or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › We don't accept children
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

We don't accept children - Page 11

post #201 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
So you expect the business to take your word for it and then kick you out, after the kids have disturbed all the other customers or broken something? And I don't think it's realistic to expect children to behave like adults for an extended period of time. My mom took my sister to me to the Russian Tea Room when we were kids with a friend. We were like little old ladies. But that was only for about an hour. And not at night when we were tired. Had it been longer or later it probably would have been a different story.

And don't tell me "But my kids are different. They're super-duper-wuper." Because the vast majority of kids are kids and they have limits. And the bottom line is, some people just don't want to be around kids. Horrifying, I know, but it's true. Believe it or not, some of these people are parents themselves. And some businesses turn a profit by catering to that.

yup
post #202 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
And don't tell me "But my kids are different. They're super-duper-wuper."
Well, as I already posted, a B&B did accept dd as a guest based on a conversation about her personality/behavior, and she was an ideal B&B guest during our stay (and was enthusiastically welcomed back anytime). That doesn't mean that she is more "super-duper" than my son who might not be an ideal B&B guest.

It would be nice if parents could be trusted to honestly judge their dc's ability to conform to B&B expectations and only bring them if they will behave appropriately, but the B&B industry has probably had the opposite experience. So, yeah, I don't blame them for having a "no children" policy, but I sure to appreciate the B&B's that are more flexible and allow for children (of any age) who fit right in.
post #203 of 288
when a business has a no children policy do they mean no one under 18? if not it's technically no children under a certain age... how do they decide on the age? every child is different after all...
post #204 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
It would be nice if parents could be trusted to honestly judge their dc's ability to conform to B&B expectations and only bring them if they will behave appropriately, but the B&B industry has probably had the opposite experience. .
It would also be nice if children were so predictable that you could know for certain exactly how they will behave on any given weekend.

I have no desire to force my children into places where they are not welcome. It not fair to the kids or to those who don't welcome them.
post #205 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
It would be nice if parents could be trusted to honestly judge their dc's ability to conform to B&B expectations and only bring them if they will behave appropriately, but the B&B industry has probably had the opposite experience. So, yeah, I don't blame them for having a "no children" policy, but I sure to appreciate the B&B's that are more flexible and allow for children (of any age) who fit right in.
I agree, it would be nice if parents could be trusted to make the right decision for their children and the B&B. However, I have found that many parents do not make appropriate decisions regarding their childs behaviour etc. I don't work in a B&B, but at a pool, and I have had to kick out many parents and their kids even AFTER explaining to them that they can't let their 4 year old wander the wave pool by himself more than once. They have told me that their child is FINE and behaving appropriately. I've had chairs thrown at me, I've been sworn at, threatened, etc. I've kicked kids out of the pool and then had the parents march down and tell me exactly where to go because their kids couldn't POSSIBLY have misbehaved. Yeah, right. While I am sure that many of you are capable of deciding if a B&B is suitable for your families needs, I am sure that many owners have had the opposite experience.

Also, there are people out there (couples and singles) who travel and like the ambiance of B&B's and they don't want or even particularly like kids. So why can't they have somewhere to stay that is child free so that they are able to relax fully? Isn't it alright that they can stay somewhere without children and you don't have to look at them making disgusted faces at your toddlers or being rude to you?

However, I will concede that kicking teens out of a mall at 3 pm does seem a little excessive.
post #206 of 288
While looking for places to stay I have found that BB usually don't allow children, however if you rent a condo, cabin, or house they almost always do. So you may want to go that route if you want a more home like place to stay. Good luck with your search!
post #207 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedofbast View Post
Also, there are people out there (couples and singles) who travel and like the ambiance of B&B's and they don't want or even particularly like kids. So why can't they have somewhere to stay that is child free so that they are able to relax fully? Isn't it alright that they can stay somewhere without children and you don't have to look at them making disgusted faces at your toddlers or being rude to you?
I believe that is completely the right of the B&B, and I am sure their profits would not suffer from such a policy in the US.

As a parent of a child who really loves B&Bs (and behaves completely appropriately while in them), I appreciate that there are B&Bs that will give her a chance.
post #208 of 288
As far as voting with your wallet, a lot of people do that (I would say most in fact). That's part of the reason these kid-free places are so successful.
post #209 of 288
I don't think B&Bs are successful b/c they are childfree. I think they're successful b/c they're a nice alternative to hotels, and some apparently feel they need to be childfree to maintain that. I still just find it odd, though I guess it depends for me on the location and the place. I still think they could be more tactful about it. I thought it was rude before I had kids.
post #210 of 288
I don't see anything wrong with the B&B not accepting kids, OP. I'd just find another place to stay.

