or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Decorating and Loving Our Small Spaces - Pics :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Decorating and Loving Our Small Spaces - Pics :-) - Page 2

post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Hmmm, the built-in bookshelves in the second bedroom does lend itself to being the office, doesn't it? And since you are both in school currently, it is very important that you two have a comfortable space to study in.

I still would like to see a larger playspace for your daughter, though. The truth is, you don't have enough space for all of the functions that you want, so something will have to give. Have you looked at IKEA stuff yet? I'm not talking about buying anything there, but just that they have a lot of great ideas for multipurposing small spaces. The living room can be set up as more of a playroom, without the need to have just one corner be a play area, if you incorporate a theme of fun and playfulness throughout the whole living room. In other words, a playroom for DD that also happens to have adult seating.

If you need more storage space, consider lining the dining room walls with shelving (square shelving in very dark brown would be very chic). This could be used to store toys, art/craft supplies for DD, and/or dishes, and display more of those photos, and all of it can be done very attractively. I love your dining table set, btw.
My house is a little bigger than the OPs, but we don't have a devoted playroom for our LO. Aside from that, my DS is also rather high needs and won't play in a different room than I am in. So my solution is to set up various play areas around the house, much like the OP has done.

Our living room has a train table and a large basket for toys. I also keep a basket of wooden blocks under the futon, along with a potty chair. In the dinning room, DS has his own small book shelf which holds books, craft/coloring supplies, play dough, musical instruments, and play food. Also nearby is the play kitchen that I made him for Christmas last year. Our office has a basket of kids books for DS, as well as a toy barn with animals. In our bedroom, DS has another basket with books for bedtime reading. Then there is also another play area in his bedroom, but since it's on the second floor and he's rarely in there, he doesn't play in his room very often. I rotate toys to different rooms every so often, so that he doesn't get bored. If you want to see pics of these play area, let me know and I'll post them.

I think making play spaces around the house is fine and logical with a small house. A designated play room is a luxury, IMO. Plus, not all children had the temperament to play in a different room by themselves.
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
what about removing the table with your breadmaker (since you don't use it!) and pushing the play area back into that corner?
Could you use that table by the entryway?!
post #23 of 52
It is a beautiful home and the design looks to be a good use of space. Its wonderful that you have a basement with which you can work. If you are considering getting rid of something you can put it in your basement for a while and then see if you missing having it around. If you do want it back then its easy to get back. Its a nice way to do a trial run.

I think keeping the windows open (although its winter) would make it look larger and bring in a lot more light for you. I suppose it depends on how well your windows insulate.

I'd look for decorative storage. Can you check out a thrift store for old baskets, especially those with lids. Clutter can be contained but sitll within easy reach for use.

I think you really have most of it under control. Congrats!
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I still would like to see a larger playspace for your daughter, though. . . . The living room can be set up as more of a playroom, without the need to have just one corner be a play area, if you incorporate a theme of fun and playfulness throughout the whole living room. In other words, a playroom for DD that also happens to have adult seating.
i'm about that . . . it's not like her dd is penned into the area where her toys are. it's just a place for them to belong. my poor boys have no play area whatsoever - they just play wherever, all over the house. don't they all?
post #25 of 52
I love it. Very well done Alana.

I think you need an office for sure. We live in 900 sf and one room is our desks and dh's piano. It makes life nicer to have work space seperate and you need to be able to close the door to do your writting. Plus, musty books is a tragedy!

I like the idea of less vases - what about the microwave? Do you use it often? If so, keep it, if not, it would give you a lot more counter space. I'd get rid of the entryway desk and go for just a clean table for mail and keys. If you redo the second room as an office this should be easy.

The livingrooom feels the most tight to me. What is next to the love seat? Could that bookshelf go in the office when it is ready?

I'd sell the breadmaker on CL and see about a new place for the table (perhaps were the desk was?)

This makes me want to post my home!
post #26 of 52
OMG that is the CUTEST house i have ever seen! Just absolutly precious! Ilove all of your antique stuff!
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDoula View Post
I love it. Very well done Alana.

