or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

20/20 tonight!

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 
Anyone watching 20/20 on ABC? Its about Extreme Motherhood. Talks about breastfeeding, at home delivery and more. Thought some of you might be interested
post #2 of 61
Oh, thanks for the heads up, watching it now!
post #3 of 61
Also watching - very interesting.
post #4 of 61
Thread Starter 
This has been so interesting so far. I really like how they talked about Natural Childbirth not always being painful. I think it is good that they talked about it being possible to enjoy the natural birth. I also thought it was interesting about extended breastfeeding. I haven't heard of too many people breastfeeding past 3 to 4. But I think it is wonderful that so many parents go past this if their children want to. What do ya'll think about how they portrayed both natural childbirth and extended breastfeeding?
post #5 of 61
Good except for that one (male) doctor who said its a mother's job to "work herself out of a job" meaning weaning early : because babies shouldn't be able to run to their mommies for comfort past a certain age.
post #6 of 61
Ha ha, do they really call it at home delivery? I know some OBs have "home delivery is for pizza" bumperstickers.
post #7 of 61
It'll be on at ten my time, but I plan to watch it.
post #8 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
Ha ha, do they really call it at home delivery? I know some OBs have "home delivery is for pizza" bumperstickers.
I am pretty sure that is what I heard during the preview earlier.. but I could be wrong.. I just got excited that it was coming on.. lol

They just called it Childbirth at home.. so I am probably wrong in what I heard.
post #9 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
Good except for that one (male) doctor who said its a mother's job to "work herself out of a job" meaning weaning early : because babies shouldn't be able to run to their mommies for comfort past a certain age.
I heard that too.. that is just crazy! Why in the world would a mother aim to get to the point where they don't need to do that much. How depressing!
post #10 of 61
Watching here ... it's making me want a baby again, lol.
post #11 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
It'll be on at ten my time, but I plan to watch it.
:
post #12 of 61
I personally thought that it portrayed extended breastfeeding as a negative thing, but that they did really well with the birthing at home segment. I missed the first segment - not sure what it was about. It definitely could have been worse, for a mainstream news/current events program, but it could have been better as well.

Take care,
El
post #13 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemnop View Post
I personally thought that it portrayed extended breastfeeding as a negative thing, but that they did really well with the birthing at home segment. I missed the first segment - not sure what it was about. It definitely could have been worse, for a mainstream news/current events program, but it could have been better as well.

Take care,
El

I totally agree. I did think that it was a step in the right direction though. For the most part these shows tend to be all negative. Personally, I thought it showed some positives as well. Especially the first segment on orgasms and natural childbirth. Not just about the orgasms, but that a woman can enjoy natural childbirth and that once a woman loses all fear associated with birth, it can make it a better experience. I do agree about the nursing segment, it did take more of a negative tone. But I thought the mothers that were featured were inspiring.
post #14 of 61
Man, I really wish I would have caught that first segment!
post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemnop View Post
Man, I really wish I would have caught that first segment!
Was that the babydoll part? "Rebirths" are what they were called. That was not extreme mothering really, it is a quirky hobby if anything. Having a cute babydoll is nothing compared to having a real one (hence "mothering" it).
post #16 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Was that the babydoll part? "Rebirths" are what they were called. That was not extreme mothering really, it is a quirky hobby if anything. Having a cute babydoll is nothing compared to having a real one (hence "mothering" it).
No the reborn dolls were the 2nd segment.. The first was about women having orgasms during natural childbirth.
post #17 of 61
The first segment was orgasmic childbirth.
post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Was that the babydoll part? "Rebirths" are what they were called. That was not extreme mothering really, it is a quirky hobby if anything. Having a cute babydoll is nothing compared to having a real one (hence "mothering" it).
I didn't actually see anything before Extended Breastfeeding. Sounds like I would have been interested in both segments before it (although I was specifically talking about the Orgasmic Birth segment). While I wouldn't call my birth orgasmic, I certainly would not describe it as the worst pain I have had, and I'd say it was sort of pleasant.

Take care,
El
post #19 of 61
I too missed everything before the extended breadtfeeding segment, darn!
post #20 of 61
I posted this in the 20/20 segment in CLW as well:

I just got finished watching the 20/20 featuring Extreme Nursing. I thought it was fairly well done, although there were points where I felt like the interviewer (Debra Roberts????) was fighting back a grimace. I found it a little amusing that the first woman they had on the "extreme nursing" show was a woman nursing 2 1/2 year old twins. Maybe I've been hanging around MDC too long but a 2 1/2 nursing is almost a given to me and in no way seems unusual or "extreme". I am sometimes surprised when I see weaned 2 year olds because that is so not MY normal, kwim?

I really liked the family with the three kids, they just seemed very normal. I was VERY surprised to see that the 12 year old boy was willing to talk about when he used to nurse and was free and open about how much he liked it. He seemed like such a sweet kid. I hope he doesn't get his butt handed to him by his peers........

I also liked the 9 year old sister who said that seeing her six year old brother nursing made her happy to see him doing it. Very sweet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television