or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Military Moms - Jan-Feb '09!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Military Moms - Jan-Feb '09! - Page 33

post #641 of 1125
I would love Germany! Hopefully, one day...

Well, DH went off to MEPS this morning for the Army and goes before the OCS board in two weeks. We are so excited its finally happening but wish we could just know right now what is going to happen. The waiting is the hardest part.
post #642 of 1125
How exciting. We hope to someday be there too!
post #643 of 1125
Thanks, ladies! I'm thrilled, already perusing Ikea Germany sites and planning my shopping sprees at H&M and Petit Bateau. :
post #644 of 1125
How did you/dh dealt with "that guy" at basic? You know, the one who gets everyone else smoked because he skipped his turn on guard? Dh's platoon has a dozen or so UAVs and while I know he can handle it, I'd like to send him suggestions of things that worked for other people.
post #645 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
How did you/dh dealt with "that guy" at basic? You know, the one who gets everyone else smoked because he skipped his turn on guard? Dh's platoon has a dozen or so UAVs and while I know he can handle it, I'd like to send him suggestions of things that worked for other people.
In basic, we didn't really have any problems. I'm not a huge fan of mass punishment, but it seems to be effective in Basic/AIT. It's not just punishment, they use any excuse for "smoking" as a way to help them get into shape. Have him look at is as free exercise. It doesn't seem like it, but it's mostly to help.

As far as guard duty, it's not only that person's fault. He should have relieved someone, and that person should have made sure he was awake and at the place of guard.

For other stuff, mass punishment is intended to put pressure on the person causing the problem. They'll either be ostrasized by the group or harrassed by members of the group.

When I was in AIT, there was a girl named Roberts who was having an improper relationship with a "C" Company student. Cco was soldiers who were reclassing, so while they were going through the school, they weren't fresh out of basic and were NOT allowed near us.

So, homegirl decided to start messing around with one. Plus, he was married to make a bad situation worse. Well, the first weekend they were seen we got the crap smoked out of us as the DS said, "You know who you are, you were seen at the mall with a C co student." Well, everyone knew who it was. They wanted her to come to them and confess. Did she? No.

So, this went on for the last 3 months of our 4 month AIT. Every weekend we got smoked and they'd basically call her out (never by name) and tell her where she was seen--stupid places, like the freakin' Ft. Huachuca pool! They told her she needed to come forward. By this time, the entire platoon hated her.

FFWD to the night before graduation. During the day, they took us around to clear the post, turn in all of our stuff, uniform inspection, etc. At about 7 that night, we had our final formation. They called her into the DS' office. She was read an Article 15, pulled from graduation, put on hold, and put on KP the next day. So, while we're in our Class As, waiting to go to graduation and go on leave, she had to walk out in front of us in her BDUs to go to KP.

The point of that looooong story? People get theirs in the end, usually.
post #646 of 1125
My DH just ignored them. Never joined in with anyone attempting to do anything, just stayed in his place. But he's older. No energy for that kind of stuff. Maybe for an eyeroll and a glare.
post #647 of 1125
Thanks guys, I'll tell dh to hang in there.

Sort of funny story, my father in law got a commendation for hitting an officer when he was in basic. See, he was on guard duty and this 2nd Lt didn't halt and identify himself. So FIL hit him with his rifle. I hope the officer was a UAV and not the poor guy who drew the short straw to check how well the recruits handled guard duty.
post #648 of 1125
Thread Starter 
There will always be people like that, unfortunately. And somebody always has to be blamed regardless of whether it's their fault or not, it's just the way the Army works. As I tell DH, he just has to let it roll off him and not take it personally, just consider it part of the job.

DH is on his way home : He should get in late this weekend, we're hoping.
post #649 of 1125
Thread Starter 
Oh and happy birthday to your little one, Sapphire!
post #650 of 1125
Remijo- My husband did DLI. He was in the Arabic program for 63 weeks and we were able to PCS with him. He is in the AF, but all of the language classes are mixed services so its basically the same thing. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. BTW-we absolutely LOVED Monterey and if thats where you end up, I can get you some info on some really great AP classes and support groups.
post #651 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganbarr View Post
Remijo- My husband did DLI. He was in the Arabic program for 63 weeks and we were able to PCS with him. He is in the AF, but all of the language classes are mixed services so its basically the same thing. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. BTW-we absolutely LOVED Monterey and if thats where you end up, I can get you some info on some really great AP classes and support groups.

