or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Would you ever own a gun?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you ever own a gun? - Page 2

post #21 of 165
Thread Starter 
[QUOTE=MaterPrimaePuellae;12653164]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Lee View Post
If you decide to get one, definitely take the classes, especially the advanced ones with emphasis on self defense. And practice practice practice! When you aren't comfortable handling a weapon is when accidents are most likely to happen. QUOTE]

This is very good advice.
ITA - good suggestion
post #22 of 165
We have 4 guns in the house. All loaded ready to shoot. They are kept high where kids can't reach and the shotgun (which, like pp said, is too heavy for the kids to even lift) stays under the bed and I can hardly rack it so I know it will be a long time before the kids can. The kids know not to touch the guns, but they also are not scared of them. All 3 of the kids learned to shoot last Thanksgiving. We didn't shoot anything but a tree stump, but we feel it is important to not be afraid of guns and not be curious about them either. That is when kids accidently shoot themselves or others. They know all the rules, kwim? And they know if they want to shoot, we will take them.
Yes, occasionally a kid gets a hold of a gun and shoots himself and the media makes a huge deal about it. Just like when a baby dies of SIDS and they were in bed with their parents they want to say co-sleeping is bad.

Anyway, an armed society is a polite society.

I also carry one whenever I am going to be out after dark. Or when I go running early in the am. How many times have you heard of women being killed while out jogging? I hear that ALL the time.
post #23 of 165
No. Quite honestly, I think I would be more likely to hurt myself or another person I did not intend to hurt if I were to handle a gun in the event of a home invasion.

I have 2 dogs that make a ridiculous ruckus if anyone even comes near the house. It is not fool proof protection obviously, but it does help me feel better.

I keep doors locked and I don't open the door for anyone I don't know well.
post #24 of 165
Yes & we do.
post #25 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomma View Post
So, would you ever consider having a gun? If you have one, where do you keep it?
No, never would. When we lived in rural Maine, before children, it crossed our minds. Still decided against.

if you're really concerned about home security - get a home security system, motion sensor lights outside, a fence, & a dog. In order for your gun to be reachable in an emergency, I'd think it would be too accessible for children.
post #26 of 165
We own 2 hand guns and several shotguns....I love to shoot things (inanimate objects)! Everyone around here has guns and we have no home robberies - you'd get shot! I live in a rural area so it's a little different. I am scared about letting my kids go over to other people's houses because of guns - not knowing how they are locked up etc....though.
post #27 of 165
I wouldn't own a gun. I certainly wouldn't own a gun with children in the house. Most of the studies I've come across have told me that you are more likely to get shot by your own gun then by someone breaking into your house with a gun.

I have nothing against gun owners, provided they are responsible. If someone has a gun in their home, DD won't be going there until I know for sure the guns are safely locked away. To many people think it's ok to keep a gun on the top shelf because "The kids can't reach it."

And despite all that, we still teach gun safety because you can never know.
post #28 of 165
nope and like other's have said I wouldn't even consider it with children in the home. But then I have no reason to be afraid and can't imagine using a gun anyway, for any reason actually. They kinda freak me out to be honest.

We live in a area with very low crime, have a security alarm that's set for all doors and windows as well as motion detector lights in the front and back yard. Also, I live across the street from a cop and here they drive their squad cars home so his sits in his driveway.
post #29 of 165
I have a gun. Actually, I have two.

I grew up around guns. I was at the shooting range by age 5. And could shoot properly and quite well by age 8. I could recite you gun safety and responsibility backwards and forwards by age 4.

Until I was 18, I had NO idea where the guns were kept in the house. The guns and bullets were kept separately. In separate safes.

I have followed the same protocol with which I grew up. I keep my guns in one safe. I keep my bullets in another. ALWAYS. I am NEVER lazy or lax about this - despite the fact that we have no kids yet.

I was taught that there is NO such thing as an accident with a gun. Only irresponsible use. And I think this is 100% true. A gun will not harm you, unless you use it in an ignorant way or in a way that lacks responsibility.

I have never had an accident, no one in my family has had an accident, and no responsible gun owner that I know has ever had an accident.

But, this takes vigilance. So, when I come home from the gun range (it's a good stress release, lol), if I'm tired or worn out or want a shower or am hungry - doesn't matter. I ALWAYS put the guns away in the safe, the bullets in the other safe. That is the first thing I do, and I've never forgotten.

