or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › Have you lost weight with the coconut oil?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have you lost weight with the coconut oil?

post #1 of 324
Thread Starter 
So I started out this whole thing reading Eat Fat Lose Fat...I try adding the coconut oil in each morning, I can't do all 3 meals, its just too much.
Ok, so thats 180 calories...and with my cod liver oil that makes my supplements at 300 calories a day which is a lot that I'd rather be eating in food...I just don't find it filling me up like it claims to and I'm not sure what it might be doing with my metabolism...
Anyway, thought I'd check with you all to see who has had some luck with it...
post #2 of 324
Way too much!!!! I have to limit my CO intake, or I loose to much weight. That and ACV.
post #3 of 324
I'm distinctly warmer now that I'm consuming coconut fat regularly (I'm doing it with coconut milk). My thyroid was very low a few years ago, and I got it up to where I was feeling functional but not great, and now I feel probably just slightly off. So I could see weight loss happening in someone else with this scenario. But most of my weight came off when I cut out a couple allergenic foods, for me gluten and dairy. The weight just fell off, without effort (I was just trying to feed the family now that we were gfcf, so I'd eat as much as I wanted). So I'd consider whether there could be a food intolerance as well.
post #4 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'm distinctly warmer now that I'm consuming coconut fat regularly (I'm doing it with coconut milk). My thyroid was very low a few years ago, and I got it up to where I was feeling functional but not great, and now I feel probably just slightly off. So I could see weight loss happening in someone else with this scenario. But most of my weight came off when I cut out a couple allergenic foods, for me gluten and dairy. The weight just fell off, without effort (I was just trying to feed the family now that we were gfcf, so I'd eat as much as I wanted). So I'd consider whether there could be a food intolerance as well.
How would you know if there was a food intolerance, besides being unable to lose weight?
post #5 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaW View Post
How would you know if there was a food intolerance, besides being unable to lose weight?
Good question, but I don't have a good answer. A lot of folks seem to have digestive troubles, but I didn't/don't. I figured it out as part of the larger picture of why I was hypothyroid and my adrenals were messed up, but that's not very universally helpful, I realize. Eliminating foods is a pain, especially things like gluten and dairy which are so much a part of our food culture, but a lot of people have issues with foods, often with gluten and dairy specifically, so maybe trying it and seeing is the best bet.

I never did any actual testing, but I know there are tests for both IgG and IgE allergies, the folks in the Allergies forum know more, so that's one place to look for guidance. I think there's a way to eat foods, maybe first thing in the morning? and if your pulse changes quite a bit (obviously not clear on the details) then it's a stress on the body and should be avoided. Not sure on the details (obviously!) but it was interesting.
post #6 of 324
I'm been meaning to spend more time here, so I'm sorry if this has been asked over and over, but coconut oil helps you lose weight?
post #7 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Way too much!!!! I have to limit my CO intake, or I loose to much weight. That and ACV.

How do you take your ACV? Yesterday I made the Bragg's tonic (one glass water, 1 tsp ACV, and a little raw honey) It kinda made my throat scratchy and then later that day it felt like my insides were scratchy. I hope that makes sense, lol.

I actually didn't put much honey, I like kombucha so the taste didn't bother me. Maybe more honey will help the scratchy-ness?? I don't know??
post #8 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Way too much!!!! I have to limit my CO intake, or I loose to much weight. That and ACV.
Whats the reason for taking the ACV?

So the coconut oil does work for getting weight off for you? Is it that it fills you up?
post #9 of 324
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Good question, but I don't have a good answer. A lot of folks seem to have digestive troubles, but I didn't/don't. I figured it out as part of the larger picture of why I was hypothyroid and my adrenals were messed up, but that's not very universally helpful, I realize. Eliminating foods is a pain, especially things like gluten and dairy which are so much a part of our food culture, but a lot of people have issues with foods, often with gluten and dairy specifically, so maybe trying it and seeing is the best bet.

I never did any actual testing, but I know there are tests for both IgG and IgE allergies, the folks in the Allergies forum know more, so that's one place to look for guidance. I think there's a way to eat foods, maybe first thing in the morning? and if your pulse changes quite a bit (obviously not clear on the details) then it's a stress on the body and should be avoided. Not sure on the details (obviously!) but it was interesting.
This is interesting. I don't really want to go GF or dairy free. I have considered GF and could prob do it if I needed to. The thing that is interesting is watching foods cause the pulse increase which I totally do from time to time. I need to start watching what it is...

