Select a cardiologist at the hospital where you want to receive care and contact the cardiologist about accepting him as a 'hospital to hospital transfer'. Standard procedure for folks to be transferred. Only thing is, often insurance won't pay the $$$$ medical transport bill. Best case...I'd just get him on the Coumadin and off the heparin, no invasive diagnostic testing at that hospital, and drive him to the new hospital to be admitted under your new cardiologist's care.
The current docs will want to do a cardiac cath. Personally, I'd be VERY selective about who would do that VERY invasive procedure on my husband. I only have a handful of cardiologists I'd allow to do that here. The procedure is very skill specific, both manually and with the ability to visualize and get a proper evaluation and diagnosis. I'd want someone who speciallizes in VSD diagnostics, who works hand in hand with a cardiac surgeon, to do the cardiac catheterization.
The SIZE of the hole is the critical issue. And like ultrasounds and guessing fetal weights, the ability of the technician varies, greatly. And they often miscalculate. IF the hole is small, no surgery. If they judge the hole large, surgery is indicated. I'd want someone experienced at judging VSD sizes. That would occur at a larger, city hospital with docs who are about 45-50 years old, imo. Experienced and seen a lot of hearts.
Folks who do little cardiac caths for artery evaluation on a day to day basis, is a different league than a hospital which does cardiac surgery on a day to day basis. I don't know that the "local" hospital is "best". I'd look in a 100 mile radius for the most experienced advanced cardiac center.
There is plenty of time. Just delay the invasive diagnostics. There is NO urgency. He's had the same hole for 41 years. A few days or weeks to get a full (experienced) consultation doesn't have to happen this. afternoon. The current issue is blood clotting; and frankly, the coumadin will just have to be stopped before the cardiac cath anyway. So, I'd get him off the heparin and to a preferred hospital.
I assume they've done a carotid ultrasound and echocardiogram and found no clots present.