or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

homebirthers tribe - Page 5

post #81 of 117
Thread Starter 
ours will see you between 37-42 weeks... although I doubt I'll go anywhere near 37 weeks (but I can't say I'd mind!)
post #82 of 117
Mine is an unlicensed (and illegal) DEM so she is a little more liberal with the dates... she has attended 45-weekers (can you imagine??!!) so I am not worried about the overdue thing. And she will attend starting at 36 weeks... I think that is just about my comfort zone, too.
post #83 of 117
37 weeks is the official "start date" here, but midwives have been known to fudge it a bit. There is no end, as long as the baby looks good.
post #84 of 117
My mw is a CPM & only CNM are licensed in my state so she is able to take it more case by case. I believe that she usually says not before 36w and then until baby comes and we are both comfortable. That is one reason why I sought out a CPM, I have never gone into labor on my own (dd1 induced at 42w only fingertip dilated and dd2 via c/s at 41w5d b/c footling breech) and I want someone who will look at my individual case and not just at the fact that I am 42 or 43 weeks.
post #85 of 117
I'm a licensed midwife, and can attend homebirths as early as 35 weeks. It would just depend upon the circumstance/what and how the couple felt, etc.
post #86 of 117
Forgot to say that my midwife is part of the public health service in the UK, so that's why she can't be flexible with the dates. Mine are very nice though, and free, which is always good
post #87 of 117
Reha, what are the risks when it comes to a 35 or 36 weeker? How often do they have to transfer?
post #88 of 117
I've done a few births now with 35 week babies, and I think that when labor starts spontaneous (and it isn't due to infection), that most of those babies do fine. The biggest problems for 35 week babies is they can sometimes have a hard time keeping warm/regulating their temp, and issues with breastfeeding (poor latch/suck, sleepy, etc).
post #89 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reha View Post
I've done a few births now with 35 week babies, and I think that when labor starts spontaneous (and it isn't due to infection), that most of those babies do fine. The biggest problems for 35 week babies is they can sometimes have a hard time keeping warm/regulating their temp, and issues with breastfeeding (poor latch/suck, sleepy, etc).
Yeah, everyone told me our 35-weeker would end up in the NICU, unable to breathe or eat... it ended up he was tiny, but totally healthy and latched on right away (blew even me away!!). It is really amazing to see the differences between babies - my best friend had a 36-weeker who ended up in the NICU because his gag wasn't there yet. I just keep focusing on the number 37 in hopes of making it that far!
post #90 of 117
My body hurts (mostly thighs and hiney) from the landscaping that we did this weekend but I asked dh this morning if we could try to finish it tonight so that we would be done with it. I keep wondering if I am being wise or foolish. Everyone keeps telling me that they think that I will go on or before my due date this time and to be honest it is starting to get to me and is freaking me out a little bit. I am only 34w1d. My goal is to have "everything" outside done by 36w and to have the rest of my to do list (mostly inside stuff and shopping) done by 38w. I have never gone into labor on my own (42w). So in my mind, I have about 4 weeks to get ready and 8-10 weeks until baby but everyone else is expecting a baby in 4-6 weeks. Eeks!! I think that I am allowing it to feak me out a little more b/c I am experiencing pressure a little sooner this time (maybe baby is deciding to go head down a little earlier?) and dd1 did not turn until 37w and dd2 was footling the whole time so the pressure was a few weeks later.
post #91 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalynn View Post
My body hurts (mostly thighs and hiney) from the landscaping that we did this weekend but I asked dh this morning if we could try to finish it tonight so that we would be done with it. I keep wondering if I am being wise or foolish. Everyone keeps telling me that they think that I will go on or before my due date this time and to be honest it is starting to get to me and is freaking me out a little bit. I am only 34w1d. My goal is to have "everything" outside done by 36w and to have the rest of my to do list (mostly inside stuff and shopping) done by 38w. I have never gone into labor on my own (42w). So in my mind, I have about 4 weeks to get ready and 8-10 weeks until baby but everyone else is expecting a baby in 4-6 weeks. Eeks!! I think that I am allowing it to feak me out a little more b/c I am experiencing pressure a little sooner this time (maybe baby is deciding to go head down a little earlier?) and dd1 did not turn until 37w and dd2 was footling the whole time so the pressure was a few weeks later.
Don't let everyone freak you out. I think that the whole dd thing can end up being such a mental hurdle. Like you really need everyone you know calling you at 38w when you could have 3-4 more weeks.
I'm 33w and I'm sort of on the same schedule as you. I only just yesterday got my diapers out of storage, but I don't plan to start getting stuff ready closer to 36 or 37 weeks.

