or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Unassisted Childbirth › WWYD if you went into labor preterm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WWYD if you went into labor preterm? - Page 2

post #21 of 58
Someone directed me to this post, as I don't often post here anymore (infact it's been over a year, I'm sure). I had a 37 weeker (hospital) with my first (girl) and everything was 100% perfect with her. No "sticky lungs" or anything like that.

My third baby (second UC, boy) was born at 35 weeks, 4 days. I really believe he WOULD have been fine. Maybe just sticky lungs. However, there was an undetected infection in our bodies (I had flu-like symptoms for the last 4-5 days, which should have been a tip off, but no one thought anything of it). His placenta also ruptured and died somewhere in that last week. So he came out purple, non pulsing cord, placenta in pieces, I hemorrhaged, his placenta was very gray in color, and he was struggling to breathe. It took about 45 minutes and between the two of our problems we decided to head to the hospital. The only reason I decided to wait this amount of time, is because I know other mama's who's baby would sometimes take up to an hour to fully pink up. Seth would start to turn pink, catch his breath, and then start struggling again. He ended up spending 3 weeks and 12 hours in the NICU. He was diagnosed with having premature lung disease and "an infection" in his body. (no term was ever given for the infection. He was just put on a lot of medications, and had breathing tubes up his nose for almost the whole 3 weeks)

Honestly, 35 weeks is still my *cutoff* time. I'm not scared about UCing a premie of this age again, despite the problems with DS, because we know that the problems were caused by the infection.

Also, I pointed out "Girl" and "boy" because (as even the NICU nurses will tell you) girls are almost always stronger than boys, and will have less problems than boys at an earlier age. (It's actually a joke, in a lot of NICUs, that because a majority of babies that come in there are white boys, they are "Whimpy white boys", it's funny in an ironic sort of way. I've known a handful of baby white boys who've had problems, but really no girls. So if you're white and having a boy, that's another thing to consider in this decision!)

HTH!!
post #22 of 58
Thread Starter 
Wow, lots of replies! Great! I think the only possible conclusion is that they key is to listen to your own instincts when you do go into labor, pretty much as in any other case, preterm or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeHasAFunnyWay View Post
Also, I pointed out "Girl" and "boy" because (as even the NICU nurses will tell you) girls are almost always stronger than boys, and will have less problems than boys at an earlier age. (It's actually a joke, in a lot of NICUs, that because a majority of babies that come in there are white boys, they are "Whimpy white boys", it's funny in an ironic sort of way. I've known a handful of baby white boys who've had problems, but really no girls. So if you're white and having a boy, that's another thing to consider in this decision!)

HTH!!
This is interesting, and something I didn't know... Being a woman I do think it makes sense though . I do meet all the criteria too, so it will be taken into account if preterm labor does happen. Thanfully time is kind of running out for that though :
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I think the only possible conclusion is that they key is to listen to your own instincts when you do go into labor, pretty much as in any other case, preterm or not.
Yes, definitely. I was going to come back and edit my post to say something similar, and got busy and forgot.

I had a gut feeling through my whole pregnancy with DS that something was going to go wrong at the end, but that I should still labor and birth alone at home. Honestly, I am so glad I did. I would not go back in time and go to the hospital in place of UC. If I'd gone to the hospital, chances are they would have tried to stop labor (causing him to die) or given me a C (making things so much worse, esp since I was already bleeding so much. They were about to suggest a transfusion right when the PIT kicked in and my uterus finally clamped down. I can't imagine what would have happened with a C.).

Obviously though, if you have any inkling that you SHOULD go to the hospital, then get going! Never disregard your own instinctual feelings. They're usually right.

