or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › NICU & Preemie Parenting › help simon is stuck on o2 update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

help simon is stuck on o2 update

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
My 18 dY OLD 36wkr is stuck on less than a 1/10 of a liter of o2 for the last wk fallowing a bought of newborn pneumonia. Has this happened to anyone else and how long does it take. I really want to get him home.

I dont want to get my hopes up too high, but simon has been off his o2 for almost 12 hours.
post #2 of 12
That didn't happen to my child specifically but I know several of my friend's kiddos were like that. One friend had a little girl who was on 1/32 of oxygen but anytime you took it off she desatted. It was crazy! Most the time typically around 40wks things like that will get better. Not much longer. Remember, he still hasn't hit his due date and kiddos mature slower outside of the womb than inside. Pneumonia can do a number on a FT baby's lungs and on a preemie, even more so. It's so hard to be patient I know.
post #3 of 12
My nephew was 37 weeks and had pneumonia too (among other things- pneumothorax and bad hypoglycemia). He spent his first 2 weeks in the NICU, and then ended up coming home on oxygen, and was on oxygen at home for probably another 2 or 3 weeks. Why will they not let your LO go home with oxygen, if that's all that's keeping him in the hospital?
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Emily first all I read most of your blog and you are one amazing Lady. I admire your strength. I have felt lately that if I get one more thing dropped my lap how will I ever be able to cope. Your story and the stories of your lovely children have helped inspire me to stop being so impatient and realize there is a light at the end of the tunnel and Simon and I will reach it soon.

Noahs mom thank you for the info and Simons pedi and I are discussing the next step wich is taking o2 home. He is sating at the mid 90-100 on 1/10 of a liter wich is rediculous at how small of an amount that is. Sometimes when he is being tested he will stay in the 90s for hours and other times he drops right down into the low 80s -upper 70s within minutes. I am just so frustrated he is so close to term otherwise very healthy he is gaining almost an average of 2 oz a day and he is bfing like I never thought he would after 8 days before he got his first taste of mummies milk.

Oh yeah did either one of you ever notices the NICU staff never like to give you a timeline. I understand the reasoning behind but some parents need that to hang onto. I did anyway
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by irangel View Post
That didn't happen to my child specifically but I know several of my friend's kiddos were like that. One friend had a little girl who was on 1/32 of oxygen but anytime you took it off she desatted. It was crazy! Most the time typically around 40wks things like that will get better. Not much longer. Remember, he still hasn't hit his due date and kiddos mature slower outside of the womb than inside. Pneumonia can do a number on a FT baby's lungs and on a preemie, even more so. It's so hard to be patient I know.
My Katie was like this. She just wouldn't give it up and came home with O2. It's been nearly 3 years so my memory is fuzzy, but I think she was discharged on .025 liter. (I'll come back and edit that if necessary). A week later her tubing came off the O2 concentrator and within 2 minutes she was satting in the 40s. Terrifying. But with it on, she was just fine. They had told me to expect maybe 2 weeks of O2 and it ended up being nearly 3 months before we were able to wean her completely. If your son is otherwise healthy, get him out of the NICU and deal with the O2 for however long you need to - it's better than keeping him there.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adensmommy View Post
Emily first all I read most of your blog and you are one amazing Lady. I admire your strength. I have felt lately that if I get one more thing dropped my lap how will I ever be able to cope. Your story and the stories of your lovely children have helped inspire me to stop being so impatient and realize there is a light at the end of the tunnel and Simon and I will reach it soon.

Oh yeah did either one of you ever notices the NICU staff never like to give you a timeline. I understand the reasoning behind but some parents need that to hang onto. I did anyway
If you read all my blog you are the amazing one. Haha. It's my outlet for sure. Without it I would die. (maybe that's a bit dramatic but you catch my drift)

There is light at the end of the tunnel but it's still terribly difficult to see that when you're in the moment and all you can think about is getting your baby home. Your feelings are totally normal.

Our NICU was AWFUL about giving timelines. The one time I heard a timeline of sorts was when the neo told me that she could foresee my daughter coming home in July (due date was mid-June) at the rate she was going. I was ecstatic and it really gave me hope. She came home in October... In the NICU things can change on an hourly basis. A baby can be doing well one minute and not the next (more typical of the little ones than of an almost term baby). I can understand the staff being hesitant to give a time line in an attempt to protect the parents from disappointment. For me personally I was never disappointed that the neo's timeline was so off; I just enjoyed those few days where I day dreamed of bringing my little girl home soon.

Good luck to you guys! Taking him home on oxygen is not nearly as terrifying as it will seem at first. It becomes so routine and at only 1/10L you can ask for a little M6 tank which come with a carrying bag, weigh about 2-5lbs (guessing) and are the size of a wine bottle. So easy!
post #7 of 12
Is he actually getting any supplemental oxygen? Or is he in room air @ 0.1 lpm?

Could he be refluxing?
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMacGee View Post
Is he actually getting any supplemental oxygen? Or is he in room air @ 0.1 lpm?

Could he be refluxing?
Haha. I totally read this and was like what the heck is she talking about. Looked at your siggy saw "RN" and realized I must just be slow this morning so I re-read it about 5x and finally was like "duh" she's asking if he's on 1/10L low flow at 100% oxygen or just at 21% oxygen at a 1/10L flow...
post #9 of 12
Sorry about that . It's sometimes hard to switch between NICU-ese and English. I just finished a stretch of work.


I'm just curious because if he's still in 100%, that needs to be weaned. You can't get any lower flow-wise than 1/10 LPM.

If we have babies on 21% 1/10 lpm, we just turn the cannula off. At that point, it's just occluding the nares (blocking their nose) and not doing any good.
post #10 of 12
I know not having timelines was hard for me, too, especially at the beginning until the NICU became kind of a routine for me and going day-to-day was easier since it was just my life at the time. I'd say that took at least a month of our two month stay, though. I'm so sorry.

Remember: you will leave when Simon is ready. I know that when Gwyn was ready to come home, I couldn't wait...but once I got him home, I went, "Oh no, I can't believe they let me take him, I can't take care of him!" Remembering how thorough they were about making sure that he was healthy enough to be at home really has helped me.

s I'm so sorry. It is really, really hard to be patient. You and your lovely boy are in my thoughts.
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugMacGee View Post
Sorry about that . It's sometimes hard to switch between NICU-ese and English. I just finished a stretch of work.


I'm just curious because if he's still in 100%, that needs to be weaned. You can't get any lower flow-wise than 1/10 LPM.

If we have babies on 21% 1/10 lpm, we just turn the cannula off. At that point, it's just occluding the nares (blocking their nose) and not doing any good.
They tried just the room air in the cannula, no cigar though. I'm not sure what the percentage is but I do know it is 1/10 LPM I will ask Simons Pedi tomorrow thank you.
post #12 of 12
Yes, have them try room air with no nasal cannula. Room air with nasal cannula requires them to try to breathe room air with something blocking their nose...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NICU & Preemie Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › NICU & Preemie Parenting › help simon is stuck on o2 update