or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

March 1st Timers?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Just curious to see how many of us are expecting LO #1 in March?

Do you feel prepared at all? I still feel like my mom should be walking in at any moment to give me a list of everything that needs to be done, fixed, changed, and purchased!
post #2 of 19
I feel mentally prepared in that "take things as they come" way. I started worrying about every little "what if" and it wasn't pretty, so I'm trying to not think like that.

As for the immediate surroundings... It's going to be a hustle, as I've still got 2 1/2 weeks until my shower and we're waiting on a lot of things to see if people buy us items. If it turns out no one buys us the necessary items, it'll be a rush to get those most necessary and then work our way up. We've got a very limited income, so there's backup plans involved, should we not be able to get something (other than the car seat, of course).
post #3 of 19
Yes, it's my first.

No, I don't feel prepared at all! Someone asked me the other day if I felt like a mother, and I said that I probably wouldn't even feel like a mother once I had a baby... I think it's probably something you "come into" gradually.

We are so not prepared in general... we're considering moving April 1. Our due date is March 6. We are insane.
post #4 of 19
It's my first, and I don't feel prepared either. I had one shower and got some great smaller things, but don't have any of the bigger items. I'm having a gift card shower in two weeks, so I'm hoping to get some money there so I can get some of the other stuff. Right now we have a small one bedroom because we are only here temporarily and will be moving to Boston at the end of April. And I'm due March 1. We have a cradle that is a family heirloom and plan on using that until after the move. I've spent so much time studying labor, though, I feel like I need to spend time figuring out what to do with the baby once it's here. Everyone says it will come naturally, but I'm not so sure about that!
post #5 of 19
Man, you guys made me feel better!!

Material-wise, I *think* I'm good. I've got 2 more baby showers to get through, one of which is definitely producing a car seat and the slings I ask for. I've got a co-sleeper, tons of clothes, nb sposies (don't judge! they were free and I'm on an EXTREMELY tight budget for cd's so I'm conserving for larger sizes), boobs and a sane, smoke-free home to bring her into.

Labor/birth-wise, I sat down with b yesterday to go over the birth plan, my expectations of him during/post l&d and answer any questions he had (he's deferred all decision-making to me...go figure ) so we're good, and I'm confident that my wishes are understood.

Mentally, I'm on the emotional roller-coaster of late pregnancy, but I am confident that I'll be a good mom. I think I'm already making decisions as one and feeling very in touch with my mama instinct and strength.

: I'm just so excited!
post #6 of 19
I am not, but wanted to send to all of you.

It's such a special time in your life...I remember leaving the hospital with my first, and it being such a whirlwind. And I remember being tense, waiting for someone to stop us and say, "You people have no idea what you're doing...who let you have this baby?!"

We really didn't...and I'm so glad for you guys, first time moms who've educated yourselves and know what you want! :
post #7 of 19
It's our first as well. We haven't done anything - couldn't be much less prepared at this point... I'm having a shower on the 7th of March and am taking 2 days off work after that to prep the nursery and, to be honest, me.
post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
I am not, but wanted to send to all of you.

It's such a special time in your life...I remember leaving the hospital with my first, and it being such a whirlwind. And I remember being tense, waiting for someone to stop us and say, "You people have no idea what you're doing...who let you have this baby?!"

We really didn't...and I'm so glad for you guys, first time moms who've educated yourselves and know what you want! :
HAHAHAHAAA!! Yeah, that's basically what I'm imagining happening to us!

And thank you for the rest, that was so sweet of you

And the rest of you guys...how did these baby showers come to be for you? I've had a few people (my step-sister and an old friend who both live out of town, my MIL and out of town SILs) TALK about wanting to throw one, but that's all they've done is talk. I told my MIL early on that she didn't have to do that, and later (when she really seemed like she wanted to anyway) that it would be nice to have a get together or something, but no one should feel obligated to buy us stuff. Now there's no talk at all about it, and I'm not sure if I should just go and buy the rest of the stuff I need or wait :/
post #9 of 19
This is probably going to sound very selfish of me, but when my sister started talking about throwing one, I kinda jumped in and asked what she needed help with, to make sure it happened and I knew about it. I was also getting sick of all my friends asking when I was going to have a baby shower and me answering with "I don't know, ask my sister".

