestingly, my midwife kept telling me that second births could go a lot faster. I didn't believe her and prepared myself for another long labor. My DD's labor was barely three hours. I called my husband at 4:30pm and told him I thought I was in labor. By 5:30pm I was in the shower and stuck in the bathroom. When I got in to the birth center I remember...
Hmm.. tomatoes (altho I'm learning to like them as an adult, especially small ones), olives, beets (never experienced fresh tho) and canned tuna fish. My sister and my children have an aversion to tomatoes too; our pedi said it was probably a food allergy of sorts.
My four year old is a good sleeper. She'll go to sleep about 8:30 most nights and wake up at 8:00 or so. She hasn't napped in a long time.
Well age-wise I have noticed that still in kindergarten around here all parents attend birthdays. However, now in first grade it is OK to drop the kids off (it is also usually OK if parents want to stay too). As for play dates, my DD is four and she goes over to her friend's houses for play dates for a couple hours tops.
Um, I definitely would NOT let my pre-kindy child see Avatar. My son is finishing first grade and is not allowed to see it. Also, I probably would not let my son go to any movie theatre with someone we do not know well or to any movie that I do not know much about. Seriously, I wonder about movie content and ratings these days.. In regards to play dates and movies, the ONLY time this has come up is when my son has a friend sleepover. On those nights I check with his...
I can definitely sympathize with you. My son is turning 7 next week (!!) and the only thing he's really asked for is a Nintendo DS. He definitely thinks having a game system is cool. My line when he asks is something like "Do you see your daddy with a game system? If he doesn't have one, then you won't either." Point is, our family decided not to bring that into our home. He is allowed to play computer games on the laptop and does plenty of it. I guess I just feel like...