At my last birth, my water broke (like, huge, dramatic waterfall gush, luckily at home!) two days before my EDD and I was starting to get desperate and uncomfortable when more than 24 hours passed with no contractions. So I got some suggestions from my sympathetic midwife and here's what I did; between all of these things, something
* Making arrangements I was comfortable with for my two older kids and sending them away for the night, something that had been stressing me out since I wasn't sure where they would go during the birth
* Going out to dinner at a quiet place with my husband, just the two of us (this rarely happens)
* Going back home to a full-body massage in a quiet, relaxing atmosphere and having a drink, then having another (my midwife had assured me this would be just fine)!
* Orgasm and nipple stimulation (heh!)
* Acupressure on the "spleen 6" point
* Homeopathic gelsemium, caulophyllum (blue cohosh, I think), and cimicifuga (black cohosh?) in two doses -- I was in obvious active labor within about an hour and 15 minutes into starting this and the baby was born seven hours later
I would have sent my husband out for castor oil if I hadn't gone into labor by the next day, I think, but really wanted to avoid the raging diarrhea that can often accompany taking it, if at all possible! But at that point I would have been really desperate.
I wouldn't feel comfortable taking all these measures were I not clearly right on the verge of being 100% ready, but being basically homebound and sitting on a towel because of random gushes of amniotic fluid and being SO close to being done with being nine months pregnant was making me a desperate woman!
So now that I know what worked for me last time I have my bag of tricks ready.