I think you need an office for sure. We live in 900 sf and one room is our desks and dh's piano. It makes life nicer to have work space seperate and you need to be able to close the door to do your writting. Plus, musty books is a tragedy!

I like the idea of less vases - what about the microwave? Do you use it often? If so, keep it, if not, it would give you a lot more counter space. I'd get rid of the entryway desk and go for just a clean table for mail and keys. If you redo the second room as an office this should be easy.

The livingrooom feels the most tight to me. What is next to the love seat? Could that bookshelf go in the office when it is ready?

I'd sell the breadmaker on CL and see about a new place for the table (perhaps were the desk was?)

This makes me want to post my home!
100%
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i'm about that . . . it's not like her dd is penned into the area where her toys are. it's just a place for them to belong. my poor boys have no play area whatsoever - they just play wherever, all over the house. don't they all?
I guess I just feel that since my kids are my equals, their stuff should get equal space and consideration. In our last apartment, half of the living room was taken up with a large wooden climbing structure with a slide. this left room for a couch (no other seating and no coffee table). It seemed only fair, after all, they do comprise 50% of the household in our house! Why should the whole living room be an adult sitting area? It seems to me like many houses are not set up to be especially kid-friendly, really. It's not about keeping the kid stuff away from the adult stuff-- not at all-- but just to make sure that the children's needs for room function receive equal weight with adult needs. For some families who prefer a more traditional sitting room for entertaining other adults in, it works better to have a separate room for storing toys and keeping as a designated play space. For other families, the living IS a playroom, in which case, 1/3 to 1/2 of the living room space ought to be devoted to children's play structures and to storing toys (IMO!) It's just about considering every one in the house equally, that's all.
post #29 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i thought you could simplify the dining room "stuff" on the table & cabinet, and little things like putting up the picture that's on the floor behind the loveseat (is that a treasure map?), reducing the quantity of vases or putting them away, etc would visually streamline things.

have you considered ditching the microwave? what about removing the table with your breadmaker (since you don't use it!) and pushing the play area back into that corner?
This is helpful. We can definitely try to find other places for all the tabletop stuff. Yes, that is a treasure map! I will be hanging it upstairs over my desk when we make the switch.

The table with breadmaker is very awkward, but it was my DHs grandfather's and he loves it. We could possibly move it into the "new" entryway, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
My house is a little bigger than the OPs, but we don't have a devoted playroom for our LO. Aside from that, my DS is also rather high needs and won't play in a different room than I am in. So my solution is to set up various play areas around the house, much like the OP has done.

Our living room has a train table and a large basket for toys. I also keep a basket of wooden blocks under the futon, along with a potty chair. In the dinning room, DS has his own small book shelf which holds books, craft/coloring supplies, play dough, musical instruments, and play food. Also nearby is the play kitchen that I made him for Christmas last year. Our office has a basket of kids books for DS, as well as a toy barn with animals. In our bedroom, DS has another basket with books for bedtime reading. Then there is also another play area in his bedroom, but since it's on the second floor and he's rarely in there, he doesn't play in his room very often. I rotate toys to different rooms every so often, so that he doesn't get bored. If you want to see pics of these play area, let me know and I'll post them.

I think making play spaces around the house is fine and logical with a small house. A designated play room is a luxury, IMO. Plus, not all children had the temperament to play in a different room by themselves.
Yes, I have always wanted to have a creative space for my family with small areas for DD in every room. I'd love to see pics of the play areas you've set up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDoula View Post
I'd get rid of the entryway desk and go for just a clean table for mail and keys. If you redo the second room as an office this should be easy.

The livingrooom feels the most tight to me. What is next to the love seat? Could that bookshelf go in the office when it is ready?

I'd sell the breadmaker on CL and see about a new place for the table (perhaps were the desk was?)

This makes me want to post my home!
Thanks, Megan! I love the idea of a simple, less cluttered entryway. The living room is the most cramped space because it is so long and narrow. The main (front windows) are on the same wall as the front door, across from the wall with the stairway and the entrance into the dining room. It is very awkward to arrange furniture in a way that is comfortable since there is no real focal point to the room.