I can't stress that enough. Guns can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

So, I would DEFINITELY take lessons first before purchasing a gun. First, it's pointless to own a gun if you don't know how to shoot a target. Second, guns require proper handling, storage, and cleaning. Improper use can result in accidents ... so definitely take the lessons first.

Otherwise, you sound like you're being smart about this. So, go to the shooting range, try out a few guns, and see how it feels. If you don't like it, don't feel comfortable - don't get one. If you're OK with it - get one. Remember, a gun, alone, can't hurt you. Only you can hurt yourself or another with the way you use it. So, if you're safe about it - there's no danger.

In fact, more people and kids get stabbed with knives in the kitchen than harmed with a gun. Statistically speaking, of course.
post #30 of 165
Never ever. Don't even want to touch one. If I lived in an area dangerous enough to make me consider guns, I would move.
post #31 of 165
No. I would never purchase a gun. I would never allow a gun in my home.
post #32 of 165
Yes, we own several. DH and I shoot them on a regular basis, DH carries one concealed. He also carries one on duty.

They are all kept loaded and ready in our gun safe (which is locked and bolted to our bedroom floor right next to our bed). We realize that guns are tools and can, and should, be used for specific purposes. It is when people are ignorant of that fact that "bad things" happen.

I would also NEVER leave a gun out where it was accessible to my children. I don't care how high or how well-hidden, I believe it's irresponsible.

I would NVER have an unloaded gun with ammo elsewhere. People seem to think that it's "safer", but if you actually need the weapon, you can't run and get it, then run to where the ammo is and then load it properly under stress in any reasonable amount of time. Pointless.

I am very straight-forward to others (my kids' parents, friends, family) and also inquire about houses that my own LOs go to.
post #33 of 165

Knowledge is power!

Thanks Libertymom! I completely agree!
The sound of breaking glass when you are alone with the kids is a bad time to wish you had a gun. Teach the kids to be safe! But don't make it a mystery; thats when things go wrong! To further libertymom's point...we drive cars everyday, even though we might get in an accident. But we had a lot of practice and education before we got behind the wheel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertymom View Post
We have 4 guns in the house. All loaded ready to shoot. They are kept high where kids can't reach and the shotgun (which, like pp said, is too heavy for the kids to even lift) stays under the bed and I can hardly rack it so I know it will be a long time before the kids can. The kids know not to touch the guns, but they also are not scared of them. All 3 of the kids learned to shoot last Thanksgiving. We didn't shoot anything but a tree stump, but we feel it is important to not be afraid of guns and not be curious about them either. That is when kids accidently shoot themselves or others. They know all the rules, kwim? And they know if they want to shoot, we will take them.
Yes, occasionally a kid gets a hold of a gun and shoots himself and the media makes a huge deal about it. Just like when a baby dies of SIDS and they were in bed with their parents they want to say co-sleeping is bad.

Anyway, an armed society is a polite society.

I also carry one whenever I am going to be out after dark. Or when I go running early in the am. How many times have you heard of women being killed while out jogging? I hear that ALL the time.
post #34 of 165
A friend of mine's husband owned a gun store. he used to say something that always stuck with me.

"No person should ever purchase a gun for protection if they are not fully prepared to kill a person"

I think if you are not 100% comfortable with the idea then it's not a good one for your family.
post #35 of 165
I would consider it if we moved to a rural area in the mountains for protection against bears and other wild life. But staying in the city, probably not.
post #36 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertymom View Post

Anyway, an armed society is a polite society.
I disagree so vehemently with this idea.

No. I do not own a gun. I don't want to predict the future so I cannot honestly say that I will NEVER own a gun. I do not want to own one, however, and I don't foresee that changing anytime in the near future.

I'm not against kids learning about guns. I'm against guns.
post #37 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I have a gun. Actually, I have two.

I grew up around guns. I was at the shooting range by age 5. And could shoot properly and quite well by age 8. I could recite you gun safety and responsibility backwards and forwards by age 4.

Until I was 18, I had NO idea where the guns were kept in the house. The guns and bullets were kept separately. In separate safes.

I have followed the same protocol with which I grew up. I keep my guns in one safe. I keep my bullets in another. ALWAYS. I am NEVER lazy or lax about this - despite the fact that we have no kids yet.