Quote:
Thanfully time is kind of running out for that though
: awesome!
post #24 of 58
My absolute "cut off" time is the 34 wk mark. After that I would take it on a case by case basis made on intuition, Godly wisdom, and basic comon sense.
post #25 of 58
I would feel comfortable birthing a baby from about 35 weeks on, but that is because I live close to a hospital and I have previously birthed at 37(water ruptured at 36w5) weeks to a 7lb3oz. perfectly ready baby. Also, like PP's I feel strongly about listening to by intuition(isn't that a big part of UCing anyways), and if anything was telling me to get it to the hospital or to get assistance, I would in a heartbeat.
post #26 of 58
I like one of the previous posters said, between 36 and 37 weeks depending on intuition. I read a story recently about a 36 w 5-6 days babe born with breathing difficulties at home who passed away the next morning. In that situation, I may had gone ahead with the homebirth (depending on what my intuition was telling me) but then taken the baby in as precaution. To me, seeing a babe that early with difficulties, I'd automatically assume preterm and seek medical assistance. I'm so sad for that family of that baby, but I am greatful that we mamas can learn from each other.
post #27 of 58
For me it would depend if I knew for sure my dates. If I knew for sure I was over 37 weeks I would stay home. Earlier than that, I don't know. It would depend how I had been feeling and what my gut was telling me to do.
post #28 of 58
It's really individual, IMO. With DS, I still kick myself for not staying home at 35 weeks 5 days. I originally said I would wait until 36/37 weeks with this pregnancy, but have been doing a lot of reading and am completely at peace with anything after 34 weeks. It is something that I will pray about with EACH pregnancy. Just because I feel that I would stay home with this baby at 34 weeks doesn't mean my next baby will be the same way. We're also only 5 minutes max from a hospital, so a transfer would be fairly quick and easy if needed.

Somebody just posted on another UC site an article that I really found touching and kind of cemented my feelings on early babies. Let me see if I can find it...
post #29 of 58
Quote:
(It's actually a joke, in a lot of NICUs, that because a majority of babies that come in there are white boys, they are "Whimpy white boys", it's funny in an ironic sort of way. I've known a handful of baby white boys who've had problems, but really no girls. So if you're white and having a boy, that's another thing to consider in this decision!)
Yes, my mother is a pediatrician and has said the same thing. She said strength or health of newborns is almost always in order; white girls, black girls, black boys, white boys. She said they call white boys "stupid" which I think is horrible But it's the way it is, according to people who see NICU babies every single day. (I wonder where Hispanic children or mixed race fit in, I'll have to ask her.)
post #30 of 58
Yeah, I apparently "got lucky" (in reality my body KNEW that something was going wrong and grew DS in response) that my 35 week 5 day little white boy was fine.
post #31 of 58


For me my personal cut off would be 35wks anything earlier and i'd probably go to the hospital to get checked out. My daughter was born in a hospital at 35wks6days and was 7lbs 13oz 20".

post #32 of 58
Ok, sorry it took so long, but I finally found the article I was talking about:

http://web.archive.org/web/200202230...e%20Childbirth

You have to go down to FAQ's and then to "What would you do if you went into labor prematurely?" Really good article with lots of things to think about.
post #33 of 58
I'm not a UC'er, and therefore what I have to say on this issue may not be welcome here. I'm not sure how to formulate a response to the above article that doesn't violate the UA. Basically, it boils down to this. The author of that article talks about birthing a baby as premature as 30 weeks gestational age at home, unassisted, and then goes on to say: "In the absence of severe breathing difficulty I would definitely care for my baby at home, away from hostile foreign germs."

It is a very rare 30 weeker that would be born without severe breathing difficulty. I won't say it never happens, because doubtless there is someone who can provide an anecdote to the contrary. But an infant weighing 2 pounds and 10 weeks away from term is almost certainly going to have breathing difficulty, and is quite likely to have lungs immature enough that they have not yet produced surfactant, which means the baby's lungs will collapse without treatment.
post #34 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Ok, sorry it took so long, but I finally found the article I was talking about:

http://web.archive.org/web/200202230...e%20Childbirth

You have to go down to FAQ's and then to "What would you do if you went into labor prematurely?" Really good article with lots of things to think about.
Really good in some aspects but really dangerous in others. The opinion that a 30 weeker would survive, let alone thrive, at home even under the best care, is ignorant and far reaching. Before 37 weeks I would not be anywhere but a hospital (I had 2 bad hospital births, 1 horrible hospital birth and 1 amazing UC)...maybe 36 weeks, maybe. Before that is playing with your life and most importantly your child's life. Go to the hospital if you aren't term, please.
post #35 of 58
I liked the advice regarding premature care in the article, with the exception of the gestational age. I have done my own research (tons and tons of it) and would do exactly what that article suggests if I had a baby 34 wks or more. However, I do believe that suggesting that a truly 30 weeker could survive without some sort of medical treatment is ignorant of gestational conditions of a 30 wk baby. Perhaps it could happen, but I find it highly unlikely.

But at 34 wks, absolutly do-able, for me.
post #36 of 58
Thread Starter 
I think we all agree that 30 weeks is too early for a preemie to be birthed at home. I like the rest of the article, and also think the point she makes about dating a pregnancy is a valid one.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I think we all agree that 30 weeks is too early for a preemie to be birthed at home. I like the rest of the article, and also think the point she makes about dating a pregnancy is a valid one.
It might be more difficult to date a pregnancy if you aren't planning. But when I tried to conceive, I charted my cycles, planned when to have intercourse, and took a pregnancy test about 2 weeks later. I'd have to say my dates were fairly accurate. Even if you are not planning, having your dates wrong by 10 full weeks seems unlikely. If you're wrong by a couple of weeks, it might mean the difference between birthing a 36 week baby at home versus a term baby. That's a lot different than a 30 week versus a term baby.
post #38 of 58
Perhaps my opinion doesn't count because I had midwife assisted, or rather midwife observed, homebirths.

But, IMO, medical care is there for medical events. Birth is not inheriently a medical event when its safe and normal. Premature labor and birth is not safe nor normal.

IMO, its not responsible to give your child at least adequate medical care to meet their needs. That doesn't mean you have to walk into the hospital lay down and take whatever they give you. But special circumstances do necessitate special care.

This would be one of the times in which I'd be thrilled and thankful that OBs are there and trained with all their machinery to help my baby be born safely.

In other words....Get Thee to a Hospital!
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I liked the advice regarding premature care in the article, with the exception of the gestational age. I have done my own research (tons and tons of it) and would do exactly what that article suggests if I had a baby 34 wks or more. However, I do believe that suggesting that a truly 30 weeker could survive without some sort of medical treatment is ignorant of gestational conditions of a 30 wk baby. Perhaps it could happen, but I find it highly unlikely.

But at 34 wks, absolutly do-able, for me.
I, totally agree! I can't imagine staying home with a 30 week baby. But I liked the rest of the article. I will be 34 weeks tomorrow and I feel comfortable having the baby at any point from now only (although I'd prefer to make it to 36 weeks, personally). A lady on another of my boards just had an emergency c-section at 35 weeks and her baby was 7lbs 2oz! DS was 5lbs 8oz at 35 weeks and perfectly healthy (other than FTT, but that was caused by *my* body not making any milk, not by anything wrong with him).
post #40 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli View Post
It might be more difficult to date a pregnancy if you aren't planning. But when I tried to conceive, I charted my cycles, planned when to have intercourse, and took a pregnancy test about 2 weeks later. I'd have to say my dates were fairly accurate. Even if you are not planning, having your dates wrong by 10 full weeks seems unlikely. If you're wrong by a couple of weeks, it might mean the difference between birthing a 36 week baby at home versus a term baby. That's a lot different than a 30 week versus a term baby.
Not 10 weeks, not likely at least . But it might mean the difference between 34 weeks and 36 weeks for instance, which could make all the difference. Again, I think trusting your instincts is probably the most important. Laboring and birthing at home and then transferring is also an option, of course.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Unassisted Childbirth
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Unassisted Childbirth › WWYD if you went into labor preterm?