Yes, post away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
OMG that is the CUTEST house i have ever seen! Just absolutly precious! Ilove all of your antique stuff!
Thank you!
post #30 of 52
I have to clean my house first Perhaps after some more attention, I will post to get feedback.
post #31 of 52
It's really beautiful!

My only suggestions would be to think UP -- higher shelving (like in the play area), shelves above doorways that are great to hold cluttery objects you don't want to get rid of (books, cds, vases). You can even get in a small (like 4-5 in) shelf under all your kitchen cabinets so you can get cans and whatnot off your counter. Looks like you have more wall space in your kitchen too!

Anyway, it's just gorgeous as it is!
post #32 of 52
If you really use the microwave, than you might consider (when the budget allows) replacing the range hood with a range hood/ microwave combination. That would free up a lot of counter space. If you want to keep the breadmaker could it go on top of the cabinets? Maybe where all of those vases are?
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
Yes, I have always wanted to have a creative space for my family with small areas for DD in every room. I'd love to see pics of the play areas you've set up!
I have to say that I thnk you've already done a great job with this, but here are my pics. I hope they give you some ideas. I'm constantly changing things around to keep the room fresh and keep DS from getting bored with toys. Enjoy!

DS's bedroom:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

Dinning Room:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
Old set up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymommy/2833873604/

Living Room/reading nook:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/

Office:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/
post #34 of 52
Thread Starter 
sls - I love it! I absolutely adore the reading nook in your living room. If I had even an extra foot of space on that side of my front door, I would do the same exact thing with a gorgeous art deco armoire I have hanging out in the garage waiting for a spot. Maybe I can put it where the little bookcase is, on the other side of the door?

I hate hate the microwave - having it and using it. But it is the easiest way to steam veggies or melt cheese . Our stove/oven doesn't have anywhere to vent to so the fire alarm goes off regularly in our house, ugh. I like the idea of putting microwave above the stove, out of the way.
post #35 of 52
I think your space is wonderful. If you want a change, maybe you can change out window coverings, especially for something that stays inside the window frame, not that there is anything wrong with your current look.
post #36 of 52
laneysprout, thanks for the compliment! DH and I decided to make the reading nook when we first bought the house. We are avid readers and we wanted a little space devoted to reading. We looked for an antique wordrobe, but couldn't find one in our price range. We settled for the IKEA wardrobe. I am really happy with the way it creates an entry space and also separates the nook from the rest of the living room. Over time, the reading nook has morphed into a play area for DS as well. Right now, over the holidays, we have our Christmas tree tucked in there too.

This is OT, but I also wanted to mention that I actually like the collection of clear vases in your kitchen. I'm sure I'm in the minority, here, but I don't think they add "clutter". I like collections of similar objects displayed together and I think they are rather artful. So you have my vote for keeping the vases (if you love them, that is ).
post #37 of 52
Small houses are easier to care for and cheaper to heat & cool. Love your small house! I love my house but it's too danged BIG. So much to clean and so much to heat.

eta: Aaaaand I just looked at your pictures. Your house is freaking lovely. It does not look cluttered to me. I am deeply envious of your decorating skills.
post #38 of 52
Your house is super cute! We live in a 940 square foot house and have similar taste. Small is fabulous!
post #39 of 52
I think the space by the fridge could be a great little playspace for magnetic numbers, letters, etc... My kids love that sort of stuff.

I like your house a lot! We are also living in a small space (450sqft) and I think it is okay, but could be great if we owned it and could make more permanent changes.

Other than that, I think Delight should visit this thread! She seems to know just how to decorate small spaces. http://www.flickr.com/photos/happyjanssens/
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
We live in a very tiny (<850 sq. ft.) house. It is just myself, DH, and our 18 mos. old DD. DH is in law school full time and I am trying to balance being a mama with doula work and writing my doctoral dissertation, so we don;t have much (read: any) extra money or time to invest in the house right now.

We loved this house when we bought it two years ago. It has a lot of charm, but we have been feeling cramped because of how much STUFF we have and are really trying to downsize and declutter, keepng only what we truly need/love. Please take a look and help me love our house!
laneysprout,

I just love your home. Very cozy! I must ask--where did you get that map play mat? I want one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Decorating and Loving Our Small Spaces - Pics :-)