or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › Feb '08 - is it really Feb '09 already?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Feb '08 - is it really Feb '09 already? - Page 2

post #21 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Senara has discovered the things that gross people out are funny. She's found when she sticks her finger in her nose it makes people get all crazy with the "eww yucky!" statements and it's even more funny because she can pull out a boogie which makes them gross out even more. Also, she's quite amused by farts.
Hilarious. Bear is not a gross-out kid, but I've known quite a few in my days. In fact just last week I was visiting with a nearly-three who had a fistful of rubber/plastic bugs and who was picking his nose **with his tongue**. All I could do was laugh, because he reminded me forcibly of his mother at that age. : (I used to babysit for his mother. Yes, I'm getting old. ) I'm rather enjoying the quiet, observational nature of my little air baby Bear. I can relate to him. He does laugh at farts, though. It's hard not to when your three older siblings think that stinky farts are the hieght of hilarity.
post #22 of 343
Intentionally comic babes? You've got some sophisticates out there. All we can manage is one twin hiding and giggling while the other twin looks for her, finds her and giggles too. Those are the best moments I have as a mom.

NOS - Oh supply issues! I'm an oatmeal addict myself, now.

My girls are one today!!! They had some authentic New Orleans King Cake courtesy of my sister to celebrate over the weekend. And tonight, after they are having a good birthday sleep, my DH and I will split a bottle of champagne and celebrate our own accomplishments over the year. And remember where we were last year.

Since I can't figure out how to post a pic (they are adorable, and more so by the day), here's a link to my birth story. Times gone by!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=925854
post #23 of 343
Gena, happy birthday to Belle and Izzy!

River's a comedian too. And a troublemaker. He used his sisters hairbrush to brush the dog today, and the screams! I'm surprised you didn't hear them over there.

Teeny, that's just gross. Cute, but disgusting.
post #24 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post

It's so wierd because I see SO much of my temper style in her. Wish she was more like her daddy, that dude never gets angry.
UGH! How irritating! I'm glad 'Nara's a little spitfire like her mama. Life is tough and I've BTDT with the whole codependency thing and lost years of my life and at least one of my kids to "Sit down, shut up, be good, do what you're told, and don't make people angry."

Teeny, it sounds like you're doing a wonderful job to help her deal with her feelings and learn socially acceptable ways of dealing with them, communicating them, and standing up for her rights. I'm right there with you when it comes to temper issues, so i hope i don't sound condescending when i say that i think that learning to help our kids will be the best thing we could do to help ourselves.
post #25 of 343
Looks like I've missed a lot. We had a go with the stomach flu, and I got out of the habit of coming here to read. Happy birthday to the babies that have already turned one. I can't believe it!

I'm on facebook as well, and tend to keep up with that better than MDC. I have already found a number of you there.

Well, Twyla's cranky with me being on the computer, but I wanted to mention that I went to a birth yesterday where the baby was born in the caul. It was so cool! Kay, gotta run.
post #26 of 343
I'm a Facebook newbie, but pretty recognizable on Raina's friends' list. PM me for my IRL name if you can't find me and want to.

I've had that account absolutely forever but didn't get into it until a bunch of my friends I hadn't been in contact with for 30 years started a group for our school about a week ago. I'm kind of emotional about reconnecting with them, so please just pardon the drama.

Facebook reminds me of a John Barth novel: all the different little subplots of your life come together and merge into a coherant whole and you can see the big picture.
post #27 of 343
so many birthdays. :
NOS, Terran is just GORGEOUS! He's just going to have all the girls a-twitter over him. My goodness his coloring and hair and eye color is just PERFECT!

Thrush sucks. I had thrush pretty much constantly with Sara. She weaned at 22months and it was the first time we'd gone more than a month wi thout yeast issues. It was a labor of love nursing that girl.

