or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Alaska and Hawaii › Ongoing Alaska Chat new February
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ongoing Alaska Chat new February

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
Anyone else waiting for ReDoubt to blow already.. UGHH.. The suspense is killing me.
post #2 of 71
Yep, I'm checking several times a day.

2009-02-02 03:14:48
A high intensity burst of volcanic tremor occurred from about 2:44 through 2:50 AST this morning at Redoubt. The tremor episode appears to have ended for now. There was no eruption associated with this tremor.

AVO continues to observe potential activity with seismic, satellite and radar data. The volcano has not erupted.

Clear weather views from the web camera show nothing but darkness so far this morning.

The Aviation Color Code remains at ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level remains at WATCH.
http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php
post #3 of 71
BTW Fairbanks mamas the Enchanted Forest Toy Store (next to the Bakery) will be reopened for all your toy buying business this Wed (Feb 4th) :

Maybe i have been the only one jonesing for a toy fix but I thought i would let you all know.

On a related note BlueBerry Baby just got in a wooden kitchen that looks fantastic, they should be taking orders shortly.
post #4 of 71
Happy February!
post #5 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
BTW Fairbanks mamas the Enchanted Forest Toy Store (next to the Bakery) will be reopened for all your toy buying business this Wed (Feb 4th) :

Maybe i have been the only one jonesing for a toy fix but I thought i would let you all know.

On a related note BlueBerry Baby just got in a wooden kitchen that looks fantastic, they should be taking orders shortly.
We saw the kitchen at Blueberry, and it's gorgeous! We also have been highly anticipating the reopening of Enchanted Forest; we'll be going there this Friday!

I'm also waiting on Redoubt to blow already.

And I'm waiting for this bun to finish baking! 37.5 weeks along, and we're eager to meet our little girl!
post #6 of 71
Anyone else given up on Redoubt? Actually seems to be backing down now.

Hey, though, winter's back! The trails and the skies are just gorgeous today. YEA:
post #7 of 71
I'm kind of wishing for a big snowfall -- a good 10-12 inches or so, I think.
post #8 of 71
Sheesh, just drove home in a total white-out. Looks like 10" at once! Think it'll be several up high, at least. Wowza

And, yeah, Redoubt tonight? Everyone's buzzing again...
post #9 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Sheesh, just drove home in a total white-out. Looks like 10" at once! Think it'll be several up high, at least. Wowza

And, yeah, Redoubt tonight? Everyone's buzzing again...
Yesterday afternoon I thought we were having an earthquake during class, and then later I read that redoubt had been acting up.. wow am I perceptive!
post #10 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Anyone else given up on Redoubt? Actually seems to be backing down now.
Yeah, I wish it would blow already I would rather it didn't, but if it is going to lets get it over with already
post #11 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Sheesh, just drove home in a total white-out. Looks like 10" at once! Think it'll be several up high, at least. Wowza

And, yeah, Redoubt tonight? Everyone's buzzing again...

Ohhh lovely lovely snow. Of course, not if you are trying to drive in it. Then it's crap hahahaha.
post #12 of 71
Thread Starter 
ok, I want to talk about consumerism in AK..

Anyone want to chat?

After a lot of debate, I decided to ask for a high end purse as my next gift from dp.. I had seen the PBS special about how knockoffs feed child labor and even terrorists, so this was something I wanted to do- buy one quality handbag that would last a LONG time that had good company policies..

After doing some research I decided to get a Coach (there are many companies out there that seemed to fit my criteria, but I wanted to try the bag ON for fit, so I was looking locally).. and Coach and Nordstrom carry them.. I found a style that fit well and I started calling around to consignment shops (I would REALLY have rather bought used rather than new.. but still..)..

Would you believe that some shops in Anchorage have D&G? Jimmy Choo? When the heck did THAT happen? I have SUCH a hard time picturing an Alaskan woman walking around with D&G on her arm and Jimmy Choo on her feet.. really.. maybe I'm old fashioned, but I am an Eddie Bauer kind of girl.. wow.. when did Anchorage become couture? I mean, I always new that Nordstrom carried some high end names, but I have a hard time putting everything I saw on Nordys..

(BTW I ended up buying a new Sabrina at the Coach store.. I got a great discount with a coupon and I had trouble finding a 12 inch drop on the handle length that I needed with some of the other styles..)

To add to the conversation even further.. if you wanted to buy as locally/local owned as possible, where would you get the things that meet your basic needs?

Gas for my vehicle? (no idea)
I could probably outfit my entire family off of consignment shops and thrift stores, but if I wanted to buy clothing new? Junior Towne? Where for women's/men's?
Baby stuff- Sugar and Spice (plan on shopping there for the new babe anyway, whenever we decide to make that happen.. )
butcher- Mr. Prime Beef
Bakery- Charlie's? (or bake my own I guess) Is G. Harvest locally owned? Franchise?
Grocery- New Segaya (shop there a lot anyway, so..)
banking- AK USA

Other ideas? And how do franchises fit in this picture? Cold Stone is locally owned but I believe it is a franchise, so?? I would REALLY like my money to be spent as locally as possible, so to me that seems like the mom and pop shops, but I am not sure how franchises work, if a percent goes back to corporate or not?

I went to Dos Manos on N Lights once, lots of cool handmade items.. but the political signs I saw in there made me want to back out the door and RUN.. (not trying to break rules here and get political, just saying that that particular store made me feel uncomfortable/unwelcome)..

