or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Febraury 2009 Book Challenge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Febraury 2009 Book Challenge - Page 2

post #21 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
#3 Greywalker by Kat Richardson

I can't remember why I got this book. Maybe cause it's set in Seattle? Local author? Kick-ass female protagonist?

Brief Synopsis: Harper Blaine is just your run of the mill PI until she dies and comes back with the ability to see the Grey.

It was enjoyable. It's the first in a series, and I'm getting the rest from the library as well.
kbond - I have had this book on my shelf for like 2 years....I think I stole it from my mom, intending to read it right away and then never got around to it. I'm going to have to dust it off, now. Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm loving reading stuff set in Seattle right now. Have you read Greg Bear's newest book? I started it, and the beginning is all in Seattle anyway. Also, the Succubus Blues series by Richelle Mead is set in Seattle and pretty fun (and they have them at the library).
post #22 of 244
My goal is 52 books this year Also, I want to read the Bible EVERYDAY!

I have a habit of starting 12 books and finishing none, so this is all about sticking to it for me. :

So far in February, I read the "McGuffey's Eclectic Primer". Does that count?

Also reading "Unconditional Parenting" and "Otto and the Silver Hand" right now.

Bible reading so far: Gen 1,2 Prov 2, Psalm 33

Read today the MHA Homeschooling Handbook : Hey....it is a start!
post #23 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
kbond - I have had this book on my shelf for like 2 years....I think I stole it from my mom, intending to read it right away and then never got around to it. I'm going to have to dust it off, now. Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm loving reading stuff set in Seattle right now. Have you read Greg Bear's newest book? I started it, and the beginning is all in Seattle anyway. Also, the Succubus Blues series by Richelle Mead is set in Seattle and pretty fun (and they have them at the library).
I miss Seattle. Hopefully we'll get "close" and I'll be accepted into the M.A. program at WWU in Bellingham.
post #24 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
What books is that?
Tatiana De Rosnay who wrote Sarah's Key.
post #25 of 244
i get SO MANY GREAT BOOKS off of these threads whenever i check them out, but have only ever actually posted a handful of times in '07 & '08. so, instead of a book goal, i'm going to make it my goal to remember to regulary post in & follow the 2009 book challenge threads.

so far this year & currently reading:

1. Hundred Dollar Holiday: The Case For A More Joyful Christmas (Bill McKibben)
2. Waiting (Ha Jin)
3. The Undomestic Goddess (Sophie Kinsella)
4. Sisterella At The Well: What Happens When a Woman's Well Runs Dry (Kelly Lynn Spencer)
5. Trinidad Noir (Jeanne Mason)
6. The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life (Twyla Tharp)


ETA: duh...subbing might help
post #26 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamama View Post
6. The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life (Twyla Tharp)[/B][/SIZE]
i love this book! i am a procrastinator, and especially in post-baby, when creating milk seemed like plenty, this book was full of great reminders. i think it should be part of everyone's post-partum care.
post #27 of 244
I have started book #6 - Twilight. I'm in !

#1 I Dreamed of Africa
#2 The Birth House
#3 Once on this Island
#4 The Shepard's Granddaughter
#5 Natural Health After Birth
post #28 of 244
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance By President Barack Obama

I admit I read this because of the phenomena that seems to surround our new president. President Obama is a powerful speaker; he's also a great writer. I enjoyed reading about his life and his struggle with identity. He has a way of writing honestly without sounding like he wants pity. A good read regardless of where your political views fall.
post #29 of 244
Thread Starter 
#6 Collected Poems 1909-1962
by T.S. Eliot

My review of Collected Poems can be found HERE


#1 The King in Yellow, #2 Ghost Story, #3 Twilight (Audio), #4 Nice Work, #5 The Poetry of Robert Frost: The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged, #6 Collected Poems 1909-1962 (T.S. Eliot)
post #30 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer76 View Post
Tatiana De Rosnay who wrote Sarah's Key.
Thanks.
post #31 of 244
For February these are the ones I have going:
6. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
7. Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Anderson
8. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott


January
1. Jane Eyre
2. The Alchemist
3. New Moon
4. Eclipse
5. Brave New World
post #32 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuaqueen327 View Post
For February these are the ones I have going:
6. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
7. Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Anderson
8. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
I LOVED Bird by Bird, and I read it about 8 years ago. It was so good! I still remember the feeling. It's one of my favorite non-fiction, instructional books. So easy to read, and very inspiring if you want to write.
post #33 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
Enchanted April by Elizabeth Von Arbim

So--our library is having its first Adult Reading Program. We have to read 8 books, each in a category like Historical Fiction, a Classic, a Pulitzer Prize Winner, etc. Some of my friends are doing it too so for the category Read the Book--Watch the Movie, we decided to read the same book and then we'll all watch the movie together and we chose this one. And it was so GOOD! I could not put it down.

