or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Theologically liberal Christians
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Theologically liberal Christians - Page 2

post #21 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkowell1 View Post
How about we watch what we can and then each come up with our own question/statement. We list them and take on one at time with a different thread?
I think it would be overwhelming to watch the entire 4 hour program. If you click on the caption "Jesus's Many Faces" you will get to a page with a menu on the right. It starts with "What Can We Really Know About Jesus?" If you click on that it will take you to the script of the program.

If you want to watch, click on the tool bar the tab "Watch Online" It will load a player with several segments. The first segment is "The Quest for the Historical Jesus." This first segment is only 5 minutes long. The next "Places and Times in which Jesus Grew Up" is 14 minutes.

What do you think about watching those two segments and discussing them? We can call the new thread - "Historical Jesus: Where and When He Grew Up."

How does that sound?

Here is the link to the program:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/
post #22 of 182
Perhaps we should put our study threads in the Religious Studies subforum.
post #23 of 182
Thread Starter 
sounds good!
post #24 of 182
I was raised Unitarian and felt it was "not religious enough" and felt drawn to Christianity but not the "magic words" kind of Christianity that was most popular where I grew up--the belief that saying, "I accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior" makes you go to heaven no matter what you do!

I belong to the Episcopal Church now, and I really like it. : There is a creed, but a lot is left open to interpretation. One of our slogans is, "Jesus died to take away your sins, not your mind." We have mostly traditional, elaborate liturgy but with liberal ideas.

There's a split happening right now in the Episcopal Church between those who are sticking with it and those who are "realigning" with another Anglican province because they think the USA one is wrong about some issues, of which these are the top 3, with the USA province's answers in parentheses: Can sexually active homosexuals serve as priests and bishops? (yes) Is the Bible the literal and inerrant Word of God? (no; much of it is metaphorical) Is it okay to pray to the Trinity using words other than "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit"? (yes; we can say, "Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer" or other appropriate words) So, if you look into an Episcopal church, be prepared for the possibility that they're realigners--the parts of the country that have been most affected are Pennsylvania, Texas, and California.

I think the best way to find a new church is to do some research on the denominations, then look up individual churches of the denominations that interest you and see what you can find about them on the Web, then visit the ones that sound good and be sure to attend the coffee hour or whatever social time they have so that you can meet people and learn more.
post #25 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsmom View Post
sounds good!
I'm going out tonight (BRRRR.....) so I may not get to posting a new thread until tomorrow afternoon.
post #26 of 182
sounds good to me as well.
post #27 of 182
Thread Starter 
to you, too EnviroBecca! (That smiley cracks me up!)

Thanks for the info and suggestions. There is an Episcopal church in my area that I've been interested in. So I would just ask them if they are "realigning"? If they were recently considering hiring a gay man as a new priest (the one who just retired is my neighbor! ) then can I guess maybe they're not realigning?
post #28 of 182
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukimom View Post
I'm going out tonight (BRRRR.....) so I may not get to posting a new thread until tomorrow afternoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkowell1 View Post
sounds good to me as well.
Stay warm Suzukimom, and I look forward to chatting about the PBS segment soon!
post #29 of 182
Sorry it took me all day but I finally started a thread for our discussion.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1#post12999971
post #30 of 182
Can I come in?

I don't know if I'm even a liberal Christian per se, but I can say this: I think Jesus had the right message. I think we do well to emulate him.

I honestly don't think Jesus cares if you think he's God or not. The loving God that I feel in my life doesn't care for acknowledgement. That's kind of the whole point of unconditional love.

I also am very open to other religious experiences, wisdom, etc.

I don't think that the Bible is the literal word of God. I think much of it is metaphor.

So. That's my statement of faith. Can I play?
post #31 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAs View Post
Can I come in?

I don't know if I'm even a liberal Christian per se, but I can say this: I think Jesus had the right message. I think we do well to emulate him.

I honestly don't think Jesus cares if you think he's God or not. The loving God that I feel in my life doesn't care for acknowledgement. That's kind of the whole point of unconditional love.

I also am very open to other religious experiences, wisdom, etc.

I don't think that the Bible is the literal word of God. I think much of it is metaphor.