I'm a horrible person with surprises and I don't like not knowing what's going on. At least with me keeping in contact with my sister, I had information, which put my mind at ease. I stress really bad with uncertainty.

I don't think I'm getting a shower at work (so far and I'm not pushing it). I can hardly get these people to hold the door open for me (god forbid, they have to wait a few more seconds for a pregnant lady who can't run to the door), much less give me so much as a card. I don't really care...my friends and family that matter will be at the shower that I know about.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbishop View Post
HAHAHAHAAA!! Yeah, that's basically what I'm imagining happening to us!

And thank you for the rest, that was so sweet of you

And the rest of you guys...how did these baby showers come to be for you? I've had a few people (my step-sister and an old friend who both live out of town, my MIL and out of town SILs) TALK about wanting to throw one, but that's all they've done is talk. I told my MIL early on that she didn't have to do that, and later (when she really seemed like she wanted to anyway) that it would be nice to have a get together or something, but no one should feel obligated to buy us stuff. Now there's no talk at all about it, and I'm not sure if I should just go and buy the rest of the stuff I need or wait :/
Wait.

I'm honestly not really comfortable with the idea of a baby shower, but my il's and immed fam are so "mainstream" so it's kind of inevitable. Since there was a relatively small window of opportunity (everyone wanted to wait until after the holidays) people scheduled dates with me in advance - I work full time and really need to plan these things!

My feeling is that if it's been talked about, it will happen. You are probably not hearing anything because it's now being planned. If you get to a point where you're sort of uncomfortable because you don't have the things you need, ask someone, and decide then, but for now, I'd give it a little bit more time!
post #11 of 19
This is our first. I feel really prepared and unprepared at the same time. We've got most of the logistical stuff worked out. Still a bunch on the 'to do' and 'to buy' list but it is thankfully shrinking.

We won't be having a shower. I'm finding myself a little sad about that. We aren't struggling to get stocked on baby stuff so that isn't the issue. Its more a kind of sad feeling that this baby deserves a celebration. I've attended plenty of showers and made handmade gifts for pretty much every baby that enters my circle. When I can't attend the shower I still always send something off the registry and something made with love. So I think I'm mostly sad that this baby isn't getting handmade gifts. Of course, if we were having a shower, there is no reason to believe we would get anything handmade. Most of my family isn't crafty so they would just head to the store anyway. So instead I'm just focusing on making as much as I can myself.
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
This is our first. I feel really prepared and unprepared at the same time. We've got most of the logistical stuff worked out. Still a bunch on the 'to do' and 'to buy' list but it is thankfully shrinking.

We won't be having a shower. I'm finding myself a little sad about that. We aren't struggling to get stocked on baby stuff so that isn't the issue. Its more a kind of sad feeling that this baby deserves a celebration. I've attended plenty of showers and made handmade gifts for pretty much every baby that enters my circle. When I can't attend the shower I still always send something off the registry and something made with love. So I think I'm mostly sad that this baby isn't getting handmade gifts. Of course, if we were having a shower, there is no reason to believe we would get anything handmade. Most of my family isn't crafty so they would just head to the store anyway. So instead I'm just focusing on making as much as I can myself.
You don't need a shower to celebrate the baby! I'm planning to do a "meet the baby" party - hopefully a month or so after the baby is here!
post #13 of 19
When it comes to "stuff" we have pretty much everything we need to bring the baby home. Beyond that I think we can figure it out. As we've been decorating and purchasing some people say "oh, you're nesting". I am nesting but it's not pregnancy related for me because I am ALWAYS nesting.

