or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Public role models, marijuana and our children
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Public role models, marijuana and our children - Page 6

post #101 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
: :

you know, to anyone who thinks marijuana is dangerous: does it help put it into perspective to realize that no one, in the history of time, before or after prohibition has ever died from 'over-dosing' on pot. Yet, look at the number of deaths from medications such as Tylenol, which many parents feel no shame giving to their teething kid.

.
bolding mine.

or how many times you hear of alcohol poisoning, otc drug overdose, prescription drug overdose.

people give their kids oragel, benadryl, motrin, tylenol.

benadryl can cause apnea- oragel can cause heart problems, motrin- stomach ulcers, tylenol- complete liver failure.

people give these things every 4-6 hours around the clocks for days!

i can. not. understand the rage at smoking pot.

not for this country of "you got a pill for this ailment?"
post #102 of 181
I do consider Phelps a role model. In the role of a swimmer, he is certainly a model, yes?

As far as other types of models, I'd like to think that my daughter will look closer to home.

I am very much in favor of the legalization of pot. I'd much rather take that than naproxen or aspirin when my arthritis is killing me and much rather take it than phenergan when nausea strikes. That said, I would like for my daughter to wait until she is an adult, with, hopefully, a good head on her shoulders, to avail herself, should she want to.

And, nope, it's definitely not a "performance enhancing drug."
post #103 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahma View Post
i can. not. understand the rage at smoking pot.

not for this country of "you got a pill for this ailment?"
and that's just it! Because their is a pill for everything, we've been brainwashed to thinking marijuana is evil and dangerous. Think of the money big pharma would lose if we could just grow some herb and use it to help with anxiety, depression, pain, migraines, etc.,
post #104 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redifer View Post

There are many misconceptions about weed, and about the people who use it. I would like to take this time to mention that those misconceptions are there for a reason: they have been deliberately and shamlessly promoted by those "behind the curtain".

There are very few stereotypical, often propaganda-related, concepts that are tolerated on MDC. Racism and classism, just to name two, would never be tolerated here, because we know well the dangers of close-minded thinking. The same applies here. True, non-biased education is in order to fully understand the subject of mj use. To get that, one must first clear their mind of all other pre-formed notions of MJ use and users, which is a very difficult feat. But, once you commit to it, and open your mind to the idea that MJ is an herb, which can be used in many different ways, and the real reasons it was made illegal... well, it's enlightening, and scary when you consider the people who govern this country can (and have) do whatever suits THEIR best interest and not the people's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
K's Mama, your post sounds like something straight out of the DARE program. It's obvious you are not very well versed in the benefits and effects of marijuana use. Fine, I don't expect everyone to be an expert.

But when you call it a poison and act holier than thou, it just comes off as ignorant. You yourself admit you are not well read on this subject, and obviously many of us here (that have researched it in depth) disagree with you.

Why not open your mind a bit? No one is saying you need to go puff on a joint tomorrow. We are just saying that if you were educated on the subject, you would probably not see it as a big deal AT ALL. Because it's NOT. Plain and simple.

And how on earth you came to the assumption that we think alcohol is beneficial is beyond me, I must have missed that post. Alcohol IS a poision, and while I'm not giving up my occasional glass of red wine, I'm also one of the first to say it is very harmful to your body in excess.
and I just wanted to quote the above, because they are worth repeating
post #105 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
and that's just it! Because their is a pill for everything, we've been brainwashed to thinking marijuana is evil and dangerous. Think of the money big pharma would lose if we could just grow some herb and use it to help with anxiety, depression, pain, migraines, etc.,

And I guess that's where I'm being misunderstood on this thread, or maybe I'm not good at communicating my point. Because really, what you say here I agree with ... the mindset of this country (and probably most Westernized countries) is that there IS a pill for everying. Or a drug, of some kind. And I don't believe that's a good frame of mind to have becuase it is very limiting to my natural ability to heal. But its not because I'm an enemy of pot or an enemy of "big pharma".

