or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Mom's of Many it’s February
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mom's of Many it’s February - Page 4

post #61 of 127
Yeah, I know.
post #62 of 127
ooo, i'm happy to find this thread

i'm in the UK with six homeschooled children (well, two babies, so just 4 needing more than b'milk and peek a boo atm )

i spend around £100 a week on shopping for mine. trying to do a co op order once every month or two to stay out of the chainstores.

during my last pregnancy my eldest did sooooo much for me (dh moved out at my request and is still out of the house atm, but hoping for reconciliation at some point) and the younger ones also learnt a few tasks. it was actually a good thing that life got so hard with the pregnancy (and still is a challenge 4 months after birth) because otherwise i think they would miss out on learning some precious skills for life, kwim? i feel guilty for anything they join in/ help with, (i wasn't allowed to do stuff around the home growing up) but i'm also convinced that working together is what makes a family close and successful.

i've always unschooled and been very relaxed with my children, but now we are moving towards a lot more routine. that used to be my Bad Word but the changes are feeling good to all of us.
post #63 of 127
sigh...

We are invited to a birthday party today. From 1-4. Its for a 5 yr old, but I so dont want to go because my 3 yr old starts melting down around 12:30 (but wont take a nap) and the second half of our day is usually shot by that.

I especially dontt want to go and have to stay till 4 because thats when they decide to have cake and ALL my kids are melting down at the time its time to go. (My 5 yr old also needs a nap but refuses one.)

Sigh Sigh Sigh.

post #64 of 127
Hello MOMS- I posted a topic on my dd club thread sort of about this but not exactly and wanting to know what other MOMs think/have to say about this.

The topic- Health care providers and treating you like you are inexperienced w/pg and parenting. Ex. I had my mw appt yesterday and left feeling like I was stupid and inexperienced and that everything I brought up to help/be involved in my own care was disregarded.This isn't the first time I've experienced it or the only place- I get it often at the peds office too or at childrens' schools.

I don't know if they just don't look at the records to see that I've got plenty of experience or if it is just an attitude that lots of medical personal have or if they just look at me and since I look so young they assume I am inexperienced.

It just frustrates me that my voice goes unheard and/or is dismissed.I don't know really how to handle it either- my first instinct is to find new providers (usually after this situation happens a few times) ones that I can work with not just feel that I am being managed.Should I talk to them first or agian in some instances or look for different care?

What have you done in this circumstance?If it's happened to you.
post #65 of 127
Fairy - I find that more with just people in public - they think its my first pregnancy and assume I have no idea whats going on. LOL.

I have a question too!

What do you do about birthday partys...being invited to them...We were invited to a party that was in the afternoon the other day and I didnt even go because its such a volitile time (naptime!) to be out at a party.

I get scared to go out sometimes. LOL

Do you somehow just grin and bear it? Or have a plan of exit?

I didnt see any way to go for just a couple of hours because people seem to always drag the darn thing out where you HAVE to stay the whole 4 hours to eat cake. :
post #66 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post

I don't know if they just don't look at the records to see that I've got plenty of experience or if it is just an attitude that lots of medical personal have or if they just look at me and since I look so young they assume I am inexperienced.
Oh, it's just the attitude. Our whole society has the attitude, well, you can't know anything unless you've got a degree for it. You can't teach someone unless you're certified. You can't heal someone unless you have a degree. You can KNOW anything unless someone else taught it to you. It's part of a vast conspiracy...

If you LIKE the providers, say something. Get personal, talk about what you know, and preface it with "In my experience with my older children, I've seen.....", and suck up a bit so their egos can allow it "What do you think?" And finish up with "Thanks for the info, I'll think about it." It's annoying, but very rare to find a professional who can let ego go and be open to what other's know.
post #67 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

How do you all handle birthdays? We celebrate birthdays, baptismal anniversaries and name days (patron saints feast days) so it seems like I am always baking a cake for something. Which sort of sucks now that I'm on Weight Watchers, LOL! Anyone have a healthy cake recipe?
I'm quoting myself, because I'd love to know how you all handle celebrations.
post #68 of 127
The days before birthdays take me right back to how each of them arrived.

We are preparing for 9 little people coming to a birthday party tomorrow as dd1 will be 6 at 8.12am. This time 8 years ago I was already in labour, excitedly expecting the arrival of a baby before midnight without too much trouble. 3rd time, what could be hard? I was still unaware that my waters were going to break with her head wedged on my hip not anywhere near my cervix and I'd end up transferring to hospital for the worst night of labour I've had.

