or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting Multiples › Updates on the "I think I'm having twins" mamas?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Updates on the "I think I'm having twins" mamas?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I've read all the "I think I'm having twins" posts -- who has found out yet?
post #2 of 25
Well here's my update...I don't know anything yet

I did have an appointment with my midwife yesterday and it took some poking and prodding, but she did get a heartbeat. I'm really starting to lose it. I KNEW I implanted on my left side which is exactly where she found the heartbeat, I have been crazy in-tune with my body. Well, I'm still feeling a very strong twin vibe.

My midwife said my uterus is where it is supposed to be, but here's my beef. She was so lightly pressing on my super flabby belly, honestly I don't know how she found my uterus to begin with. So, I'm not totally convinced she found the top of my uterus. I trust her, I really do, but I swear to God I have felt flutterings down and to the left of my belly button and also down lower toward my pubic bone...of course I don't tell anyone this because I know they won't believe me. I just feel like I feel a lot more going on quite a bit higher than she was thinking my uterus went. I want to get an ultrasound on Friday, but I feel like I did hear the heartbeat and to get an ultrasound right now is just not a good reason.

I am almost 12 weeks, would an hcg test say anything at this point? Is there a more clear distinction between twin and singleton pregnancies with hcg at 12 weeks?

sarah
post #3 of 25
I emailed my m/w yesterday and told her to go ahead and order me the u/s, since I'm making myself crazy.

But, I'm assuming I won't get in until next week, so I'll definitely post and let you all know then!

Sadie
post #4 of 25
mamatoday: I don't think an hcg test would tell you much at this point. No matter what you get, there's too much room for interpretation. Only an ultrasound will really tell you for sure. This is the perfect time to go for a 12-13 week NT scan if you wanted to do that-- which is typically on a high-res scanner-- if you wanted to know for sure.

Good luck, Sadie!
post #5 of 25
it's also normally in time to find out if shared placenta/ sacs more easily.
post #6 of 25
what's an NT scan, is that the same as an ultrasound?

sarah
post #7 of 25
The NT scan is an ultrasound where they measure the nuchal fold-- the skin behind the baby's neck-- if the fold is over a certain size, that is a sign that the baby may have Down's Syndrome, or two other trisomies. It's usually combined with a blood test that looks at HCG levels and protein levels and a few other things. It's not definite-- it doesn't catch all cases, and it also catches a fair number of false positives. But it gives you a general odds of this problem. If it's going to be done, it's between 11 and 13 weeks. It used to be recommended for mothers over age 35, but now the official recommendation is to offer it to all mothers regardless of age. I was ambivalent on the actual diagnostic parts of the exam-- especially because with twins the blood test part can be misleading. But it was a chance to get a very nice ultrasound (they're usually done at a perinatologist's office or at a hospital ultrasound), and I know that it really helped my husband to connect with the pregnancy much more when he could see the babies-- they looked like real babies at that point (albeit alien babies). They also checked on the location of the placentas at that time and did general measurements of the baby.
post #8 of 25
Mamatoady, when the placenta takes over around 10-11 weeks, HCG starts to drop dramatically, so a Beta HCG test won't tell you anything informative at this point.

But an u/s probably will!

I got mine scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Another week of wondering sounds excruciating, but I'll be glad to get in and see what's going on in there!

Good luck! Keep us posted! I'll do the same.

Sadie
post #9 of 25
I know I think I'm going to have my doctor add the OB ultrasound onto my gall bladder u/s set for friday. I wasn't going to, but I'm not waiting until 16 or possibly 20 weeks to know.

Sarah
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
Mamatoady, when the placenta takes over around 10-11 weeks, HCG starts to drop dramatically, so a Beta HCG test won't tell you anything informative at this point.

But an u/s probably will!

I got mine scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Another week of wondering sounds excruciating, but I'll be glad to get in and see what's going on in there!

Good luck! Keep us posted! I'll do the same.

Sadie
Did you post in your DDC to tell them your u/s date?
post #11 of 25
No I haven't... I didn't make the appt until this afternoon (I didn't plan on doing one at all).

But thanks for the reminder! I'll do that right now.

Sadie
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
No I haven't... I didn't make the appt until this afternoon (I didn't plan on doing one at all).

But thanks for the reminder! I'll do that right now.

Sadie
Just so you know, I'm not stalking you. I stalk the "I think I'm having twins" threads b/c I have twinvy.
post #13 of 25
No worries! I actually like when threads are more like a conversation... as opposed to posting something and waiting a week for someone to post back. Especially when its something that's weighing on your mind, you know?!

I'm really thankful for all the input!

Sadie
post #14 of 25
Quote:
I have felt flutterings down and to the left of my belly button and also down lower toward my pubic bone...of course I don't tell anyone this because I know they won't believe me.
i have felt flutterings left hand side and just a little lower on the right side,and I have a felt a tight knot where I believe they are both implanted,yesterday I felt they had moved up a little.so I know what you mean to feel like that and not tell anyone cos they may not beieve you.I believe you .
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytobe View Post
I believe you .
thank you!!!!!:
sarah
post #16 of 25
I was one who never updated. My symptoms were:
* movement at 9 wks
* fundal height of 18-19 cm at 10 wks (plus my previous pregnancy had I lost a twin @ 5/6 wks so I knew I could "twin")

Had an us @ 11 wks and it was 1 very normal sized baby. My uterus was huge but strangely stopped growing until I grew into it and has been normally growing since.
post #17 of 25
Bumping. Sadie!! Update!!
post #18 of 25
Well mamas, thank you so much for all your support, information and advice!

It turns out I'm just another paranoid mama using up your precious time. I'm only having one baby. I was so convinced there were two that I'm actually mourning the second baby that never was.

The other surprise though, is that this baby is a girl. I was SURE it was a boy. So sure infact, that I went out 2 weeks ago and bought a bunch of boy clothes. Needless to say, I'm in shock for more than one reason!

But, she's healthy and looks perfect! So, after I get over the shock of her being a girl, and somehow convince dd that she's a girl and not a boy (dd's ADAMANT that the baby is a boy), I'll be happy.

Sadie
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie Lake View Post
Well mamas, thank you so much for all your support, information and advice!

It turns out I'm just another paranoid mama using up your precious time. I'm only having one baby. I was so convinced there were two that I'm actually mourning the second baby that never was.

The other surprise though, is that this baby is a girl. I was SURE it was a boy. So sure infact, that I went out 2 weeks ago and bought a bunch of boy clothes. Needless to say, I'm in shock for more than one reason!

But, she's healthy and looks perfect! So, after I get over the shock of her being a girl, and somehow convince dd that she's a girl and not a boy (dd's ADAMANT that the baby is a boy), I'll be happy.

Sadie
I'm sorry. I understand the "mourning the baby that never was". I've been there.
Congrats on your healthy baby girl! :
post #20 of 25
Sadie but also congrats on the healthy baby girl!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting Multiples
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Parenting Multiples › Updates on the "I think I'm having twins" mamas?