I don't think marijuana is evil; and I never stated that in this thread. I just don't see a reason for myself to research the benefits (as many have said I need to do before having an opinion), because its not something I'd take/use (I have never said I've never tried pot, although, its also been assumed on this thread that I'm some kind of across the board abolishionist who's never known the virtues of pot so can't possibly have an opinion, which is ridiculous. I don't think you have to have personal experience either way in order to formulate an opinion about something). Like I wouldn't have a drink to relax. I don't need drugs of any kind, herbal or otherwise, to relax. I'm not a fan of drugs to fix problems either. Not that I don't understand the NEED for them sometimes (again, my point was taken out of context in this thread, that I was somehow saying drugs, marijuana included, should NEVER be used and that people should die instead of get better with drugs), of course there is need, in some cases, for some kind of drug use.

Personally, I do not use drugs, I don't like the way drugs or other chemicals feel in my body, I don't like what they do to my body, I wouldn't want my kids to use them, I do consider drugs poisons of a sort (okay folks, thanks for capitalizing on semantics, y'all might as well have said I was equating marijuana with arsenic for the amount of times you picked the word poison out of my post - frankly, I was talking more about the fact that I wouldn't inhale smoke, period, because of the damage it does to your body - and YES I understand there are other ways to injest pot, for those of you who feel I'm completely unversed in MJ, we don't need an entire other post about how you don't need to smoke it to use it), because they alter your state of mind & the ability of your body & brain to act in harmony with each other & with the earth, and I prefer to live as naturally as I can (and of course, I have used herbs & other drugs in medicinal ways, as most all people have, because like I said, sometimes there is need for medicine, but I choose to limit my exposure to things which effect me in negative ways - like this thread, haha). And to the natural part... yes, I understand MJ is a plant, (like rosemary as someone suggested I was being hyppocritical if I gave my children rosemary, but would eschew pot), the difference is that when I flavor a meal with rosemary, the amt. of the herb used isn't enough to have an effect on anyone's state of mind or abilities. It's a flavoring. It's not a mind or mood altering substance. And because I (can everyone see I'm talking about ME) would not choose to alter my state of mind with a drug, that certainly does color my opinion about drugs in general.

I apologize if I offended anyone with MY feelings on drugs, and what I do with my life & how I influence my family in natural ways. I do feel a bit ganged up on in this thread, and one poster went way over the line of appropriateness. My intention as always was to give my opinion, as it is with everyone on these sites... we just give our opinions within the context of our own experience. Sometimes that experience doesn't jive with everyone elses. And sometimes the way things come out on paper isn't the way they were intended. Again, I'm sorry for any offense, it wasn't intentional.
post #106 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
First, do some research. Alcohol is legal and does far more damage than pot ever has. Pot has medicinal benefits, as several other PP have mentioned.
Which is precisely why I said, in a previous post on this thread, "I believe alcohol is far more deserving of being illegal than marijuana is."

But everyone seems to be ignoring that post & jumping to the conclusion that because I don't think drug use should be lauded, that I am in favor of criminalizing marijuana.

post #107 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
Which is precisely why I said, in a previous post on this thread, "I believe alcohol is far more deserving of being illegal than marijuana is."

But everyone seems to be ignoring that post & jumping to the conclusion that because I don't think drug use should be lauded, that I am in favor of criminalizing marijuana.

Gotcha. Your last post makes that a lot more clear.

And I agree it would make more sense to change the laws.

Can you imagine if there were pot bars? You'd never get people out of those bar stools and it would be impossible to turn tables so you could make a few bucks. Tabs would be small because people would order one round and then sit forever.

Of course, there would be hardly any fights.
post #108 of 181
Ks Mom, I think I'm understanding you a bit more - I had read your earlier posts one way but it seems I wasn't getting you.
post #109 of 181
Ks Mama, sorry if you felt ganged up on. I think you should be able to express your opinion, definitely, just know there are a lot of people who take things personally, on either side.