Thanks alot, I have heard Monterey is gorgeous but it looks like we're not going there. Dh is getting a commission in the Army and going straight to OCS (well after basic) - hopefully. We have a week till the board meets. So I will probably be stuck here in freezing Wyoming while he is working his butt off in the south for about a year. I suppose it evens out in the end.
post #652 of 1125
Just popping in to say hello! I'm Chelci, 20, married to a Marine. We have 2 children and live in Hawaii.
post #653 of 1125
My dh just got orders to Ft. Bragg. We'll be there in 3 weeks. Anybody else in this tribe there? We're coming from the Presidio of Monterey. That is going to be a HUGE change.
post #654 of 1125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
My dh just got orders to Ft. Bragg. We'll be there in 3 weeks. Anybody else in this tribe there? We're coming from the Presidio of Monterey. That is going to be a HUGE change.
Do you know where you're living yet? Several of us are here and there is a mom's group that meets up, have a great trip!
post #655 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Do you know where you're living yet? Several of us are here and there is a mom's group that meets up, have a great trip!
I think we're going to live on post. We only have one car, and I think money-wise, it would be cheaper to live on post. The only availability right now is Casablanca / Anzio Acres. But we're not opposed to getting on a waiting list and just living in our van at the rv park for awhile, though.
I noticed a lot of mom's groups on meetup.com. I'm not sure which one to join. Looking forward to moving back East, although I'll miss California a lot. But it will be nicer to be back near our families.
post #656 of 1125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
I think we're going to live on post. We only have one car, and I think money-wise, it would be cheaper to live on post. The only availability right now is Casablanca / Anzio Acres. But we're not opposed to getting on a waiting list and just living in our van at the rv park for awhile, though.
I noticed a lot of mom's groups on meetup.com. I'm not sure which one to join. Looking forward to moving back East, although I'll miss California a lot. But it will be nicer to be back near our families.
Look for Fayetteville Mommies on the Mommies Network, that is the group I would recommend. We have an AP/NFL section. Claire and Karla both live here as well and are on the FM board.

You'll be eligible for temporary housing for a little while once you get here, I live on post too but we ended up living off for about 4 months until housing became available. The wait list can be pretty crazy. Where are you originally from?
post #657 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Look for Fayetteville Mommies on the Mommies Network, that is the group I would recommend. We have an AP/NFL section. Claire and Karla both live here as well and are on the FM board.

You'll be eligible for temporary housing for a little while once you get here, I live on post too but we ended up living off for about 4 months until housing became available. The wait list can be pretty crazy. Where are you originally from?
Thanks, Katie! I will definitely check that out. I've been watching the waiting list, and it seems to change constantly. So yeah, it might be a wait.
I'm originally from Athens, Ga., but I moved to New England 10.5 years ago. That's more what I consider home. I am glad to be closer to Athens, though. My brother lives there still, and my parents live just across the Ga. border in North Carolina. So that will be nice. Where are you from originally?
post #658 of 1125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
Thanks, Katie! I will definitely check that out. I've been watching the waiting list, and it seems to change constantly. So yeah, it might be a wait.
I'm originally from Athens, Ga., but I moved to New England 10.5 years ago. That's more what I consider home. I am glad to be closer to Athens, though. My brother lives there still, and my parents live just across the Ga. border in North Carolina. So that will be nice. Where are you from originally?
My husband and I are both from NY, I grew up in upstate NY while he spent most of his teen years at West Point where his dad worked. We have family all over New England (Mostly Mass. and Maine). It's interesting being a Yankee down here. I have a friend from high school who lives in Athens, she went to UGA.
post #659 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
I think we're going to live on post. We only have one car, and I think money-wise, it would be cheaper to live on post. The only availability right now is Casablanca / Anzio Acres. But we're not opposed to getting on a waiting list and just living in our van at the rv park for awhile, though.
I noticed a lot of mom's groups on meetup.com. I'm not sure which one to join. Looking forward to moving back East, although I'll miss California a lot. But it will be nicer to be back near our families.
We had a nice, new house in Anzio Acres when we were at Bragg. I would live in that housing area again!
post #660 of 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
There will always be people like that, unfortunately. And somebody always has to be blamed regardless of whether it's their fault or not, it's just the way the Army works. As I tell DH, he just has to let it roll off him and not take it personally, just consider it part of the job.

DH is on his way home : He should get in late this weekend, we're hoping.
Yay for you. Mine is in training but we're visiting him now. Tough with a baby and a toddler but I met an army wife (well, he's retired) who nursed all six kids into toddlerhood, even tandeming, while her DH was active duty, and that was 20 or so years ago. Sometimes when you just hear someone surviving it's encouraging!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Connect With Other Moms
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Military Moms - Jan-Feb '09!