or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Unassisted Childbirth › Waiting for contractions Update Post #11... Need Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Waiting for contractions Update Post #11... Need Help

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I havn't posted on here very much this pregnancy, though I signed in much earlier on.

I just wanted to share that my planned UC baby will be joining us soon. My membranes ruptured this morning out of the blue and now I'm just waiting for my body to kick start into having contractions as well

I could use all of the good thoughts and energy anyone could send our way. This pregnancy has been so completely different from my first. I am hoping for a labour that is the same... my first was a hospital induction at 43 weeks that left me with a lot of trauma to work through. I am manifesting a peaceful beautiful homebirth today (or in the next few I suppose ).

I'll post an update later
post #2 of 27
I am sending good birthing vibes your way, wishing you a wonderful labor and birth!
post #3 of 27
Well, it's just a matter of time now. With my UC, my membranes ruptured, but my labor didn't start for over a whole day after the rupture, and it was on my encouragement. Just wanted to remind you that this is a possibility. Of course, it is usually fine to continue to be pregnant after ROM, but it was my comfort zone to get things moving. My birth was amazing, but definitely not what I planned for. Your birth will be just how it needs to be, trust in your body and your baby.

Also it could have just been non-amniotic fluids, like pee. Or it may be a hind leak that will reseal. Just options to consider, especially since you are only 37 weeks.
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the good thoughts... and for the reminder

I am pretty confident it was my membranes... as I am wearing a pad and still having gushes as I move around I am not sure if I want to do anything to get labour moving, I am not sure what I would try even if I did because nipple stimulating doesn't seem to do much for me because I've been nursing a toddler this whole pregnancy (who nurses like a newborn still if I let him ). As for herbs etc I don't think I want to do anything more invasive like that and I am definitely not up for castor oil...

Still hoping it picks up on its own soon though
post #5 of 27
Yay congrats! My friend had that this last year, 37weeks water breaks, then nothing for hours, then a very fast labor and homebirth. I'm sure things will get moving for you soon too!!
post #6 of 27
how exciting! keep us posted if you can!!!

:::::::
post #7 of 27
Thinking of you and your sweet baby! I hope you have a beautiful, healing birth with your family.
post #8 of 27
Just saw this thread! Hoping for a wonderful birth for you mama - or...congrats if baby is already here!
post #9 of 27
How exciting! Yep, follow your intuition and just let things be! I can't wait to hear how things go for you!
post #10 of 27
Hoping you already have your babe in your arms! :
post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 
Update... I worry my UC and even a homebirth is going out the window

Cross posted from Birth Professionals:

OK... here is the deal. I need somebody (or multiple somebodys) with a clear head to help me process.

Background: First birth I had preterm labour that was stopped repeatedly and then in the end he ended up being induced. I had a hind leak of my membranes at 40 weeks which resealed itself and nothing came of it. I was induced at 43 weeks exactly because my asthma was flaring and it was decided that after a course of prednisone it was better to get the baby out at that stage. Cervadil started my contractions right away and they were regular right from the start. I took forever to get from 1 (where I started) to 4. Membranes spontaneously ruptured after 35 hours of labour, sparing me pitocin (which was supposed to be started a few hours later). Fluid clear. I started throwing up over and over and couldn't stop when someone mentioned the word c-section. After a couple of hours I had an epidural because I was presented with that as my only chance at a vaginal birth (since I wasn't dilating any further). I got that, stopped throwing up but went into another world basically. Finally got to 4, and then dilated the rest in about an hour. Pushed for 20 minutes and he was out. Healthy, APGAR 9 and 9, fluid was clear throughout despite being 43 weeks etc. I hemmoraged after my placenta was pulled on by the cord. Not fun, but he was at least fine.

So I have been planning a homebirth this whole pregnancy. Expected to go past my due date, go into labour, water break somewhere in there, deliver healthy baby at home. I have done a ton of work and realize a lot of why I reacted to my first birth the way I did (shutting down/throwing up etc) was psychological related to sexual assult I have been through.

Fast forward... 37 weeks, 6 days... and my membranes ruptured and no contractions . Today I saw my midwife and she wants me to consult tonight or tomorrow morning with an OB. She is fine with me refusing an induction up until Thursday.

She gave me a rundown of the hospital staff who is on... and I am so so torn on what to do.

Today the OB is very laidback. He will be the most receptive to me saying no to an induction but also the most receptive to my birthplan for position for delivering, having my baby with me etc etc

Tomorrow and Thursday the OBs are less easygoing.

I feel like a trapped animal. I do NOT want to be in the hospital at all. I wish I had a crystal ball though because if I knew I wasn't gonig to go into labour on my own by then I would probably get induced today because of the OB on call. I am afraid to wait the three days and then end up getting induced anyway and having them want to do full workup on my baby because of prolonged ruptured membranes etc. I also know that there are risks the longer we go so that is on my mind (though I am GBS negative so that is at least a plus).

The hospital in my town is very non-progressive. I could go to the hospital I delivered my son at if it came to that, but it would mean being without my support people because my midwives couldn't be there (they don't have priviledges at our local hospital either, but they could act as doulas), and my other labour support wouldn't be able to be there because of their own families and the fact it's over an hour away.