Four women, all strangers to each other and all unhappy in some way, spend a month in a castle in Italy and find happiness. I loved this one so much. I just ordered the other two written by this author.
*I* want an Adult Reading Program, where's *my* Adult Reading Program? :

post #34 of 244
You should suggest it -- its apparently the new thing. Tell them to 'get with it'! For prizes we'll get book bags with coupons and 3 local wineries donated baskets and they'll pick winners for those . . . is that cool or what?
post #35 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
I LOVED Bird by Bird, and I read it about 8 years ago. It was so good! I still remember the feeling. It's one of my favorite non-fiction, instructional books. So easy to read, and very inspiring if you want to write.
Oh, I loved Bird by Bird too. I just love Anne Lamott in general My favorite is the KFKD radio station she talks about in Bird by Bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander View Post
*I* want an Adult Reading Program, where's *my* Adult Reading Program? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
You should suggest it -- its apparently the new thing. Tell them to 'get with it'! For prizes we'll get book bags with coupons and 3 local wineries donated baskets and they'll pick winners for those . . . is that cool or what?
You should totally suggest one Bufomander! We have one like yours Cathe at our library. It happens in the summer the same time as the childrens reading program, we get entered for a drawing for a canvas book bag for every 3 reviews we turn in. And I think the first 3 reviews gets you a $5 Starbucks card. And I *think* they make a pamphlet of selected reviews in the fall? Good stuff. I loved the summer reading program when I was a kid. The fun feeling of checking out a huge stack of books is a nice memory.
post #36 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontmama View Post
We have one like yours Cathe at our library. It happens in the summer the same time as the childrens reading program, we get entered for a drawing for a canvas book bag for every 3 reviews we turn in. And I think the first 3 reviews gets you a $5 Starbucks card. And I *think* they make a pamphlet of selected reviews in the fall? Good stuff.
When we lived in Seattle our local library (the Magnolia branch) did that and they put all the reviews in a binder that sat on a table at the front as you walked in. DW and I turned in all kinds of reviews. (I just printed off the ones I wrote for my blog and turned those in! )
post #37 of 244
My goal is to read a variety and to keep track of what I read.

January
1. Watchmen
2. Norwegian Wood
3. Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood
4. Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting

February
5. The Tales of Beedle the Bard
post #38 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
When we lived in Seattle our local library (the Magnolia branch) did that and they put all the reviews in a binder that sat on a table at the front as you walked in. DW and I turned in all kinds of reviews. (I just printed off the ones I wrote for my blog and turned those in! )
Wasn't it fun? I just love doing that every summer.


Have any of you read World Without End yet? I can't recall seeing it here on the thread, but sometimes I skim :

I'm reading it for my book club and I am LOVING it! I can't wait to read Pillars of the Earth now. And I had no idea that man had written so many other books too. Are they all this good?
post #39 of 244
1. T is For Tresspass - Sue Grafton completed 1/3/09
2. Marley and Me - John Grogan completed 1/13/09
3. A Thousand Splendid Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini completed 1/22/09
4. Harvesting the Heart - Jodi Picoult completed 2/2/09 (Liked the story. It wasn't like her more recent "twist at the end" books. )

I have declared 2009 as the year of "You haven't read that yet?"

So...I have started the Twilight series. A questions to the series readers, Should I devour them all in a row, or should I read one, move on to another book, read a Twilight book, move on to a different book, etc...?

(I posted this in January also..just wanted to break into February and maybe get some opinions on my "series reading" question)
post #40 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by basmom View Post
So...I have started the Twilight series. A questions to the series readers, Should I devour them all in a row, or should I read one, move on to another book, read a Twilight book, move on to a different book, etc...?

(I posted this in January also..just wanted to break into February and maybe get some opinions on my "series reading" question)
Good question as I think I will finish book 1 tonight and have the other 3 here and awaiting reading already.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Books, Music, and Media
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Febraury 2009 Book Challenge