or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Just a quick question....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just a quick question....

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I am new here, but I thought this would be the perfect place to ask a question that I have had about vax/non vax.

I am not being confrontational, just curious.

If you do not vaccinate, and you send your child to public schools with other children... your belief is that not vax is best for your child and right, how does that play into those parents that believe that vaccinating their child is the best thing, and now an unvax child is putting other children at risk when some diseases that have been almost eradicated because of vax. ARe the lives of those Vax children not as important?
post #2 of 23
If the vaxes work, as they think, why worry?
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
If the vaxes work, as they think, why worry?
Exactly.
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
BTW... I am not totally against not Vax. I hate the fact that neither one of my older children have gotten the Chicken Pox because of the Vax. I am worried about her getting it when they are adults, and also worried because I am not 100% sure if the booster is going to work... grrr. I believe that Vax are important for diseases such as polio and meningistis, but chicken pox.......no
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
If the vaxes work, as they think, why worry?
interesting, but although a vaccine may seem to be eradicated (in the US)... such as with polio, with global connection it would be easy for someone to return to the US with a virus such as this. Would it not?
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemygirlsx3 View Post
interesting, but although a vaccine may seem to be eradicated (in the US)... such as with polio, with global connection it would be easy for someone to return to the US with a virus such as this. Would it not?
But if you think the vax works, again, and if you have vaxed your DC...why worry? They are protected, in your opinion, so my unvaxed kid should be of no concern.
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
But if you think the vax works, again, and if you have vaxed your DC...why worry? They are protected, in your opinion, so my unvaxed kid should be of no concern.
Interesting, thanks for your opinions
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemygirlsx3 View Post
interesting, but although a vaccine may seem to be eradicated (in the US)... such as with polio, with global connection it would be easy for someone to return to the US with a virus such as this. Would it not?
In 30 years there have only been 8 cases of polio being brought into the US. All other cases have been caused by the vaccine. There have been no wild cases of polio in that time.

Also if you think vaxes work then you should realize that most countries have the same vaxes we do, so therefore by your logic the same protection. Some countries like Mexico have much higher rates of coverage than we do here in the US. So it would be unlikely, if vaxes work, that a disease would come into the US.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemygirlsx3 View Post
I am new here, but I thought this would be the perfect place to ask a question that I have had about vax/non vax.

I am not being confrontational, just curious.

If you do not vaccinate, and you send your child to public schools with other children... your belief is that not vax is best for your child and right, how does that play into those parents that believe that vaccinating their child is the best thing, and now an unvax child is putting other children at risk when some diseases that have been almost eradicated because of vax. ARe the lives of those Vax children not as important?
I think our society as a whole would be healthier if no one vaxed.

Also, as mentioned, if the vaxes work, how would the unvaxed put the vaxed at risk?

If you inject live viruses into your children, aren't you concerned about exposing immune-compromised people?

If you vaccinate your children, aren't you concerned about skewing the immune systems of society as a whole by changing childhood diseases to adult diseases? If you vaccinate, aren't you concerned about messing with a balance that has evolved over millions of years?



-Angela
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemygirlsx3 View Post
I believe that Vax are important for diseases such as polio and meningistis, but chicken pox.......no
Polio is controversial- research it more

Meningitis is a condition, not a disease. It can be caused by any number of viruses, bacteria, medicines, etc.

-Angela
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemygirlsx3 View Post
interesting, but although a vaccine may seem to be eradicated (in the US)... such as with polio, with global connection it would be easy for someone to return to the US with a virus such as this. Would it not?
Theoretically possible. Highly unlikely if the CDC is to be believed.

The polio vax currently in use in the US does not prevent transmission anyway.

-Angela
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemygirlsx3 View Post
I am new here, but I thought this would be the perfect place to ask a question that I have had about vax/non vax.

I am not being confrontational, just curious.

If you do not vaccinate, and you send your child to public schools with other children... your belief is that not vax is best for your child and right, how does that play into those parents that believe that vaccinating their child is the best thing, and now an unvax child is putting other children at risk when some diseases that have been almost eradicated because of vax. ARe the lives of those Vax children not as important?

This makes the assumption that all non vaxed children are harboring all kinds of diseases. Since in general (not always) unvaxed kids have more robust immune systems, they often do not get sick when exposed, and yes I agree with PP's. If you believe in the efficacy of vaccines what are you worried about being around my unvaccinated child??
post #13 of 23
Quote:
If you vaccinate your children, aren't you concerned about skewing the immune systems of society as a whole by changing childhood diseases to adult diseases? If you vaccinate, aren't you concerned about messing with a balance that has evolved over millions of years?
And if you vaccinate, aren't you concerned with serotype replacement and that your actions are contributing to the emergence of new, more virulent strains, possibly resistant strains, that will affect the health of vaxed and non-vaxed individuals alike? How's that for putting people at risk?
post #14 of 23
"The polio vax currently in use in the US does not prevent transmission anyway"


I have read this before- mostly in regards to the pertussis vaccine.
What exactly does it mean when a vax doesn't prevent transmission???
Does that mean that you won't get the disease but it won't stop you from giving it to someone else?? Or am i totally not in the ballpark :-)
Thanks!
post #15 of 23
You catch the disease and are able to pass it on to others, but the vaccine theoretically prevents the development of toxins that produce symptoms.
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernG View Post
You catch the disease and are able to pass it on to others, but the vaccine theoretically prevents the development of toxins that produce symptoms.
:

For pertussis. But for polio it's a bit different- the current vax theoretically prevents the paralysis symptoms.

-Angela
post #17 of 23
Thanks for the quick response.

So does anyone have any specific literature or something to read that explains how certain vaccines don't prevent transmission???
B/c that totally dismisses the whole argument of "what if your child gets it and gives it to someone that has a bad immune system- aren't you at fault??"

thanks!
post #18 of 23
And I do believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the cases of polio that paralyzed so many people back in the 50s and 60s were mostly DDT poisoning from chemicals in fields, right? So of course the stats on polio show that it went waaaaay way down after the vax started showing up!
post #19 of 23
I agree with all that went before me and would like to add: my children and THEIR health are my concern, I do not have responsibility for society's health, only for my own family.

ETA: if my child has an adverse reaction to a vaccine, society will not take responsibility for them, why should I place society before my child?
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
And I do believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that most of the cases of polio that paralyzed so many people back in the 50s and 60s were mostly DDT poisoning from chemicals in fields, right? So of course the stats on polio show that it went waaaaay way down after the vax started showing up!
:

Polio has been around since ancient egypt and is a benign flu-like illness. Even in the 20th century when kids were getting paralyzed they still only represented 1% of all infections. Even President Roosevelt did not have polio. I did an article on polio as DDT poisoning if you want to read on my blog (in sig - search for polio)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Not Vaccinating
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Baby Health › Vaccinations › I'm Not Vaccinating › Just a quick question....