I once took dd to a movie theater. She wasn't allowed. We left and won't be going back. I will take her to a theater that does allowed children. Simple.
post #211 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltic_ballet View Post
Correct me if I am wrong Jessy, but I got the vibe from your posts that you think that no place should ever have a no child policy?
I disagree with no child policies and will not patronize businesses that have them.

kmeyrick:
Quote:
So you expect the business to take your word for it and then kick you out, after the kids have disturbed all the other customers or broken something? And I don't think it's realistic to expect children to behave like adults for an extended period of time. My mom took my sister to me to the Russian Tea Room when we were kids with a friend. We were like little old ladies. But that was only for about an hour. And not at night when we were tired. Had it been longer or later it probably would have been a different story.
I know with my own kids, it wouldn't get to that point (not because they're so super special, but because they would be having fun and enjoying themselves, and we would likely only be there long enough to sleep, dress, and eat), but yes, I do think businesses should accept children the same way they do adults, and remove them if they are a disturbance.

Maybe I'm just blessed with perfect kids . . . guess that would fit since I was a perfect kid who went everywhere with my parents.
post #212 of 288
I think it would be very disruptive to expect B&B's to kick out disruptive children. Wouldn't that be very likely to turn into an ugly scene? And what if the family had nowhere else to go? I don't see how a kick out policy is practical.
post #213 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
I think it would be very disruptive to expect B&B's to kick out disruptive children. Wouldn't that be very likely to turn into an ugly scene? And what if the family had nowhere else to go? I don't see how a kick out policy is practical.
I think it would turn into a huge blow-up as per a pp's dialogue.

I.e. 'You need to leave, your child is disruptive!' then - 'No he's not!'

I can see it getting heated fast.

Having said that, I do understand why people don't appreciate child-free policies, and I can see the point about the slippery slope.

I do also enjoy child-free fancy restaurants, resorts and other geared to adult places (hedonistic vacations anyone? )
post #214 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
when a business has a no children policy do they mean no one under 18? if not it's technically no children under a certain age... how do they decide on the age? every child is different after all...
yeah yeah yeah i know i am quoting myself.. but no one has answered and i am really curious!!
post #215 of 288
There are many resorts, hotels, b & B, & cruises that only cater to a certain portion of the population .. ie adult spa resorts, adult cruises etc

There is nothing wrong with that at all .. none what so ever!

If I want to take Ds I would go on a family cruise .... and if I want to go where there are no children I might go to an adult only B & B.

I am sure, OP , that you can find a place that caters to your family.:

My DH and I have talked about opening a B & B when we retire. IT will be 100% adult only. .. but I would also make it clear on my website so that there is no issues upon arrival.

So I do think the place the OP originally called should have made it clear on their website.
post #216 of 288
To clarify, people's desire for child-free travel of some sort is becoming more popular (and not just to Americans). I recently read an article about this somewhere. It's in pretty high demand.

That's why I said, you can (and should) vote with your wallet if if you are offended by it, but others are also doing so, they just happen to be choosing to pay for child-free destinations, and like I said, these destinations are in pretty high demand.
post #217 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1littlebit View Post
yeah yeah yeah i know i am quoting myself.. but no one has answered and i am really curious!!
I would assume 18yrs and older is considered an adult.
post #218 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
I would assume 18yrs and older is considered an adult.
lol k thanks. i was jw since people were talking about disturbing others.. and well.. i hope my 16 yr will be able to be in an adult environment with out having any tantrums, outbursts, or lack of volume control.
post #219 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
To clarify, people's desire for child-free travel of some sort is becoming more popular (and not just to Americans). I recently read an article about this somewhere. It's in pretty high demand.

That's why I said, you can (and should) vote with your wallet if if you are offended by it, but others are also doing so, they just happen to be choosing to pay for child-free destinations, and like I said, these destinations are in pretty high demand.
They're probably high in demand because they are so hard to find compared to family oriented leisure activities. If you want to go to a place that welcomes kids, go to one. You'll have a huge variety from which to choose. But I don't see why people should get upset that not every single business welcomes children.

Also, if I had a B&B I wouldn't want to have an uncomfortable conversation on the phone with a parent scrutinizing the child before I allow him/her in. Can you imagine how bad for business that would be? Also, even if the kid is delightful, other customers may just not want to have them around. The parent's money is no greener than another person's.
post #220 of 288
I feel torn because I don't like whole idea behind our age-segregated society. I mean, some churches don't even welcome babies and small children in the sanctuary with their parents -- they want family members to separate and go to their specialized niches. I won't attend a church like that.

At the same time, if I were booking a place to stay on a vacation, if I knew that someplace was designed to be a quiet, romantic getaway, I wouldn't want to go there because at this point, I can't guarantee that our family would just be quiet and fade into the woodwork.

So I'd rather go someplace that's family-friendly.

So, all in all, I wouldn't have a problem with a B&B advertising itself as adult-only. I'd know to bypass that one.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › We don't accept children