Gracie is SUCH a climber. Stairs, trying to get on the couch, even tried chin-ups on the tv today(it's one of those old GIANT console tv's that weighs more than I do, so no fear, she couldn't topple it. Heck, I can't even move the thing). She will climb anything and everything she can get to. There are very very few things that are out of her reach anymore. And catfood has become a delicacy. Seems she eats more of it than the poor fuzzy boy does.
She's talking quite a bit now. She had a language-splosion in the last few weeks. She says mama, dadda(usually in response to the phone ringing ), all done( ahhh duh), up, and ucky. And she recognizes a lot more. It's been amazing the change in her. She seems like a toddler now. And now that she is RUNNING around the house instead of walking and climbing up and down on everything, it's hard to see her being a baby anymore. She just figured out how to go down 2 stairs tonight.
Thank goodness she's still nursing. At least for a few minutes while she nurses to sleep I can pretend she's still a baby.
post #28 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
Facebook reminds me of a John Barth novel: all the different little subplots of your life come together and merge into a coherant whole and you can see the big picture.
You have an oddly-compartmentalized Friend Wheel too, huh? It's harder to see now because I have more friends, but I've got a whole bunch of friends who aren't connected to anyone (though admittedly some of them ought to be), as well as several small groups which are linked internally but with only a few random offshoots externally. For example, Helen is in the middle of the Feb '08 bunch, with random offshoots to two other DDC to which I belonged (Nov/Dec '02 and May/June '04). If not for those, the Feb '08 bunch would be entirely independant of any of my other groups of friends. The family/people I went to school with groups overlap significantly; They're the big messy clot at the bottom... but there are random offshoots with them as well. I find examining the connections a fun way to kill time. Today, though, I have no time to kill. I came to say : Happy Birthday to Belle and Izzy :, and to : over the fact that I'm on a diet which thinks it's a perfectly reasonable thing to eat something which has 50 kc / serving... all of which come from fat. I walked through the bakery aisle and I wasn't even tempted to buy cupcakes. : Nice.
post #29 of 343
Happy Birthday to B and I!!! Gena, I just read your birth story...absolutely amazing....you are a strong, amazing mama! What a powerful story. Thanks so much for posting the link!!

Maybe I should get on the no-sugar bandwagon...I have been craving it like it is air...can't be a good thing And how do you know if you have thrush in your nipples? I have gotten random nipple pains lately, once a couple of months ago, and once last week, where its not external at all, but the initial latch on and milk flow are like daggers of pain...then once nursing is up and going, things are ok, unless she tugs or pulls on the nipple...but there is nothing external to see that "hurts"...is this thrush, perhaps?

Terran is wonderful! Thanks for the pics!!

I did something today that I haven't done in 6 months...I pumped milk! This weekend, Sat night to be exact, is the night that I have to be away from Molly. We decided that we aren't going to start any kind of night weaning, we aren't remotely ready yet, and neither is she. So, as of now, our plan is that she is just going to have a sh***y night with dad that night. I will leave loads of pumped milk for her, and DH will co-sleep with her and offer her milk and cuddles all night home till he brings her to me early in the morning where the event is. I can't think of any better plan, still, so that is what we are doing. I "know" she'll be just fine, I still feel frustrated cosmically that these events are conflicting, and I don't have a better solution. Argh...we'll see what happens. I have a sneaking suspicion that she will "punish" me when this is all over...it will be the first time that I haven't been there for her night-wakings, and I think she will be p***ed!!

Applecore: cool story about the birth! I would love to see that once!

Justmama: Grace sounds so "grown up"...in the toddler sense, of course! Molly is still pretty much all baby here.

I am also on Facebook...I'll have to start looking for some of you other mamas...sounds like I should just start on Rynna's page and search her groups!
post #30 of 343
Also been meaning to post a for little Hope.
post #31 of 343
a candle for hope, i remember when she was born also.

and, lazlo was born in the caul. curtis watched him coming out and he said it was like a magician when they moved it away. i always make sure to listen when he says he has a "feeling" about something or makes a prediction. he doesn't seem talented in that direction but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
when i pulled this up linnaea stopped nursing asnd sat up and said "dee dah?" and kept trying to crawl onto the computer desk and touch the screen. what a cutie he is! and your cat and dd are pretty cute too. my house is an awful lot like your house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
My girls are one today!!! They had some authentic New Orleans King Cake courtesy of my sister to celebrate over the weekend. And tonight, after they are having a good birthday sleep, my DH and I will split a bottle of champagne and celebrate our own accomplishments over the year. And remember where we were last year.
happy birthday girls!! i'm going to read your birth story after the lo go to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
I'm on facebook as well, and tend to keep up with that better than MDC. I have already found a number of you there.
okay, i guess i'll give in and open one of those darn accounts.\

linnaea's new baby trick is to bring me a book, look up at me and say "bah" "bah" "bah" until i sit down with her and look through the pages. i've got a reader

also, today she wanted to go outside so she goes by the door, turns around, takes two steps towards me lifts her arm and says "meh". so i go over to her, she takes my finger and pulls me towards the door. once we get there she pushes my hand up towards the knob. and looks at me.

i can't believe i thought she was going to be dumb because i had five ultrasounds and she didn't roll over until 5 months.

