or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › February room challenge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

February room challenge - Page 2

post #21 of 107
Our garage definitely needs help... we still have boxes and some furniture out there from our move.
post #22 of 107
I'm in. I think that I am going to hit any storage area though and not just the deep storage.

DH & I will organize ....

1) the shed
2) the carport
3) closets
  • linen
    tool/vacuum
    toy
    craft
    master
    living room
    pantry
    laundry room

4) attic

Here we go, might as well get started.
post #23 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Ok, so here are my specific goals:

In the basement
1) Organize these (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) shelves and get better containers to do it.

2) Organize these shelves (http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/) - remove all items that are not related to camping/kayaking/stunt kites. I want these shelves to be used only for out door hobby stuff.

3) Organize all the small tools and home improvement supplies into some plastic drawers that I already have (I cleaned out the stuff in the drawers last month).

4) Move stored furniture out of the way to rearrange large storage bins along west wall of the basement together.

In Office:
Deal with the office closet http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608688239541/). I've been dumping boxes from the basement in there. I really need to go through the boxes, figure out what I want to keep and then sell or donate the rest. I am not sure whether I will get to this closet in February...it's might be my project for next month.
------

You have a walk in closet with a window in your Office ..... Oh I am so so jelous....
post #24 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post
------

You have a walk in closet with a window in your Office ..... Oh I am so so jelous....
Before you get too excited, I should tell you that it's our only semi-large closet (we have 3 closets in our house and two are ity-bity). There are many problems with this closet: 1) no lights, 2) too narrow (only 3 feet wide - the picture makes it look huge), and 3) the ceiling slopes, so you can't hang a rod for clothes. It's pretty useless, but I've gotta make due with what I've got.
post #25 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Before you get too excited, I should tell you that it's our only semi-large closet (we have 3 closets in our house and two are ity-bity). There are many problems with this closet: 1) no lights, 2) too narrow (only 3 feet wide - the picture makes it look huge), and 3) the ceiling slopes, so you can't hang a rod for clothes. It's pretty useless, but I've gotta make due with what I've got.

my dream home (which is purely in my head) .. has a walk in office closet
post #26 of 107
I'm working on the storage closets in our house, as we have no basement/attic/garage.

So far I've gone through the bathroom storage (blogged here) and I'm working on the linen closet, hall/craft closet, and closed living room shelving this week as well.

It's like reverse nesting around here - I'm feeling the need to declutter with a 5 month old baby. Why couldn't I have done this while pregnant so I didn't have to do it while wearing her?
post #27 of 107
I'm in for the garage. It's freezing but I'll just bundle up and do it! DH does his woodworking in there, so there is sawdust everywhere...it's on every surface. How do I even start to clean that?

I sweep weekly so we don't track stuff into the house, but it hasn't been touched since late October otherwise.

I'll get started tomorrow!
post #28 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post
I'm in for the garage. It's freezing but I'll just bundle up and do it! DH does his woodworking in there, so there is sawdust everywhere...it's on every surface. How do I even start to clean that?

I sweep weekly so we don't track stuff into the house, but it hasn't been touched since late October otherwise.

I'll get started tomorrow!

the shop-vac is your friend! my dh also has a woodshop in our garage (and one in the basement) so i don't even dare touch it. lol! i figure me trying to "organize" his workspace is like him rearranging my kitchen for me! i'd kill him! lol! but seriously, our shop-vac will pick up every bit of sawdust.
post #29 of 107
Ahh, the shop vac...love it when it's working, curse it when it explodes all over the place! It seriously shoots stuff out all over the place. Time for a new one, maybe I'll head out to Home Depot this morning.

Your DH's woodworking shop in the basement - how do you prevent sawdust from getting into the vents? We would love to have a little spot in the basement for woodworking, but I told DH he'd have to put tarps up everywhere and some kind of ventiliation system.

He would love a shop like Norm Abram - but who wouldn't!
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post
Ahh, the shop vac...love it when it's working, curse it when it explodes all over the place! It seriously shoots stuff out all over the place. Time for a new one, maybe I'll head out to Home Depot this morning.
Ours has the same problem when the filter comes out of place on the inside...What a nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom17 View Post
He would love a shop like Norm Abram - but who wouldn't!
No kidding!
post #31 of 107
Anybody working on their projects today? I am. Check out my siggy either the room challenge link, or my blog, I posted a little blurb there on what I've been doing, not much but it's a start.

Shop vacs... they make bags for them, I'm sure there are all different grades/quality/how fine of particles they won't let spew... using one of those really helps with the dust. It does add to the cost of using the vac and also more waste for the environment, but it sure saves our lungs, especially our little guy's who is very prone to respiratory problems. Might want to check them out and see if it would be worth it to you.