Thoughts? Recommendations?
post #13 of 71
Here's local quality
http://snosmart.com/

or

nomaralaska.com

or

http://southanchoragefarmersmarket.c...etter/2008/09/
for Rise & Shine Bakery
post #14 of 71
I don't know. We like to support local businesses as much as possible as well, but it is often hard to do. And being the the Valley instead of Anchorage makes a difference. Now, some chain stores (such as Great Harvest, Cold Stone, and McDonald's, for instance) might have some locally owned stores, but there's got to be something going back to the main corporation. I think it is similar to sub-contracting. There are a lot of things I end up getting online from WAHM's because I would rather support another mom than a big store. And the sad thing is that even with local stores it is hard to find things made in the US.
post #15 of 71
I agree. DH and I have made a verbal agreement that we will not eat at any chain restaurants if we can help it. But boy is it hard when the taco bell craving hits! LOL

And when Target is having 50% off all clearance items as well ($2 for a $20 shirt!)...................Sigh........
It's so hard to do the "right" thing all the time.

But the more we get out there and support local businesses the better off we all are I say!

Franchise...... well I dont know much but DH used to work for Mr. Rooter back in Montana. They paid into the franchise to get started and also pay like $5000 a month to keep the name and be able to use all the copy-righted materials. They also must follow all the company rules and policies. That is all I know.

I shop at the commissary and wish they carried local milk. I love seeing that cute "alaska grown" lable on the jug! LOL
We buy only Alaska grown carrots and potatoes from the grocery store so I know that helps. I would frequent the farmers markets more if they were bigger and had more of a variety. I guess this summer I will have to explore them all a bit more. They are so scattered about.

what about Natural Pantry? That store intrigues me and I would like to shop there more and buy some of their bulk flour and stuff.

I also have fallen in love with Alaska Mill and Feed, they are pretty cool. They do make their own dog food, treats and animal feed, plus the Arctic Melt is made there at their plant here in Anchorage.
I hear they have an awesome plant and garden section in the summer! The staff there is totally awesome and the more hardworking and friendliest of any store I have been to. (I dont even work there any more and I still am bragging about them! LOL)

Buying made in the USA products is nearly impossible. what a shame.
post #16 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I agree. DH and I have made a verbal agreement that we will not eat at any chain restaurants if we can help it. But boy is it hard when the taco bell craving hits! LOL

And when Target is having 50% off all clearance items as well ($2 for a $20 shirt!)...................Sigh........
It's so hard to do the "right" thing all the time.

But the more we get out there and support local businesses the better off we all are I say!

Franchise...... well I dont know much but DH used to work for Mr. Rooter back in Montana. They paid into the franchise to get started and also pay like $5000 a month to keep the name and be able to use all the copy-righted materials. They also must follow all the company rules and policies. That is all I know.

I shop at the commissary and wish they carried local milk. I love seeing that cute "alaska grown" lable on the jug! LOL
We buy only Alaska grown carrots and potatoes from the grocery store so I know that helps. I would frequent the farmers markets more if they were bigger and had more of a variety. I guess this summer I will have to explore them all a bit more. They are so scattered about.

what about Natural Pantry? That store intrigues me and I would like to shop there more and buy some of their bulk flour and stuff.

I also have fallen in love with Alaska Mill and Feed, they are pretty cool. They do make their own dog food, treats and animal feed, plus the Arctic Melt is made there at their plant here in Anchorage.
I hear they have an awesome plant and garden section in the summer! The staff there is totally awesome and the more hardworking and friendliest of any store I have been to. (I dont even work there any more and I still am bragging about them! LOL)

Buying made in the USA products is nearly impossible. what a shame.
We don't shop at Target, they really try to stay in midtown if possible, and that still seems pretty far out of our normal day.. but I have nothing against them really..

I DO shop at AK Mill and Feed.. they have the bird seed that we like, but I haven't gotten to the point of shopping their frequently.. again kind of out of our way..

I have shopped at Natural Pantry. I like that they sell wrapsacks, and natural remedies, but I have found some things like organic Annie mac and cheese is WAY cheaper at Fred Meyer's.. (or even New Segaya..).. so sometimes it comes down to a question of the almighty dollar.. I would love to ONLY grocery shop at NP and NS, but I don't see that happening anytime soon..

We do the farmer's markets in the summer, but they are pretty seasonal.. and yes, I don't like the "scattered about" business much either..
post #17 of 71
Ladies, I need some help. We are moving in just a few months, but my son has his 6th birthday before we head out. I am at a loss as to what to get him for a gift. I was hoping for something that he could easily play with the the truck when we drive out. Keep in mind he shares the back seat of the truck with his 2 sisters. So, anyone have any cool ideas for a 6 yr old boy? My sister has already ordered him an I Spy bag. And I was hoping to avoid books because we do sooooo much book buying already that he still has books he's not read yet.
post #18 of 71
My dds both got ipod shuffles (from grandparents) for hanukah and they have been fabulous for traveling. The each have playlists built of music and books they enjoy. We did have to swap out the ear buds because they just didn't fit, but they both like the old walkman earphones we found in a closet to replace them.
post #19 of 71
i dont know how you feel about game boy hand held games but my kids really love them and they do have some games that are slightly educational. My DD is just now 6 and she got hers for xmas at just after she turned 5. The Brain Age games are good but a bit advanced for her age. still I think there might be something out there that is "educational" for a 6 year old.
post #20 of 71
OMG OMG OMG!

Okay, so I know we all just talked about buying local and all that but I got such a deal I felt like we were stealing the stuff! Seriously!

We stopped by lowes' on Tudor and just wanted to check out the pond supplies for DH's spring project. well the had 2 big ponds on clearance for 75% off..........................
Except they were way way way cheaper then that even! OMG! We totally scored! I am almost afraid to post. Heheheheh

We bought $1000 worth of pond supplies for $27.

heheheheheheh:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Alaska and Hawaii › Ongoing Alaska Chat new February