Emotionally I think we're getting there. The thought of having a child in our care is scary to us because neither one of us has ever babysat or changed diaper in our lives. I have a feeling the Moms and the internet will be our best friends in those first few days. We're taking some classes on newborn care so that should help. Our Doula also does post-partum visits so it's nice to have that as backup. Aside from that fear we are just soo excited to meet this little one.
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
You don't need a shower to celebrate the baby! I'm planning to do a "meet the baby" party - hopefully a month or so after the baby is here!
I'm doing this too. I asked that no visitors (besides h, mom and mil) come to the hospital to visit us. I want to be able to rest and heal and bond/breastfeed in peace. I figured it would be much nicer to have families assemble and celebrate than shuttle down to the hospital for their 15 minute visitation.
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
You don't need a shower to celebrate the baby! I'm planning to do a "meet the baby" party - hopefully a month or so after the baby is here!
me three

i actually asked not to be thrown a shower. i feel like it's bad mojo... a silly superstition, but what can i tell you.

these will be my first two (!!!). mentally, i feel prepared. i'm a very what-will-be-will-be kinda person, so i plan on just taking it as it comes... i know i'm going to be completely sleep-deprived... and i know that i'll have babies glued to my boobs for a while... but it is what it is and i'll do it. i'm not afraid, even though just everyone around me is trying really hard to freak me out i say bring it on!!

stuff-wise, not totally prepared. we have the car seats, diaper pail/liners, a swing (got a great deal on the papasan-type, couldn't resist), and he co-sleeper. other than the cloth dipes, which i need to buy nobody knows about the cloth yet, they will be horrified ), my family is planning on getting us a bunch of clothes, the cribs, bedding and changing table. so that stuff will come while i'm in the hospital. as far as other things go, i know that people will want to buy a bunch off of the registry... i just don't know when. so i need to somehow figure out what else i need to get myself... i guess i should just get the basics... very confused.

the room is... eh. still need to get dh to haul crap into the attic. still need to transfer the rest of my sewing stuff into the guest room. gotta clean it, and install a light fixture. i work on it every day, but it's slow-going since i can't shlep heavy stuff myself.

then there are the many other tasks that i want to have done throughout the house... i don't think i'll ever be really ready......
post #16 of 19
Well, I kinda belong in this category.. sort of? Even though Kate is technically my second child, I didn't really get to experience true motherhood since Charlie was only here for a few days. I decided that I'd have no baby showers, since I had two of them with Charlie. I pretty much got everything I needed then. Instead we're having a "meet baby Kate" party after she arrives. The room is ready, and I'm certainly ready! I can't wait to meet my heart healthy little princess and experience the joy of motherhood for longer than a few days.
post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthangeldoula View Post
Well, I kinda belong in this category.. sort of? Even though Kate is technically my second child, I didn't really get to experience true motherhood since Charlie was only here for a few days. I decided that I'd have no baby showers, since I had two of them with Charlie. I pretty much got everything I needed then. Instead we're having a "meet baby Kate" party after she arrives. The room is ready, and I'm certainly ready! I can't wait to meet my heart healthy little princess and experience the joy of motherhood for longer than a few days.
I think you belong here as much as the rest of us...you just have a bit more experience with the birthing part!

((hugs))
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthangeldoula View Post
Well, I kinda belong in this category.. sort of? Even though Kate is technically my second child, I didn't really get to experience true motherhood since Charlie was only here for a few days. I decided that I'd have no baby showers, since I had two of them with Charlie. I pretty much got everything I needed then. Instead we're having a "meet baby Kate" party after she arrives. The room is ready, and I'm certainly ready! I can't wait to meet my heart healthy little princess and experience the joy of motherhood for longer than a few days.
Nothing to say, just
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbishop View Post
I think you belong here as much as the rest of us...you just have a bit more experience with the birthing part!

((hugs))
Awww thanks guys! Yeah, I do have some experience with the birthing part, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this birth will be like too! :
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: March 2009