My weight is totally due to too many calories as I love to eat lots of food. I get good exercise, but not enough to offset the number of calories I consume. When I watch the calories just a wee bit, I lose the weight. So now that 8 lbs showed up over the last holiday, I have started watching things again.

I read about the CO and understand how it works. It does make me a bit warmer, but the extra calories are worrysome to me, especially since I'd rather be eating...

I might try to go with the cocnut milk. Thats at least something that sounds more palatable to me.

Thanks ladies!
post #10 of 324
I could never tolerate taht much coconut oil without feeling ill, and taking that much CO as a supplement got expensive, so I stopped.

I still use CO in cooking, but I don't drink or eat it plain anymore.
post #11 of 324
It hasn't made me lose weight but when I eat enough saturated fat (and having CO as a supplemet ensures that) I feel better which makes me eat better. Since it revs up the thyroid, it makes sense since my is borderline hypo.
post #12 of 324
What is ACV?
post #13 of 324
I first learned about raw apple cider vinegar and coconut oil form Kevin Tredeu, the famous guy always on TV trying to sell his book, "Natural Cures"

Let me tell you about a friend of mine on weight watchers. One day when I saw her in town, she said that she just went on WW. I told her the secret to weight loss, of 1 Tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and cold pressed coconut oil each. Take it once in the morning and once before bed. I said to just give it a try for a week. After a month, I saw her again, and oh my goodness, she looked amazing. Her clothes were barely staying on her. I said that WW must have been going well. Then she confessed that right after I saw her before, she got so busy and quit WW and went right onto acv and coconut oil!
post #14 of 324
I have been doing it for a few days. I definitely last longer in between meals and don't want to eat as much at meal time
post #15 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb123 View Post
What is ACV?
apple cider vinegar
post #16 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharr610 View Post
So I started out this whole thing reading Eat Fat Lose Fat...I try adding the coconut oil in each morning, I can't do all 3 meals, its just too much.
Ok, so thats 180 calories...and with my cod liver oil that makes my supplements at 300 calories a day which is a lot that I'd rather be eating in food...I just don't find it filling me up like it claims to and I'm not sure what it might be doing with my metabolism...
Anyway, thought I'd check with you all to see who has had some luck with it...
I've been reading EFLF too and have been following the weight loss guidelines for about a week now. I haven't incorporated the straight CO before meals into my diet yet--tried it once in tea and sorry, it was yucky!--but I have been cooking more in CO and eating foods containing coconut milk. (I've also drastically cut down my carb intake and have been eating only two slices of Ezekiel bread daily and minimal other grains.) I have been taking the CLO daily. I have lost 4 pounds this first week!! really!! this after many many false starts on WW so I am sold. I have been so generous with fats it's ridiculous, seriously I have been using like a stick of butter a day in my cooking. Yum yum yum. Hope this keeps up!
post #17 of 324
Thread Starter 
congrats Sarah! I did good in the beginning as well, but I think I tried varying things too quick. May you continue in your success! I totally believe in the plan.
post #18 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I first learned about raw apple cider vinegar and coconut oil form Kevin Tredeu, the famous guy always on TV trying to sell his book, "Natural Cures"

Let me tell you about a friend of mine on weight watchers. One day when I saw her in town, she said that she just went on WW. I told her the secret to weight loss, of 1 Tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and cold pressed coconut oil each. Take it once in the morning and once before bed. I said to just give it a try for a week. After a month, I saw her again, and oh my goodness, she looked amazing. Her clothes were barely staying on her. I said that WW must have been going well. Then she confessed that right after I saw her before, she got so busy and quit WW and went right onto acv and coconut oil!
Delurking to ask some questions if that's ok. I try to live as tf as possible with limited funds.

Do you have to eat the co and acv straight or could you blend it into a smoothie?

Also, I am nursing. Are these ok for a nursing mama?
post #19 of 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I told her the secret to weight loss, of 1 Tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar and cold pressed coconut oil each. Take it once in the morning and once before bed.
How do you advise taking these? Especially the ACV? Thanks!!
post #20 of 324
Also wondering how to take the ACV and CO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › Have you lost weight with the coconut oil?