or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2009 › April HBers - Check in here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

April HBers - Check in here! - Page 7

post #121 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
lol. I noted in the weekly chat that ds2 (3) thought the birth would be stinky. When I asked him why he showed me that picture in the book and I realized he thought she was pooping the baby out and he thought the baby was going to stink like poop!
Too funny! Neela told me today that she doesn't like my vagina (it's too hairy), but that she likes her own vagina mostly- when it's not pooping. Despite many explanations and a lot of self-exploration, she's still a little anatomically confused. At least she's given up on the idea that she has a vagina but will get a vulva when she grows up

She's still pretty set on the idea that she'll catch the baby, though, so we'll see how things go...
post #122 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Too funny! Neela told me today that she doesn't like my vagina (it's too hairy), but that she likes her own vagina mostly- when it's not pooping. Despite many explanations and a lot of self-exploration, she's still a little anatomically confused. At least she's given up on the idea that she has a vagina but will get a vulva when she grows up

She's still pretty set on the idea that she'll catch the baby, though, so we'll see how things go...
Hilarious! Kids are so precious in their naivety I try to keep a journal of all the funny things the boys say, but it's hard to keep up.
post #123 of 332
Hey mamas! I finally had time to catch up on this thread!

I had my 34 week appointment today, and was reminded by my midwife that I've got about 2 weeks to gather my birth supplies and have everything (somewhat) ready to go, because she goes on call as of 3/13! It was kind of an eye-opener, and not that I think I am going to go early or anything, but just that that window of possibility will be open soon! I still have "two months to go" in my mind, and I think I'll probably keep thinking that so as not to get all antsy if/when my due date comes and goes like it did last time.

I'm feeling so great about our homebirth decision. My good friend had her baby boy at home yesterday and everything went great...and it's just made me feel very inspired and excited for when our baby comes.
post #124 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Hey mamas! I finally had time to catch up on this thread!

I had my 34 week appointment today, and was reminded by my midwife that I've got about 2 weeks to gather my birth supplies and have everything (somewhat) ready to go, because she goes on call as of 3/13! It was kind of an eye-opener, and not that I think I am going to go early or anything, but just that that window of possibility will be open soon! I still have "two months to go" in my mind, and I think I'll probably keep thinking that so as not to get all antsy if/when my due date comes and goes like it did last time.

I'm feeling so great about our homebirth decision. My good friend had her baby boy at home yesterday and everything went great...and it's just made me feel very inspired and excited for when our baby comes.
So glad you revived this thread! I'm in the same boat too! I'm 34 weeks today (4/9 is my EDD) & just had a prenatal today. I had a loss w/ my previous pregnancy, so sub-consciously I didn't want to start gathering things for a HB until it was likely that it is really going to happen. Well we're here! :

My midwives are coming for a home visit when I'm 36+1 ... I need to get my sh*t in gear
post #125 of 332
Hello everyone, just jumping in on this post-wagon...

I'm expecting #1 at the end of April, hoping for a HB and so far so good
I don't really know anyone personally who has had a HB, so this thread is really great to read
post #126 of 332
I'm glad to see this thread back up at the top.

I am feeling great about my HB plans. Some friends loaned us a big fancy birth pool! yay! (we could never have afforded something so deluxe).

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes through the hospital-based group where I am getting my unofficial co-care. Its been a bummer but I am doing great with diet control, and so I am even MORE glad I decided on HB and hired a MW, since I can already see the writing on the wall and I am *sure* the docs at the hospital would never give me the go-ahead to be in the birth center with MW (like last time). I've got to talk more with my HB midwife but if everything is still looking great with my blood sugar numbers I'll probably decline the size checks and basically drop out of the hospital-based practice.

I totally haven't gotten my supplies together. Have to do that before my 36 week home visit, but thats not for 3 1/2 more weeks, so, plenty of time!
post #127 of 332
I just gotta hold him in for 4 more weeks.... I can do it... And I'm going to have to bust my buns getting everything all gathered and ready when I'm off bed rest at 36 weeks since I'll need it all ready when the MW comes for the visit then.... and I want to be prepared by 37 weeks of course.
post #128 of 332
i havent even hardly thought about getting things ready for the hb yet. i have the list, and eventually we'll make an afternoon out of going to get things. maybe we should do that this weekend before we put things off for too long! i am excited though. i scared myself earlier by watching that baby story show (bad idea!). two episodes that were awful and ended in c-section and failed bfing, but i couldnt turn it off. then the last episode ended with a woman who had gotten an epidural going to ICU with brain swelling due to the epi, and i started to feel better about my natural birth at home. i will NOT be watching that show again anytime soon though! yikes!
post #129 of 332
Thread Starter 
I'm so glad to see this thread back up: - I was just thinking about it the other day!

I still haven't even started getting my supplies together either. I really kept thinking that because it's 'only' February, we have plenty of time. Well, March will be here in 3 days and we can all start saying that babies will be here NEXT MONTH!!! : The other morning I was up from 4am-6am panicking about all of the stuff I needed to do before baby arrives - prepping diapers, washing clothes (making sure we have enough!), washing blankets and boppy covers PLUS all of the preparations for the homebirth.

I go in next week for my 34 week visit with the midwife, then she'll be coming for the home visit at 36 weeks. I'll have to keep up with this thread as a reminder to get moving!!!
post #130 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
i scared myself earlier by watching that baby story show (bad idea!). two episodes that were awful and ended in c-section and failed bfing, but i couldnt turn it off. then the last episode ended with a woman who had gotten an epidural going to ICU with brain swelling due to the epi, and i started to feel better about my natural birth at home. i will NOT be watching that show again anytime soon though! yikes!