This pg when people have asked me when I'm due, I just say sometime in July.
post #92 of 117
does anyone know what kind of foods they will have available for labor - both for yourself & midwife/dad/others at birth?
post #93 of 117
Every time people begin telling me by 34 weeks that they are sure I will go soon.
Sure, I look huge, my belly is super low and I am miserable barely being able to walk... but that means nothing! I always go at least at 41 weeks.
The worst part is all the phone calls for over 6 weeks!
I try not to let myself get excited with the whole world telling me I will have the baby soon, but I always do, and then the last 4 weeks feel lime an eternity!
post #94 of 117
I know that the whole 40w edd is really not evidence based and I should not let it get to me. After thinking about it, I think that it might be that what is driving me crazy is that people just think that this baby will come "on time" b/c by the 3rd baby, I am "due" an "on time" baby - like that has anything to do with anything. By that logic, I would also be "due" an early baby and a lot of other things. I have been telling people that my edd is 7/12 but I would probably be more likely 7/26'ish or so. I guess that I should really just say 7/26.
post #95 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Every time people begin telling me by 34 weeks that they are sure I will go soon.
Sure, I look huge, my belly is super low and I am miserable barely being able to walk... but that means nothing! I always go at least at 41 weeks.
The worst part is all the phone calls for over 6 weeks!
I try not to let myself get excited with the whole world telling me I will have the baby soon, but I always do, and then the last 4 weeks feel lime an eternity!
I read a suggestion somewhere that if you are tired of the "did you have the baby yet?" calls that sometimes its helpful to change the message on your voicemail to say "Still pregnant... leave a message after the beep!" I thought that was cute.

Sending you some come a tiny bit early, baby vibes! :
post #96 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
I read a suggestion somewhere that if you are tired of the "did you have the baby yet?" calls that sometimes its helpful to change the message on your voicemail to say "Still pregnant... leave a message after the beep!" I thought that was cute.

Sending you some come a tiny bit early, baby vibes! :
I am definitely going to do this if people start calling me, but I have more of a problem with people in person stating the obvious .... this really is not rocket science you know - "do you see a baby?", "do I still look like a beach ball?" - like I am going to hide the fact that the baby was born.
post #97 of 117
Man, I feel like the late bloomer of the bunch (I'm 31wks5d). I at least have finally decided on a birth tub but need to order it (Birth Tub in a Box). I have so many birth supplies around the house that there isn't too much I need to piece together. Still need to go to the House of Hose and have them put one together for me. Other than that I think we are set. I just hope the tub fits in my room or I will have to birth in my office (not the worst place as it is covered in preggo artwork, but its not my home sanctuary).
post #98 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalynn View Post
I have been telling people that my edd is 7/12 but I would probably be more likely 7/26'ish or so. I guess that I should really just say 7/26.
That is exactly why I tell everyone not to expect baby until the middle of August. I'm due 7/30, but was induced (and not very ripe) at 2 weeks with my first son and had number two naturally 17 days after my due date. On top of that I have a long family history of everyone brewing babies long (without the long cycles that usually accompanies that, weird!) Part of me actually worries about the shock that going any earlier would cause me! No one in my family is expecting a baby for quite a while.
post #99 of 117
Thread Starter 
I sort of feel like I may go past my due date as well... and there is a girl at my church due 11 days after me that I just *know* is going to have her baby first lol. I am TRYING to just assume I'll be late so I can be pleasantly surprised if I'm not.
post #100 of 117
I'm actually worried about going too early to have a hb. I'm 34 weeks today. I've been losing bits of my mucous plug for a couple of days now and have been having lots of braxton hicks, though not frequently enough to really worry about.

With my first two, I lost a huge hunk of my plug and was in labor within 24 hours. So even seeing the small bits is freaking me out. Hopefully it just means I'm dialating a bit and will have a quick labor when it happens.

Of course, now that I shared this, I'll go to 43 weeks and have an August baby!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2009