or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › What does de-cluttered look like to you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does de-cluttered look like to you? - Page 3

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
i
dining room: autumn

dining room: christmas

dining room: with "branches" lit.

my daughter's bedroom

master bedroom and design studio set
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Here is my house: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/. We've only owned it for a little over a year and we are slowly remodeling things as we get the time and money. I describe my look as zen shabby chic...but it's evolved over time. My house is probably too "busy" for some of the people here, but it feels homey to me.

I also strongly believe that everything needs it's place. I am very organized and keep only what I can store neatly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
This is what my ultimate dream home would look like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chezlar...7603439433970/
I've seen all of these on Flickr before. Probably in the "corners of my home" group. LOVE chez larson blog.

To me de-cluttered means no crap. I think it's prefectly ok to have the dishsoap out on the kitchen sink, thing like that which make a home like someone lives there. I like to see beautiful things in my home, as long as they have a good place.
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Nice!Love those baskets!
thank you! they were actually CD holders that we attached from the side to the wall. i wanted something that could hold a lot, and be sturdy. and they had to be black to sort of "disappear" against the chalkboard. i'm very happy with how it turned out, and those baskets are used every day.
post #43 of 88
Here's one I came across today

www.flickr.com/photos/30770046@N04/sets/72157607781406061/

I have always wanted a chandler but after seeing this lantern branch I think it is perfect

http://www.style-files.com/
post #44 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikesmom View Post
Here's one I came across today

www.flickr.com/photos/30770046@N04/sets/72157607781406061/

I have always wanted a chandler but after seeing this lantern branch I think it is perfect

http://www.style-files.com/
Nice links!Thanks.
post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikesmom View Post
Here's one I came across today

www.flickr.com/photos/30770046@N04/sets/72157607781406061/

I have always wanted a chandler but after seeing this lantern branch I think it is perfect

http://www.style-files.com/
I loved that home! Definitely more my taste than some of the others shared here. (Not that they weren't nice, they look like something out of Met Home. Just not my personal style.) Great find! And that lantern branch is awesome!!
post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
I loved that home! Definitely more my taste than some of the others shared here. (Not that they weren't nice, they look like something out of Met Home. Just not my personal style.) Great find! And that lantern branch is awesome!!
being an interior designer, i'm going to take that as HUGE compliment! LOL!
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
being an interior designer, i'm going to take that as HUGE compliment! LOL!
Oh, you should! I actually subscribe to Met Home and enjoy browsing through it each month. It's just not my vision for my home, kwim?
post #48 of 88
I find decluttered hard as no matter how much I declutter, it looks cluttered here being in a little apartment with no place to put anything. I love looking at the pics but it's something I don't feel I can accomplish to the extent I would like. I have seriously decluttered too and am gearing up to again (it's always my new year project ). I don't even know where the stuff comes from as it's just the basic stuff most people have but it looks like we have so much more of it even though we don't; just have no where to properly keep it.
post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
i tend to be rather modern in my personal style......although i'm huge on texture and i love dark woods. and i really love to have some traditional touches as well.

here are a few photos of my home that i think represent my decluttered life. i have an entire home photostream...these are just a few. and i hope to update some photos as well.

dining room: autumn

dining room: christmas

dining room: with "branches" lit.

my daughter's bedroom

master bedroom and design studio set
I just had to comment that I think I have the same bedspread as your DD
post #50 of 88
Decluttered to me means everything has a place. The counters are cleared , the tables are cleared. There are knick nacks or artifacts but not too many, just enough to see what the persons interests are. I don't like a lot of stuff on the walls, but i love a nice soft color. Beautiful fabrics for drapes, and blankets on the couches. Tons of candles too.

I grew up with a very cluttered house, and i hated it. I really try to keep my house uncluttered but with 2 kids i am always looking for ways to improve.
post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
I just had to comment that I think I have the same bedspread as your DD
LOL! that's too funny! from target??? that's where i got hers and my son's (his is all blue/green stripes).
post #52 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
LOL! that's too funny! from target??? that's where i got hers and my son's (his is all blue/green stripes).
My daughter has it too!Only we lucked out and got it brand new from the goodwill store!
post #53 of 88
Interesting thread! I like reading all the different ways people want their houses to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Sometimes I look at a bare uncluttered spaces and think I would be more unhappy in that space than a cluttered one.I know it's different for everyone.But for me,I need some beautiful things around.I need some things that make me laugh.I'm trying to imagine what my perfect uncluttered space will be.I need a vision.

What does your dream(or real) decluttered space look like?Is it completely bare.Just essentials?Or is it decorated without extra junk?Something else?
I aspire to have a very warm, lived-in house. I want tidy, but I also want people to feel like they should take off their shoes, help themselves to tea, and get comfortable. I really know what you mean, OP, about preferring cluttery spaces to very minimalist. I don't generally like modern and I don't like white. I mean, it looks gorgeous in other people's homes, but it feels sterile in my home. I'm looking around my living room right now and I don't see anything white except the stack of mail next to me.