I was addicted to that show for awhile and I think that in the entire time I watched it there were only 4 or 5 women that had vaginal births and only 1 that had a natural birth, everything else was c-section and complications... not very uplifting, I had to cut myself off after awhile.
post #131 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerTwoTails View Post
I had to cut myself off after awhile.

I became really aware of this show and other media portrayals of birth when I did Hypnobabies my first pregnancy. She talks about the "Bubble of Peace" and how there are just *so* many images in our culture of birth being scary and painful and horrible, and also that people just loooooove to share their birth stories with pregnant women, especially if those stories are negative.

So mamas, protect your bubble of peace!
post #132 of 332
Crap. Supplies. I guess I should think about those one of these days. I've just been so busy and I keep telling myself that I have more then enough time to order things so I put it off, maybe next week when I get back home.
post #133 of 332
Feeling a little prepared here. I'm actually due the last day of March though, so I probably better be moving, huh?

I finally got my birth supplies together--the list wasn't that big, and it's all stuff I could find at Walmart. I got the newborn diapers and clothes out a few weeks ago--a fun activity for my girls.

But I'm still not feeling ready. I made a newborn wool wrap today (including kool-aid dyeing and applique!) but I still want to do one more of those. And finish making a diaper bag. And get ready emotionally to be a mother of 3.

It's good for me to have things I need to do though--keeps me from getting anxious.
post #134 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
i havent even hardly thought about getting things ready for the hb yet. i have the list, and eventually we'll make an afternoon out of going to get things. maybe we should do that this weekend before we put things off for too long! i am excited though. i scared myself earlier by watching that baby story show (bad idea!). two episodes that were awful and ended in c-section and failed bfing, but i couldnt turn it off. then the last episode ended with a woman who had gotten an epidural going to ICU with brain swelling due to the epi, and i started to feel better about my natural birth at home. i will NOT be watching that show again anytime soon though! yikes!
OMG. That show irritates the crap out of me. : It only ends that badly because they let it. And they don't breastfeed because they are whiney and lazy and don't want to do the work. Of course it hurts! Keep doing it so you don't get engorged and it'll stop hurting. Don't go into the hospital when you're not contracting, the baby hasn't moved down and you're only 2cm dilated. They'll give you pitocin. That will hurt. You'll get the epidural. Your contractions will slow. They'll up your pit. Nothing will happen because the baby hadn't moved down. They'll cut you open and remove you baby. Now you have 6 weeks to recover from major surgery. Congratulations.:
post #135 of 332
I so agree about A Baby Story. It drives me crazy. Although this week I did see a rare wonderful one where the mom gave birth with no meds in a tub with a midwife (CNM) at a birthing centre. It was great!

In Canada we get a show called Life's Birth Stories (or something like that) and it follows the pregnancies of several women at the same time. Some have high risk pgs, but there are lots of midwives and home births. I guess it's because it's filmed in Toronto where midwives are covered by the provincial health insurance (same here in BC). I like that show the best.

I've gotta order my pool, I just realized. Yikes!
post #136 of 332
I need to order a birth kit! Zoiks! Thanks, ladies!!!
post #137 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokimari View Post
OMG. That show irritates the crap out of me. : It only ends that badly because they let it. And they don't breastfeed because they are whiney and lazy and don't want to do the work. Of course it hurts! Keep doing it so you don't get engorged and it'll stop hurting. Don't go into the hospital when you're not contracting, the baby hasn't moved down and you're only 2cm dilated. They'll give you pitocin. That will hurt. You'll get the epidural. Your contractions will slow. They'll up your pit. Nothing will happen because the baby hadn't moved down. They'll cut you open and remove you baby. Now you have 6 weeks to recover from major surgery. Congratulations.:
Youre dead on. My friend had all of that (and more!) with her dd and then couldnt believe I would have a "dangerous" homebirth!
post #138 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1234 View Post
My friend had all of that (and more!) with her dd and then couldnt believe I would have a "dangerous" homebirth!
I know!!! People keep saying, "You're so brave!" and I'm like, really? Brave to stay home where I'm comfortable and peaceful, where I will only be surrounded by love and complete support; I won't be harassed and prodded and hooked up to machines and shown a complete lack of respect? Well, OK, if that's what brave means to you!
post #139 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
I know!!! People keep saying, "You're so brave!" and I'm like, really? Brave to stay home where I'm comfortable and peaceful, where I will only be surrounded by love and complete support; I won't be harassed and prodded and hooked up to machines and shown a complete lack of respect? Well, OK, if that's what brave means to you!
I totally get this all the time too and have the same stream of thought afterwards...I'm the baby in my family, my two older brothers have 4 kids each and no one believed that I would go through with the HB, when really I am way more scared of going to the hospital and getting unnecessary interventions. My sister-in-law has been given pitocin and an epidural for every one of her births and her and my brother were at first very unsupportive of my choice to have a HB (telling me it hurts too much etc.), but it seems the more I teach them about it, the better it gets, she even started making comments to my bro about wanting a similar type of birth as to what I'm planning
post #140 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerTwoTails View Post
the more I teach them about it, the better it gets, she even started making comments to my bro about wanting a similar type of birth as to what I'm planning
Well, lead by example, right?

I ordered my birth kit today, so I feel like that was a big accomplishment. I'm going down to the basement today to unpack all of the old towels and sheets that can be ruined if necessary, and see what else we need to buy. I've asked my friend if we can borrow her labor tub, so she's getting that together (she also has the pump that siphons out cold water so you can keep the tub water warm) and I should have that in the next week or so.

So do you have any labor projects in mind for when the big day actually arrives? I'm trying to think of something...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2009
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2009 › April HBers - Check in here!