None of my children are baptised and at least one doesn't have a saint's name so we only do birthdays and fortunately the boys are past having lots of friends for parties and creating havoc. Now they just want their favourite dinner and a cake at home. So far with the girls we are still at the cake and dancing stage without too many expectations. I bake a tried and tested one layer square cake which can be cut and eaten easily but iced with crazy colours or cut into other shapes too. I just can't do amazing cakes that look like castles or fairy princesses!
post #69 of 127
We usually do small birthday celebrations at home with a few close friends and family members. A few gifts, cake and ice cream, a pinata or games or something and it's all over in a couple of hours.
post #70 of 127
Annettemarie, a boxed cake mix made with diet soda is 1/2 weightwatchers point per serving, apparently. I realise it isn't food, exactly, but if weightwatchers is like slimming world then a lot of the things that go into your mouth are likely to be chemistry not cookery. Other than that, I'd look at doing a pile of cupcakes rather than a big cake, a pile of profiteroles rather than a pile of cupcakes (even less points and a smaller serving portion) or even breaking with tradition and decreeing that baptismal anniversaries and saints days don't score cake. I do have a slimming world friendly carrot cake recipe as well.
Happy birthing day, Orangefoot! You're still my hero for getting her out at all.

Fairymom, I speak up. I'm part of the local NHS patient participation programme and heavily involved in the National Childbirth Trust, so I'm pretty sure that somewhere in my medical records is the code "careful what you say to this one, she WILL moan otherwise." I don't know what it is, but it's in there.
Transformed, I'd either go or find someone to take my kid. Most likely, at 5, I'd tell the hostess that DD would love to come but it's a bad time for the little ones, how would she feel if you didn't stay? Over here, 5 is right on the cusp of going to birthday parties by oneself.
Shukr, where are you? There's a few brits on the MoM thread at the moment.
post #71 of 127

Here with exciting news!!!

:

Looks like I'm back in the game!

We are not telling people until as late as possible, mainly because we want our kids to be the first to know and want to wait until at least 12 weeks to do that.

But I get to tell you!

I'm filled with enormous happiness, and peace. We'd been hoping since our baby was a year but after 18 months and a brief experience with Chlomid and infertility medicine, we are finally expecting again.

I feel so lucky.
post #72 of 127
Flapjack, thanks for the tip! I'm going to make one of those for myself and my MIL tomorrow, and buy a regular cake for everyone else.

Congrats, suiek! That's so exciting!

I'm nak right now, but really would like to pick some of your brains about our housing situation. Three bedrooms, two grown ups, 1 girl, 3 boys.
post #73 of 127
quick Q: what qualifies one to be a MoM? i have 4 sons.
post #74 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post
:

Looks like I'm back in the game!

We are not telling people until as late as possible, mainly because we want our kids to be the first to know and want to wait until at least 12 weeks to do that.

But I get to tell you!

I'm filled with enormous happiness, and peace. We'd been hoping since our baby was a year but after 18 months and a brief experience with Chlomid and infertility medicine, we are finally expecting again.

I feel so lucky.
Congratulations! A new little life is always something to celebrate! ::

Your secret is safe here...on the net...for the world to see
post #75 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
quick Q: what qualifies one to be a MoM? i have 4 sons.
I have always thought of "Many" to be four or more. But then again, I think there are some here with less.

I say, if you feel like you can contribute, or learn something, or even just enjoy being here, you fit in.
post #76 of 127
I have 4 and wondered if I qualified, too It sure feels like it when we are trying to get out of the house or try to do something with other families.

And if you count DH and my two furbabies ( who are just as doted on as my other kids) I have seven, LOL!

I do have a question, though. I actually WANT more children most of the time, but DH is just flabbergasted at the idea. Anyone else with a DH who isn't happy with the idea of family expansion?
post #77 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziek View Post
:

Looks like I'm back in the game!

We are not telling people until as late as possible, mainly because we want our kids to be the first to know and want to wait until at least 12 weeks to do that.

But I get to tell you!

I'm filled with enormous happiness, and peace. We'd been hoping since our baby was a year but after 18 months and a brief experience with Chlomid and infertility medicine, we are finally expecting again.

I feel so lucky.

: Congrats, Mama!! Blessings for a happy, healthy 9 mos!
post #78 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'm nak right now, but really would like to pick some of your brains about our housing situation. Three bedrooms, two grown ups, 1 girl, 3 boys.
What kind of situation are you wondering about, exactly?

It depends a lot on the ages of the children, and the distinction of ages between the girl and boys.

I have no problem with boys and girls sharing rooms up till they get older. Like about 8 years old. (That seems to be the age that they start to want privacy.)

We have been in a three bedroom house and have a "boy's room", a "girl's room", and "parent's room". The youngest, up till they wean, sleeps in our room.

Even now we have a smaller house, though technically we have more than three bedrooms, one is an office and one is storage. So we really only utilize three for bedrooms (as divided above).

When the children were younger the boys and girls shared depending on ages. But now, my girls are the olders and my boys (except my oldest boy who comes before my youngest girl) are the youngers.

It goes girl, girl, boy, girl, boy, boy, boy.
post #79 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I have always thought of "Many" to be four or more. But then again, I think there are some here with less.

I say, if you feel like you can contribute, or learn something, or even just enjoy being here, you fit in.
thanks. i guess i will join then, though most days i dont have much advice for families with "many" kids...mine are so spread out...18, 10 (almost 11), 3 and 4 months right now. im pretty sure we are done (like 99.99999%).
post #80 of 127
I am so excited to see this thread!

We are going from 3 to 5 come August.

Are there any other young MOM? Dh and I are 23
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Mom's of Many it’s February