or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Canada › Vancouverish Tribe: January Snow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vancouverish Tribe: January Snow - Page 16

post #301 of 384
lentils, chick peas, pintos, black beans, spelt flour and i think rye flour. all organic, and lots of it! we're leaving for 6 months and i don't want to store it.

*
post #302 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Oohhh Raspberry leaf tea I'd LOVE it!

.
Steeped overnight till its black?:
post #303 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
lentils, chick peas, pintos, black beans, spelt flour and i think rye flour. all organic, and lots of it! we're leaving for 6 months and i don't want to store it.

*
Whereabouts are again? Prices?

***********
Just catching up on all the chattiness going on here. I've been AWOL for a little bit.

I do have to share this though... I have my Amautik! (Inuit babywearing coat) Here it is: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...p/IMG_0947.jpg

I didn't anticipate it being so bright purple but I love it! Its a bit of a headturner which is a little hard for me, the wallflower that I am. However, I've gotten nothing but complements on it. The best thing is that on the coldest days Sarah and I can just wear long sleeve shirts and we'll be toasty warm in it.

Back to lurking...
post #304 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
I do have to share this though... I have my Amautik! (Inuit babywearing coat) Here it is: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...p/IMG_0947.jpg
That is soooo cute! And purple. But cute. You'd never get lost in the snow!
post #305 of 384
Thread Starter 
What a lovely coat, Ellaine!
post #306 of 384
Hi Vancouverish mamas. Dropping in from Alberta. We would like to come vacation on the island this summer. My husband's grandma was from Parksville and he has fond memories of his summers there. Does anyone have any hints on a place to rent in that area (Parksville, Qualicum)for about a week in early August? We have a soon to be three year old and a soon to be one year old. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but another family may join us, so we could afford something better if they do. Near the beach would be nice, but not necessary to be right on it. House, cottage, hotel...we're open to suggestions.

TIA
post #307 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Whereabouts are again? Prices?

***********
Just catching up on all the chattiness going on here. I've been AWOL for a little bit.

I do have to share this though... I have my Amautik! (Inuit babywearing coat) Here it is: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...p/IMG_0947.jpg

I didn't anticipate it being so bright purple but I love it! Its a bit of a headturner which is a little hard for me, the wallflower that I am. However, I've gotten nothing but complements on it. The best thing is that on the coldest days Sarah and I can just wear long sleeve shirts and we'll be toasty warm in it.

Back to lurking...
Oh Ellaine! That's fantastic! Does it pull at all anywhere?
post #308 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi! View Post
Oh Ellaine! That's fantastic! Does it pull at all anywhere?
Well, I'm still getting used to it and Sarah isn't used to sitting in it so it does pull a little bit on my neck. Apparently once kiddo learns how to sit properly in it they're supposed to lean against your back. They can also stand up(!) in it to get a better view of the world.

I have to say, its absolutely perfect for this kind of weather. We were out for 1.5hrs today on a walk and Sarah and I were perfectly warm. Dare I say it?

I can't wait till it snows! :
post #309 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure View Post
Hi Vancouverish mamas. Dropping in from Alberta. We would like to come vacation on the island this summer. My husband's grandma was from Parksville and he has fond memories of his summers there. Does anyone have any hints on a place to rent in that area (Parksville, Qualicum)for about a week in early August? We have a soon to be three year old and a soon to be one year old. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but another family may join us, so we could afford something better if they do. Near the beach would be nice, but not necessary to be right on it. House, cottage, hotel...we're open to suggestions.

TIA
welcome! I've never stayed right in Parksville or Qualicum, but they're beautiful, you'll have a great time! If you wanted to stay a bit further up the coast, there is a lovely place called "the alders beach resort" that we (several members of our vancouver tribe) stayed in two summers in a row a few years ago... it's awesome! Hopefully someone can give you some info about Parksville/Qualicum itself... enjoy!
post #310 of 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure View Post
Hi Vancouverish mamas. Dropping in from Alberta. We would like to come vacation on the island this summer. My husband's grandma was from Parksville and he has fond memories of his summers there. Does anyone have any hints on a place to rent in that area (Parksville, Qualicum)for about a week in early August? We have a soon to be three year old and a soon to be one year old. We don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but another family may join us, so we could afford something better if they do. Near the beach would be nice, but not necessary to be right on it. House, cottage, hotel...we're open to suggestions.

TIA

Welcome Pure!
There's lots of places to rent along the Parksville/Qualicum route. Dh's parents used to live in French Creek which is halfway between P and Q.

Here's a couple of places:
http://www.beachacresresort.com/

We've had lunch at this place and its great! Very nice place! Looks very kid friendly too! If you can swing it, I'd go here...
http://www.tigh-na-mara.com/

What I don't recommend is the "Quality Resort Bayside". We've been there a quite a few times for brunch, lunch, and dinners and the quality of the stuff and service has slowly been declining. They've also changed hands 2 or 3 times in the past 7 years if that tells you anything.
post #311 of 384
Ellaine, your coat is beautiful!!!
post #312 of 384
I love the coat Ellaine! I would have loved one of those for this winter.
post #313 of 384
I stayed at Tigh Na Mara with a group once and it was really nice!
post #314 of 384
Tigh na mara is beautiful, we went there about 3 years ago for DH's cousins wedding. I wanted to live in the pool/spring and never get out.
post #315 of 384
Thanks everyone! I am checking into all of them. I looked on VRBO and there are quite a few private ones too. Anyone stay in a house there before?
post #316 of 384
I have a friend who rented a completely furnished cabin in Parksville in the summer last year. I think she said they spent about $2000 for the week. That included ferry fare for 6 adults and 2 cars though. I'll ask her where she stayed and post a link here. She said the place was absolutely perfect, very modern and comfy.
post #317 of 384

Waldorf Open house in Vancouver

Hope I'm not hijacking any threads...not sure where the best place to post this is.

For anyone who is interested, the Waldorf school in North Van is having their Open House Feb 7th. It's a good time to ask any questions, meet staff, tour the school, and definitely enjoy some good food.

Here's a link with details.
http://www.vws.ca/2009/LS/OpenHouse2009-02postcard.pdf
post #318 of 384

New West Homelearners' Program Open House

Next Friday, Feb 6th from 10:00-11:30...a much smaller affair than Waldorf!

http://www.sd40.bc.ca/nwhl/
314 – 6th Street
New Westminster
V3L 3A6
(enter off Blackford Street)

I'll post here if I get any more details...
post #319 of 384
Speaking of homelearners...Danny is learning to read!!! :

He has recently started trying to sound out words here & there; yesterday I pulled a book out from a phonics program we have...he read the whole thing! After a few pages with clues from the pictures, I covered the pictures & he finished reading the book! He was so proud of himself (oh yeah, I'm so proud of him, too ).

Now he keeps trying to read what I'm typing out or what I'm reading...slows things down a bit...in a good way .
post #320 of 384
Turns out the title of this post is still appropriate! I'm loving the return of the snow (though I imagine it will be short-lived, right?).

I just wanted to jump on the thread again, even though I don't have much to contribute, because I'm really enjoying reading about you lovely ladies.

I do have one quick question though, and if it's not appropriate to the forum, I beg pardon and will delete it, but I can't think where else to pose it. Does anyone have any recommendation of a tax adviser familiar with cross-border US-Canada tax issues? I've always done our taxes myself but am feeling very daunted at the complexity of it this year, living half the year here and half in US, and me with immigration status in limbo. If you have tips, I'd greatly appreciate a PM!

Thanks!
-ememers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Canada
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Canada › Vancouverish Tribe: January Snow