So. That's my statement of faith. Can I play?
Yes, please do! I have the same viewpoints as you do abouat Jesus and God.
post #32 of 182
Cool! Thanks.
post #33 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAs View Post
Can I come in?

I don't know if I'm even a liberal Christian per se, but I can say this: I think Jesus had the right message. I think we do well to emulate him.

I honestly don't think Jesus cares if you think he's God or not. The loving God that I feel in my life doesn't care for acknowledgement. That's kind of the whole point of unconditional love.

I also am very open to other religious experiences, wisdom, etc.

I don't think that the Bible is the literal word of God. I think much of it is metaphor.

So. That's my statement of faith. Can I play?
This sums up how I feel, too!
post #34 of 182
Oh yay!:

I was starting to feel so alone in my beliefs!

I have even stopped calling myself a christian. I call myself a follower of Christ. I just can't buy the whole "if you don't say this formulatic prayer, you ain't saved" stuff. I also have problems with literalism and fundamentalism in general. I believe that fundamentalism whether it be fundamentalist beliefs in christianity, islam, enviromentalism, or even cloth diapering are closed minded and judgemental and without compassion.

I think my views began to change when I went on a mission trip with teen mania (world vision) and instead of feeding, clothing, educating and providing medical resources, we were expected to "SAVE SOULS" and keep a running tally. (gag)

I continue to grow.
post #35 of 182
I was mostly raised as an Episcopalian, although I did go to Friends Meeting for a year or so.

Lilearthmama - it's funny, only in the last couple of years have I been comfortable saying "I'm a Christian" - why should the fundamentalist pre-millennial dispensationists be allowed to high-jack the word?

Sojourners is a pretty good magazine for progressive Christians.
post #36 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Oh yay!:

I was starting to feel so alone in my beliefs!

I have even stopped calling myself a christian. I call myself a follower of Christ. I just can't buy the whole "if you don't say this formulatic prayer, you ain't saved" stuff. I also have problems with literalism and fundamentalism in general. I believe that fundamentalism whether it be fundamentalist beliefs in christianity, islam, enviromentalism, or even cloth diapering are closed minded and judgemental and without compassion.

I think my views began to change when I went on a mission trip with teen mania (world vision) and instead of feeding, clothing, educating and providing medical resources, we were expected to "SAVE SOULS" and keep a running tally. (gag)

I continue to grow.
That confirms my reasons for never giving money to word vision (even though they always send me solicitations).
post #37 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukimom View Post
I wish I knew you all IRL. I don't have anyone I know who thinks like I do theologically. Well, I do have a sister who has liberal beliefs but she lives across the country. I've been in a church for 13 years and my newfound beliefs would be considered heresy. For now we aren't attending an institutional church but have a spiritual discussion with my dh and dc on Sunday mornings instead.

Would anyone be interested in a forum book club where we read a book together and discuss it?
I would. I really identified with your first post. Years ago I was feeling really disenchanted with my faith, and someone told me to find the best that it had to offer. Basically, take what you like and leave the rest. There is no religion on earth that will be 100% consistent with my personal beliefs. I loved Borg's Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time, and have Reading the Bible Again for the First Time on my bookshelf.
post #38 of 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
I would. I really identified with your first post. Years ago I was feeling really disenchanted with my faith, and someone told me to find the best that it had to offer. Basically, take what you like and leave the rest. There is no religion on earth that will be 100% consistent with my personal beliefs. .
I used to struggle so much with this. I had this idea that I had to buy in 100% or nothing, that I either had to leave the faith, or believe it all. I'm just starting to be able to see that I'm not the problem. (Good ol' Catholic guilt! )
post #39 of 182
I also have a hard time calling myself a Christian, most of the "Christians" I come in contact with are hate mongers. It makes me sad. T
post #40 of 182
I am enjoying this thread! It is nice to find a group of like minded "seekers".
I just had a discussion with a co-worker (I work at a Catholic highschool) and
I told my co-worker that I really just have to call myself a practicing Catholic (cough, cough), a mystical Christian, and open truth and Divinity in all forms.

Blessings!
Kathleen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Theologically liberal Christians