or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Please Share: Your best Storage/Organization solution
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please Share: Your best Storage/Organization solution - Page 4

post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
Wow, you make me think I could homeschool with that kind of organization!
Thanks! I have to be organized or I'd lose it!
post #62 of 76
Thread Starter 
I found this on a website this morning

22 Bathroom Storage Ideas:

http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/...-ideas/?page=1
post #63 of 76
I painted a magnetic stripe on one wall of each of my kid's rooms so that they could use magnets to hand up their gazzilion paintings. but the magnets don't hold at all. After reading this thread, I think I need to do an additional 5 coats or so!! maybe then it will work, because it's a really neat idea.
post #64 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post
I painted a magnetic stripe on one wall of each of my kid's rooms so that they could use magnets to hand up their gazzilion paintings. but the magnets don't hold at all. After reading this thread, I think I need to do an additional 5 coats or so!! maybe then it will work, because it's a really neat idea.
I would say at least 5 coats, maybe more. I have a wall I did with magnetic primer to hold up newsletters, photos etc. I tested with a magnet and paper between coats and kept adding coats until it was strong enough to hold. I think I did 5 or 6 coats, and even so, it won't hold paper bigger than a standard 8 x 11 letter weight.
post #65 of 76
that's good to know. the guy at the paint store said one or two coats : so I thought I was being good by doing two. Luckily, I have a ton of paint left over, so I can get back to painting.
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post
I painted a magnetic stripe on one wall of each of my kid's rooms so that they could use magnets to hand up their gazzilion paintings. but the magnets don't hold at all. After reading this thread, I think I need to do an additional 5 coats or so!! maybe then it will work, because it's a really neat idea.
the best magnets i've found are the silver "clip" magnets. like these.

the magnets are oversized and very strong and they hold even on my bumpy plaster wall.
post #67 of 76
My magnetic chalkboard solution can be seen here.

It's a piece of 20" wide roof flashing (metal and magnetic) glued to to fiber board and then painted with chalkboard paint. It's screwed to the wall and trim was added. It's not wide but it's attached to our chimney. Our downstairs is one big room and you can see the refrigerator from the front door. I want to keep the front of the fridge clear of stuff so I came up with this and it's opposite the refrigerator.
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvh View Post
My magnetic chalkboard solution can be seen here.

It's a piece of 20" wide roof flashing (metal and magnetic) glued to to fiber board and then painted with chalkboard paint. It's screwed to the wall and trim was added. It's not wide but it's attached to our chimney. Our downstairs is one big room and you can see the refrigerator from the front door. I want to keep the front of the fridge clear of stuff so I came up with this and it's opposite the refrigerator.
I'm enjoying looking at the Home set in your Flickr!
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm9799 View Post
the best magnets i've found are the silver "clip" magnets. like these.

the magnets are oversized and very strong and they hold even on my bumpy plaster wall.
Thanks! For me, 'Not a swallowing hazard" is the biggest concern when it comes to magnets....I think I have one of those, and now I know where to find them!
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJorgy View Post
I'm enjoying looking at the Home set in your Flickr!
Good, I'm glad! I should update them as things have been moved and added...
post #71 of 76
GMVH... in your photos, the tub bath, the one with the big blue mesh bag hung in the tub, where did you get the suction cup to hang it with and does it actually stay up? I can't find one that will actually hold the weight and my boys toy bag is smaller than yours!
post #72 of 76

my storage solutions..

our most lived in spaces in our house are the living room and kitchen. until now ive never really bought anything big furniture wise for them, most of what i have is second hand, but these 2 items are things that im purchasing to make my life simpler and easier..

the first is this wooden work bench, i think its lovely and also very functional since my kitchen lacks counter space and storage.. i need a place for living plants and a place to infuse oils, flower remedies and tinctures, so this will sit in front of our big kitchen window which get tons of light all year round..:

and secondly our eating area consists of a very small round table and 4 very old and wobbly chairs, so im getting this bench that also has storage space inside! i have a ton of craft supplies, so im planning to organise it all into the space inside. my kids can sit on the bench for mealtimes, my landlady is giving me a huge rectangular pine table and i will keep the 2 best chairs leaving a whole lot more space, and way less fussing with sitting arrangements.:
post #73 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheart View Post
GMVH... in your photos, the tub bath, the one with the big blue mesh bag hung in the tub, where did you get the suction cup to hang it with and does it actually stay up? I can't find one that will actually hold the weight and my boys toy bag is smaller than yours!
It's just a suction cup from the hardware store, nothing special. It has to be just right for it to hang and when it does get taken down, it can sometimes take a few tries to get it right before it will hold. I'm trying to think if there's a trick to how I hang it - dry on wet, wet on dry, but I can't think of it - perhaps wet suction cup on dry wall? The cup itself is probably 1.5 inches in diameter, for whatever it's worth... Could you use a 3M Command hook? I've not used them before so don't know if they can be used in wet environments or not. Good luck - bath toy storage makes me nuts!
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
our most lived in spaces in our house are the living room and kitchen. until now ive never really bought anything big furniture wise for them, most of what i have is second hand, but these 2 items are things that im purchasing to make my life simpler and easier..

the first is this wooden work bench, i think its lovely and also very functional since my kitchen lacks counter space and storage.. i need a place for living plants and a place to infuse oils, flower remedies and tinctures, so this will sit in front of our big kitchen window which get tons of light all year round..:

and secondly our eating area consists of a very small round table and 4 very old and wobbly chairs, so im getting this bench that also has storage space inside! i have a ton of craft supplies, so im planning to organise it all into the space inside. my kids can sit on the bench for mealtimes, my landlady is giving me a huge rectangular pine table and i will keep the 2 best chairs leaving a whole lot more space, and way less fussing with sitting arrangements.:
nice! I have actually been wanting to get a bench seat for the dining table too.. but one that holds stuff is such a great idea!
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
nice! I have actually been wanting to get a bench seat for the dining table too.. but one that holds stuff is such a great idea!
it seems like a really great multi purpose piece. and its pretty affordable too..which is always helpful for us poor folk
post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
it seems like a really great multi purpose piece. and its pretty affordable too..which is always helpful for us poor folk
you know it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › Please Share: Your best Storage/Organization solution