I was taught that there is NO such thing as an accident with a gun. Only irresponsible use. And I think this is 100% true. A gun will not harm you, unless you use it in an ignorant way or in a way that lacks responsibility.

I have never had an accident, no one in my family has had an accident, and no responsible gun owner that I know has ever had an accident.

But, this takes vigilance. So, when I come home from the gun range (it's a good stress release, lol), if I'm tired or worn out or want a shower or am hungry - doesn't matter. I ALWAYS put the guns away in the safe, the bullets in the other safe. That is the first thing I do, and I've never forgotten.

I can't stress that enough. Guns can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

So, I would DEFINITELY take lessons first before purchasing a gun. First, it's pointless to own a gun if you don't know how to shoot a target. Second, guns require proper handling, storage, and cleaning. Improper use can result in accidents ... so definitely take the lessons first.

Otherwise, you sound like you're being smart about this. So, go to the shooting range, try out a few guns, and see how it feels. If you don't like it, don't feel comfortable - don't get one. If you're OK with it - get one. Remember, a gun, alone, can't hurt you. Only you can hurt yourself or another with the way you use it. So, if you're safe about it - there's no danger.

In fact, more people and kids get stabbed with knives in the kitchen than harmed with a gun. Statistically speaking, of course.
Very well stated. imo guns are tools & therefore not inherently "bad" or automatically dangerous, but need to be treated with respect & knowledge.
post #38 of 165
No.

If I were ever to have a gun, in order to feel safe with kids in the house, I'd have to (a) have a trigger lock (b) keep the key somewhere else (c) keep the ammunition locked up somewhere else.

So, what are the chances, if there's an intruder, that I'm going to be able to unlock the trigger, unlock the ammunition, and put the 2 together in order to be able to defend myself? Logicistically it doesn't make sense.

Add to that the fact that I'm absolutely opposed to handguns, and no, I wouldn't.

If I hunted (and would eat the meat) that would be one thing. But we're not a hunting family and never have been. (My dad used to hunt, and quit after a friend of his nearly blew off my dad's foot. My dad grew up on a farm in a rural area and so it wasn't because he was opposed to killing animals, he just didnt' think it was safe!)

So for us, a gun would be a source of danger, not protection.

If I were worried about my physical safety in the house, I'd get an alarm that was linked to an alarm service.

For chickens, I'd build a chicken coop with a sturdy fence around it and either hope that was enough or get a dog (if the chickens are in the fenced area, the dog will stay out, and the possums/raccoons will be less likely to come in). Don't farm dogs learn not to chase chickens?
post #39 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
A friend of mine's husband owned a gun store. he used to say something that always stuck with me.

"No person should ever purchase a gun for protection if they are not fully prepared to kill a person"

I think if you are not 100% comfortable with the idea then it's not a good one for your family.
See that I don't totally agree with. If your fully prepared to kill someone then you need to rethink whether or not you should have a gun. They scariest thing I ever hear in relation to guns is "If someone breaks into my house I will shoot to kill without a second though."

The only way to be fully and completely prepared to kill another human being is if you can do it without the emotional consequences. Otherwise, your simple prepared to fire and accept that death may happen as a result and you will likely (and hopefully) experience an emotional backlash for it.
post #40 of 165
No, we live in a fairly rough area of the Paris suburbs but even then it wouldn't really dawn on me to have one? but I guess that we don't really go out after sundown or things like that - so by some ways we are curbing our activities; although my father had one when we lived out in the back of beyond lol, he gave it up when the new gun licencing laws came in, in the UK, guns across here in europe aren't as widely kept as in the US I think, or at least it sounds - they scare me a bit, however, having a dog might not scare them off either if some one is intent on breaking into your house, my uncle's two black labs were drugged and the theives only robbed the ground floor of his house, he slept through the whole thing.

Anyway for the chickens, we had chickens and had a slight problem with foxes, and my mum bought guinea fowl which screeched and squawked at anything, geese too are quite good guard dogs, but we did lock up the poultry every night just before sundown to eleviate any problems; so I think an air rifle would be my choice in that you would frighten them off - I mean the possums and racoons - (or at least I would hope that it would) without actually having a serious weapon around - although a friend of my brother's shot my brother by accident in the back of the leg - he just wasn't gun aware - and wanted to see if it would hurt!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Would you ever own a gun?