Arkansas family fun
I'm also enjoying reading this thread - as my son is only 4 months, I have a ways to go until we can do a lot of these activities. However, I'm back to work, and seeing how time flies when we reunite at 5 PM, I'm wanting to get the most out of our time together. We're used to sitting down and watching the local and national news before getting dinner started, but it's scarry seeing how his little baby eyes zone in on the lights of the TV for such long periods. I'm enjoying our walks in the woods together already, and excited for spring to come and all the activities that are just around the corner, but I'm afraid of getting in bad weekday habits so early.
I was raised in a super wholesome, no TV household (until age 7? 8?), so I certainly know how it's done. Now, we just have to find our own way. DH has fond memories of watching the news with his father, so I may have some resistance on that front.
Some of my favorite memories growing up:
- music parties with friends and lots of kids and kid's songs (throwing quilts over the piano and pillows underneath for a tent once we got tired but were resistant to leaving the party)
- dads and kids camping / canoeing trips
- reading together (me and brother 20 months apart probably helped) - favorites - "My Side of the Mountain", "Watership Down", "The Hobbit"
- my brother loooved to "paint a board" when he was small - a board and a brush and a bucket of water, he would carefully paint the whole thing, and they would flip it and he'd paint the other side while the first side dried. I was probably to wild for that game to work long on me. sweet boy.
- "building forts" in shrub / hedge / the woods
- selling things! a lemonade and popcorn stand, handmade crafts, etc.
I can't wait to have fun with the new little fam.