more personals later, i'm busy shoe shopping. um, let me know if you want to know the brands and discounts : just consider me your friendly local neighborhood pusher for nice quality baby goods at decent prices...
post #32 of 343
oh, one more thing. remember my neighbor? the ones that are moving? today the mom got taken off my the ambulance and then the care flight helicopter. the little girl came over and was so out of touch with her feelings it was really eerie, like crying because her mommy ahd to go to the hospital and the next second saying that she wanted to do the puzzle too.

it's so weird, she just wanders over and the parents refuse to talk to me. but i guess i'm okay to baby sit?

anyway, i heard she's tried to commit suicide like 3 or 4 times before so i'm hoping that wasn't what it was about. poor kiddos.
post #33 of 343
eww. that's so sad Carrie about your neighbor kid

You wouldn't happen to know of any good deals on some Robeez would ya?

NOS: I meant to tell you that this time last year I was worried about lil Ember too. I honestly didn't think she would make it. Wowza has she grown.
post #34 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
i can't believe i thought she was going to be dumb because i had five ultrasounds and she didn't roll over until 5 months.
I could have assuaged that fear in a hurry. I had at least four ultrasounds with Bean, and he's scary. Not quite so many with BooBah, who is scary too, but I was in a car accident with her and with Bella so I actually had *full body x-rays* with each of them. : I had a ton of ultrasounds with Bear because they were concerned that he was anemic, and he seems to be following in the footsteps of his siblings.

This is one of the things that, in all honesty, irritates me about MDC. People here can be very self-righteous in their hatred of allopathic medicine, and they're often *at least* as irrational as the "mainstream" they rant and rail against. I could go on... but I've got to get the boys up and hit the road.

Please think happy thoughts at little Bear this morning. :
post #35 of 343
Carrie, Raina, Alex was born in the caul and he definitely has moments sometimes. In particular, he is freakily good at timewarping, visualising and manifesting. I was allegedly born in the caul as well, but I have my suspicions on that one- how, exactly, does a child born by elective caesarean get born with the membranes intact?

I hope your neighbour's OK, Carrie.

Slgt, I've been keeping Hope in my thoughts. I'm worrying about the newborn of another MDCer I love a lot, and it's so hard to think of newborns dying or struggling How are you doing? Are you OK?

eta: forgot to say, Carrie, I had 23 ultrasounds with Alex and he's doing OK. It's not a sign of anything, honest.
post #36 of 343
1 year- it's hard to believe. We celebrated with a small party on Sunday. Eli loved his cake- a Very Hungry Catapiller cake. Turned out really cute, considering I could see it in my head but wasn't sure how to create it. I'll post pictures in the next day or so. Eli is starting to run away from you now when he has something he shouldn't or he knows you want to change a diaper. It's cute.

Bad things happen in three right?? First the car is totalled, then my daycare quits. Friday I found out my ob has left the clinic. Sounds like it was rather abrupt. A co worker just had surgery with him a couple weeks ago, saw him Wednesday and he said he would see her two weeks for a check up. Then he was just gone. He's been there for a long time and was well liked, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm scheduled to see one of the other ob's there for my next appointment, but I'm still stunned about the whole deal.

Happy birthday to all the babies I have missed-River I know for sure!!!
post #37 of 343
Hi!

I kind of joined the Feb. '08 group a while ago, but disappeared, now I'm back!

Baby C (Calloway) was born 2/20/08. I'm in major denial that he's about to turn one ... And up to my ears in birthday party preparation. He's not walking (cruising like a champ), but I think we're close. Minimal vocabulary, but he looooves to babble!

And here are a few pictures so you can get to know my smiley little man ...
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...er/newnest.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...alloway3-1.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...lacer/11mo.jpg
post #38 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena 22 View Post
Intentionally comic babes? You've got some sophisticates out there. All we can manage is one twin hiding and giggling while the other twin looks for her, finds her and giggles too. Those are the best moments I have as a mom.

NOS - Oh supply issues! I'm an oatmeal addict myself, now.

My girls are one today!!! They had some authentic New Orleans King Cake courtesy of my sister to celebrate over the weekend. And tonight, after they are having a good birthday sleep, my DH and I will split a bottle of champagne and celebrate our own accomplishments over the year. And remember where we were last year.

Since I can't figure out how to post a pic (they are adorable, and more so by the day), here's a link to my birth story. Times gone by!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=925854
OH that twin hide and seek sounds adorable. Happy Birthday Belle and Izzy! What an amazing birth story, momma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
River's a comedian too. And a troublemaker. He used his sisters hairbrush to brush the dog today, and the screams! I'm surprised you didn't hear them over there.