So for me, I like to have stuff around. I like the tables and counters clear, but I like warm colors on the walls, lots of things hanging on the walls, plenty of decorative touches, and lots of lamps. But I've never been averse to an eclectic mix of stuff in a room. There's a wet bar in my living room, but we don't drink so we use it as a coffee bar. I installed 3 rows of hooks on the wall and hang all our coffee cups there. All of this drives my mom out of her mind (her very bare house is probably the reason I'm allergic to minimalism), but I just feel like it's cozy and convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
Oh, me too! I think it's the drawers, cabinets, cupboards and closets that truly show how decluttered (or cluttered) a home really is.
Oh, yeah! I get so discouraged sometimes when I can't seem to catch up with the housework, and sometimes I take myself on a little tour of closets, cabinets, and drawers. Because however messy my house may be on the surface, it's very tidy and un-crowded underneath, which always makes tidying up 1000% easier.
post #54 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
LOL! that's too funny! from target??? that's where i got hers and my son's (his is all blue/green stripes).
Yep! From Target
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Decluttered to me means everything has a place. The counters are cleared , the tables are cleared. There are knick nacks or artifacts but not too many, just enough to see what the persons interests are. I don't like a lot of stuff on the walls, but i love a nice soft color. Beautiful fabrics for drapes, and blankets on the couches. Tons of candles too.

I grew up with a very cluttered house, and i hated it. I really try to keep my house uncluttered but with 2 kids i am always looking for ways to improve.
:


This is how my living room looks for part of the day. The part when it's not covered in toys!

It's minimal and fairly uncluttered (the exception being the electronics) but it's lacking in warmth and coziness because there's so little in it.

This month (hopefully) the plan is to make a floor to ceiling bookcase that completely fills the wall with the window on it. It's an 8x14 wall with that large window and a door so it's not going to be too huge a job. It will hold our books, cd's, dvd's and vhs. I'm going to organize our photos into decorative gift boxes ($ store) for this unit as well.

If this goes well, on the non visible wall (8x11) we will do the same but allowing for space (behind doors) for the tv/wii/playstation/board games etc.

This should fill up the room a bit, insulate it from the noisy road and provide a ton of storage space.

The room also needs a large area rug, some end tables, throw rugs, some textured curtains and cushions. Oh and the floors need to be restained a different colour. There is some artwork on the walls and on the one bare wall to the left we will be printing posters from some of the plays dh has produced/acted in and frame them for display.

Once this is done it should be clean, organized (uncluttered), cozy, personal and homey.
post #56 of 88
subbing
post #57 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownZoo View Post
Interesting thread! I like reading all the different ways people want their houses to be.



I aspire to have a very warm, lived-in house. I want tidy, but I also want people to feel like they should take off their shoes, help themselves to tea, and get comfortable. I really know what you mean, OP, about preferring cluttery spaces to very minimalist. I don't generally like modern and I don't like white. I mean, it looks gorgeous in other people's homes, but it feels sterile in my home. I'm looking around my living room right now and I don't see anything white except the stack of mail next to me.

So for me, I like to have stuff around. I like the tables and counters clear, but I like warm colors on the walls, lots of things hanging on the walls, plenty of decorative touches, and lots of lamps. But I've never been averse to an eclectic mix of stuff in a room. There's a wet bar in my living room, but we don't drink so we use it as a coffee bar. I installed 3 rows of hooks on the wall and hang all our coffee cups there. All of this drives my mom out of her mind (her very bare house is probably the reason I'm allergic to minimalism), but I just feel like it's cozy and convenient.
There is very little white in my home too.Before our house we lived in an apt for 8 yrs.It was great but white everywhere and I think part of the reason I accumulated so much stuff was because I was trying to battle the white.

I love fun stuff around I just don't want it piled up all over the place anymore.Now I have a "wall of stuff"that I'm sure would drive a lot of people crazy but I love it.And the stuff isn't everywhere,like it used to be.

I don't know if you feel comfortable sharing pics of your home but I'd love to see your coffee bar.That's such a fun idea!
post #58 of 88
I've been reading this thread for a couple days but I'm away from home for a week - when I get home, I'm going to read it again and get totally inspired!
post #59 of 88
I'm loving the links and spending far too much time looking at them. My trouble is I am too anxious I will make my home look like a child decorated it. The only two rooms I have painted in 2 years are the childrens bathroom and the laundry room. Both are a very bright green and look great, but bright colours like that probably wouldn't work for the rest of the house.
In my old home (a little rancher) a colour expert came and helped me to pick out colours which complimented our furniture and art. The house looked stunning, then when we had to sell our agent told us it would pit prospective buyers off and we needed to paint every wall white.
post #60 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
:


This is how my living room looks for part of the day. The part when it's not covered in toys!

It's minimal and fairly uncluttered (the exception being the electronics) but it's lacking in warmth and coziness because there's so little in it.

This month (hopefully) the plan is to make a floor to ceiling bookcase that completely fills the wall with the window on it. It's an 8x14 wall with that large window and a door so it's not going to be too huge a job. It will hold our books, cd's, dvd's and vhs. I'm going to organize our photos into decorative gift boxes ($ store) for this unit as well.

If this goes well, on the non visible wall (8x11) we will do the same but allowing for space (behind doors) for the tv/wii/playstation/board games etc.

This should fill up the room a bit, insulate it from the noisy road and provide a ton of storage space.

The room also needs a large area rug, some end tables, throw rugs, some textured curtains and cushions. Oh and the floors need to be restained a different colour. There is some artwork on the walls and on the one bare wall to the left we will be printing posters from some of the plays dh has produced/acted in and frame them for display.

Once this is done it should be clean, organized (uncluttered), cozy, personal and homey.
Maybe some plants?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › What does de-cluttered look like to you?