Some of my hubby's saws have a spot to attach a little dust collector bags (keeps the mess down, but not the dust) or you can hook a shop vac direct to them, that does help. And no he doesn't have anything remotely set up like Norm's shop!
post #32 of 107
I stopped at Walmart : (I've got a very limited budget for this project) this morning to buy some containers. That's all I've accomplished today...but at least it's a start. I hope to get plugging away at this this weekend!
post #33 of 107
Thread Starter 
I don't think I will be buying containers until the end- I always buy too many or not enough or the wrong size so I think I will sort through everything first and then determine what I need.
post #34 of 107
i need some motivation! i feell like i burnt myself out last month..but i have soo much to do.
post #35 of 107
Does laying in bed,with napping kids,and thinking about it count?Cause that's what I did yesterday.

I'm trying to get a second wind right now but we just got home from eating a big lunch and then taking a walk in the forest.Now I want to nap but my husband is home and hanging out with our daughter so now would be a good time to get up to the attic.
post #36 of 107
Hmmmm... I really need to think this one through... LOL We have an attic, but there is literally not one single item in it. We've only been up there for home improvement projects. It is not easily accessible nor a fun place! We have no garage and no basement. I participated in the closet challenge back in the end of December. I did DD's closet, which has stayed looking and working well, the linen closet, which also still looks great, the hall/coat closet, which tends to only get messy during our warm seasons, and our only storage closet, which is still in terrific shape and even still has empty spaces.

That leaves:

~ Master bedroom closet
~ Office closet, which was half finished during the closet challenge
~ Shed

Any one of these will inevitably lead to a BIG project. Oh, I am SCARED!!!!!! Our master bedroom closet is simply LARGE and always makes a HUGE mess when I do it all at once. <shudder at the thought> Our family office closet will lead to working on the whole office, which is in a major state of disarray right now. The shed itself isn't such a big deal, but it will inevitably lead to doing all the "cool" season garden work and will lead me into the "extra" room disaster. :

I could approach this from a different perspective and consider the "extra" room as a storage area since we have pretty much been using it as such for the last few years during home improvements projects. It is truly a DISASTER, IMO, and is the only room I have actually been closing the door when people stop by, etc.

Okay, this has been therapeutic writing it all out. Thanks for indulging me. I am going to dive into the DISASTER!!! I am going to be brave and photograph it tonight before I can back out. LOL
post #37 of 107
: Its so cold in my garage I've been bringing up boxes to go through one at a time. I will have to deal with little by little hopefully the weather will improve by the time we go on vacation, so I can open up the garage door and fill up the car! Slowly but surley it will get done.
post #38 of 107
How is everyone doing? The sunny and warm(er) weather this weekend has got me very motivated to work on stuff around the house. I reorganized the camping gear shelves and re-boxed some items on the east wall shelving. Unfortunately, the boxes I purchased are too few and too small for everything, but at least it is a start. I might have to go with some cardboard boxes (which I was trying to phase out) only because I don't think they make plastic containers in the right dimension for what I need.

I sent DH out to get a paint roller...I'm going to get side-tracked with some painting upstairs while the weather is nice and I can open windows...

Keep with it everyone!
post #39 of 107
I photographed the disaster last night and again today (better lighting). I'll download them later. DH & I emptied out all the painting supplies into the kitchen and all the sewing supplies into the living room. DH even went through the entire house searching out ALL the sewing supplies. ACK! The living room looks like a fabric store exploded...

Ironically, what has inspired me to start this today is the rainy, chilly weather here.
post #40 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
How is everyone doing? The sunny and warm(er) weather this weekend has got me very motivated to work on stuff around the house. I reorganized the camping gear shelves and re-boxed some items on the east wall shelving. Unfortunately, the boxes I purchased are too few and too small for everything, but at least it is a start. I might have to go with some cardboard boxes (which I was trying to phase out) only because I don't think they make plastic containers in the right dimension for what I need.

I sent DH out to get a paint roller...I'm going to get side-tracked with some painting upstairs while the weather is nice and I can open windows...

Keep with it everyone!

i WISH i was motivated by this nicer weather! unfortunately we are still "recovering" from our kitchen remodel and this weather just makes us want to be out and about rather than stuck in the house doing more work! lol! tonight my kids are with their dad and dh and i picked up frozen pizzas, sodas, and girl scout cookie ice cream (thin mint and samoa) to settle in for "design time saturday night" on hgtv! we are clearly slacking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › February room challenge