I don't want pitocin. I am considering going and getting checked tonight and if my cervix isn't doing a whole lot then going with cervadil overnight. I desperately want no epidural and it wasn't pain last time it was being out of control in the hospital so I am so torn by all of this.

Edited to add: I have tried homeopathic blue cohosh, am alternating that and homeopathic black cohosh now to try and get things moving. I have a nursing toddler, but it still isn't bringing on contractions. My midwife suggested castor oil, which I am not sure about. Walking was making things go earlier in the week but baby's head seems to be higher now instead of lower and I am not sure why that is, but the result is that walking isn't working anymore to bring anything on.

I have no idea if this makes any sense at all... if you made it this far, thank you.
post #12 of 27
[[Hugs]] to you, momma!

I think the best thing to do, although certainly difficult right now, is to try to filter out all the negative talk and scare tactics. It seems like you are scared right now, and I can certainly understand that.

But you have an amazing source of strength inside yourself. Try to take some deep breaths and relax a little bit, and then reflect on you and your baby, and nothing else.

How do you feel? What is your baby telling you? Is your baby happy and moving? Do you feel any need to get the baby out quickly? Or do you deep inside know that your baby is fine and just needs some more time?

Have you tried sex to stimulate labor (the prostaglandins in semen are the same thing they use artificially in cervadil)?

If you do go to the hospital, you should have a clear goal in mind of what you are going for and what you expect. Are you going to have them check dilation? Check to confirm your water has ruptured (has your midwife already confirmed this)? Maybe you had another leak that resealed itself and there is nothing to worry about. Are you going to allow them to do a NST? Are you going to allow an induction? If so, under what circumstances?

I would not go to the hospital without a solid plan of action. Remeber that it is your body and your baby and they cannot force you to do anything. You can turn anything down that they want to do. If you are going to go to the hospital, make sure that you have some sort of goal / outcome in mind and that you aren't just going to the hospital because you feel pressured to. If you are just going due to pressure, I don't believe you will be satisfied with the outcome.

Remember that your body and your baby know what they are doing and they are your best source of real information.
post #13 of 27
this may be out of your comfort zone, but have you considered medical mj? another possibility is taking a huge amount of goldenseal orally. it is contraindicated in pg because of inducing labor, almost immediately in some women. if anything, it will help stave off any infections. hth, keep us posted.
post #14 of 27
"I am considering going and getting checked tonight and if my cervix isn't doing a whole lot then going with cervadil overnight."

If you have any vaginal exams, you dramatically increase the chance of infection once you have ROM. I'd really think hard before doing this, because it opens up a lot of new possibilities for intervention (which might be needed once/if you do get an infection).

I wouldn't try sex, either, at least not anything involving the vagina.

You've got a tough set of choices ahead of you. Good luck!
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixafreeze View Post
"I am considering going and getting checked tonight and if my cervix isn't doing a whole lot then going with cervadil overnight."

If you have any vaginal exams, you dramatically increase the chance of infection once you have ROM. I'd really think hard before doing this, because it opens up a lot of new possibilities for intervention (which might be needed once/if you do get an infection).

I wouldn't try sex, either, at least not anything involving the vagina.

You've got a tough set of choices ahead of you. Good luck!
ita

most hcp's give a deadline of 24 hours for baby to be born if any foreign objects (vaginal exams, penis, cervadil etc.,) have been introduced into the vagina. this could limit your choices even more. i strongly suggest to hold off on all ve's etc.,. as long as possible.
post #16 of 27
i went 42 weeks and had a perfect HB. I did the castor oil, which sucked, but it did get stuff moving, I guess...b/c 4 hours after I broke down and drank it, I started contracting. Intense foot and ankle massage can be helpful or accupucture.

If you do go to the hospital, make sure to bring a strong advocate who is clear on YOUR wishes and desires. That way if you can no longer stand for yourself, someone will be there to do so.

I am sending warm, open, strong woman vibes your way.
post #17 of 27
mama, so sorry you are going thru this. Do you think you are talking to too many people? What is wrong with just leaving things alone? Like a pp poster said, what is your baby and intuition telling you? How about a sono to check amniotic fluid levels? You may be inducing really for no reason and then might end up with a preterm baby and a bad experience again. All the cohoshes, etc aren't working for a reason. Hang in there. Have faith. Go with your instincts.
post #18 of 27
Maybe this is stupid and I'm off-base, but since someone else mentioned that maybe you have once again had a leak that resealed... doesn't the fact that you feel baby's head has moved back up support that theory? Wouldn't it be more likely to be engaged, if it hadn't resealed?

Just thinking here. Are you still leaking a lot?
post #19 of 27


All I can offer is to have patience. Unless Baby is ready, no home induction is likely to work. If you are having no infection signs, I would just wait it out.
post #20 of 27
I remember reading a birth story on here (possibly UC, definitely homebirth) where the waters had broken a week before she had the baby - everything was totally fine - just keep monitoring your temperature, take vit. c., DO NOT insert anything into the vagina. Be prepared if your temp goes up to go in, but you should be fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Unassisted Childbirth
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Unassisted Childbirth › Waiting for contractions Update Post #11... Need Help