Teeny, that's just gross. Cute, but disgusting.
Heh, oh the fun begins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
UGH! How irritating! I'm glad 'Nara's a little spitfire like her mama. Life is tough and I've BTDT with the whole codependency thing and lost years of my life and at least one of my kids to "Sit down, shut up, be good, do what you're told, and don't make people angry."

Teeny, it sounds like you're doing a wonderful job to help her deal with her feelings and learn socially acceptable ways of dealing with them, communicating them, and standing up for her rights. I'm right there with you when it comes to temper issues, so i hope i don't sound condescending when i say that i think that learning to help our kids will be the best thing we could do to help ourselves.
Naw, you don't sound condescending. I just hope I do as good as job that you make me sound like I am! Those pictures of Terran are absolutely sweet. What a cutie he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobemama View Post
Maybe I should get on the no-sugar bandwagon...I have been craving it like it is air...can't be a good thing And how do you know if you have thrush in your nipples? I have gotten random nipple pains lately, once a couple of months ago, and once last week, where its not external at all, but the initial latch on and milk flow are like daggers of pain...then once nursing is up and going, things are ok, unless she tugs or pulls on the nipple...but there is nothing external to see that "hurts"...is this thrush, perhaps?
I'm sorry to say that sounds like thrush to me. The pain, the cravings. Sorry it got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBump View Post
1 year- it's hard to believe. We celebrated with a small party on Sunday. Eli loved his cake- a Very Hungry Catapiller cake. Turned out really cute, considering I could see it in my head but wasn't sure how to create it. I'll post pictures in the next day or so. Eli is starting to run away from you now when he has something he shouldn't or he knows you want to change a diaper. It's cute.

Bad things happen in three right?? First the car is totalled, then my daycare quits. Friday I found out my ob has left the clinic. Sounds like it was rather abrupt. A co worker just had surgery with him a couple weeks ago, saw him Wednesday and he said he would see her two weeks for a check up. Then he was just gone. He's been there for a long time and was well liked, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm scheduled to see one of the other ob's there for my next appointment, but I'm still stunned about the whole deal.

Happy birthday to all the babies I have missed-River I know for sure!!!
The very hungry caterpillar cake! That sounds amazing! You must be a marvel. I hope you end up finding an OB that works out for you. That's got to be a little unnerving.


Justmama, isn't it amazing that that tiny little baby is now too hard to keep up with!

: to Bear. We're pullin' for you kiddo!

Oh Carrie, did no one even think to find someone to look out for your little neighbor girl? no dad, extended family? Well at least she does have you.

Hiya ThisLove! It's amazing how fast time goes, isn't it? Holy moley! Welcome back!

DD was stirring something mightly last night, switching from one side to another nursing for over an hour. She finally woke up burning up last night, so we stripped her down and got her (and me) some water. She seems in good spirits, she was laughing and splashign water, and wouldn't go back to sleep for a while, so that's a good sign. She's got one tooth that's been working on breaking through for weeks it seems (the other incisor on top), so maybe it's that. But boy she nursed so much that I've already pumped once when I first got to work about an hour and a half ago and am feeling the need to pump again. Amazing how she can modify the supply so quickly!

I hope I didn't forget anyone. to all and an extra to anyone I missed.
post #39 of 343
Welcome back thislove!!

eilonwyHappy thoughts coming your way! :
post #40 of 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I could have assuaged that fear in a hurry. I had at least four ultrasounds with Bean, and he's scary. Not quite so many with BooBah, who is scary too, but I was in a car accident with her and with Bella so I actually had *full body x-rays* with each of them. : I had a ton of ultrasounds with Bear because they were concerned that he was anemic, and he seems to be following in the footsteps of his siblings.

This is one of the things that, in all honesty, irritates me about MDC. People here can be very self-righteous in their hatred of allopathic medicine, and they're often *at least* as irrational as the "mainstream" they rant and rail against. I could go on... but I've got to get the boys up and hit the road.

Please think happy thoughts at little Bear this morning. :
You actually did a lot to calm me down about my "stupid" little boy who still doesn't walk and to help me appreciate his intelligence and common sense. My other kids were very advanced in gross motor milestones and i was a younger parent who fell into the trap of competitiveness and "younger is better".

Homeschooling is my "triggery" subject on MDC because i'm jealous and i never in a million years would have thought it would end the way it did for me.

I am thinking good thoughts for Bear, as i always do even after posting a humongous list of personals for everybody EXCEPT Bear because the road you are walking with him is just so difficult that i can't think of anything to say other than "You're so brave" or "i don't know how you do it" and somebody else already said that.

/dork
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › Feb '08 - is it really Feb '09 already?