and, yes, thanks for clarifying your stance. I also do not feel like we should be medicating every symptom, but rather finding out the root cause of the pain/condition. I don't give my kids tylenol or what have you for fevers and my family does not ever take prescription drugs (short of abx when I had sepsis, and pain meds after my c-sections). Anyway, the thing is that some people do need to treat their health issues and it just really isn't fair that they are forced to take potentially dangerous medications when something as harmless as marijuana may be an alternative option. That's where the legality issue frustrates many; as long as you aren't voting no when it's up for legislation (and it can't be for just medicinal purposes, because we see the federal gov. stance on that overrides the law in states where it is legal) then you aren't for criminalization of marijuana. That's when I do think everyone should have educate themselves by doing some research. Whether or not they intend to ever use it or not, if they are going to show up and vote on the issue, they need to be informed.
post #110 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
That being said, I think many rules designed to keep people from doing unsafe things aren't up to par, and there are many which are missing.
For example... I believe alcohol is far more deserving of being illegal than marijuana is.
In fact, I think alcohol SHOULD be illegal... precisely because, back to your original point, "but you should really think before judging others who are fully capable of making their own decisions regarding right and wrong", and thanks for making it, there are A LOT of people who drink, who ARE NOT fully capable of making their own decisions regarding right & wrong - and Michael Phelps is one of them - as he has driven drunk in the past (and as such, I don't think his decision making regarding mind/mood altering substances should be lauded).
I apologize for misunderstanding your stance on marijuana being illegal. I took this quote to mean that you didn't think the law went far enough, and that alcohol should be illegal in addition to marijuana.

There are also a lot of people who drink who are capable of making their own decisions about right and wrong...and I see no reason why they should have those decisions made for them, simply because there are other people who can't make those decisions. I see no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to have a drink in the evening, just because my dad's a drunk. You can also be quite sure that if alcohol were illegal, I'd be annoyed, but it wouldn't be a big enough deal to me to make me break that law. My dad? My ex's best buddy? They wouldn't care at all if it were illegal - if they could find a way to get it, they would.

I think Michael Phelps's decision to drive drunk was totally unacceptable, and I'm not "lauding" his decision to use pot. I really couldn't care any less than I do if he - or anybody else - chooses to use pot. However, driving drunk and using pot are in no way the same thing. He endangered others by driving drunk. The same doesn't apply to the bong hit.

You and I have a philosophical disagreement here. You want to protect people from themselves, and I don't.

I do apologize for saying "people like you". I mistakenly thought you felt your beliefs about drugs should be legislated to apply to everyone, as that was what your post sounded like. I mistook you for one of the anti-drug zealots who'd rather watch people suffer than behave in a way they don't approve of. I'm sorry.
post #111 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I think Michael Phelps's decision to drive drunk was totally unacceptable, and I'm not "lauding" his decision to use pot. I really couldn't care any less than I do if he - or anybody else - chooses to use pot. However, driving drunk and using pot are in no way the same thing. He endangered others by driving drunk. The same doesn't apply to the bong hit.
: I didn't know he drove drunk. That does bother me.
post #112 of 181
I have never ever held out famous people as role models to my children. I hope to be my childrens best role model. When someone says because someone plays football well, they should be seen as a role model, well, it just irritates me. All they did was get good at football, that is nothing great or amazing. Famous people are just people who media made famous. We don't know them. Everyday people are the good role models. Famous people did not ask to be the role models to our children and I think we would be wrong to expect them to be, or to even want our children to hold them out as ones.
post #113 of 181
honestly, him tokin on a bong doesnt bother be one bit.
i think what he does on his own time is his business so long as he isnt hurting anyone or putting anyone in danger (the DUI really really does bother me)
i think he is an AMAZING athlete, and if he makes the choice to smoke cannabis who am i to judge him???
as for role models... i would rather my children look up to people who try to better the world instead of athletes, but thats just me
post #114 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Can you imagine if there were pot bars? You'd never get people out of those bar stools and it would be impossible to turn tables so you could make a few bucks. Tabs would be small because people would order one round and then sit forever.

Of course, there would be hardly any fights.
Naaah, the bill for nachos alone would be astronomical.
post #115 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
Naaah, the bill for nachos alone would be astronomical.
The grill would busy, busy!
post #116 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
I do feel a bit ganged up on in this thread, and one poster went way over the line of appropriateness. My intention as always was to give my opinion, as it is with everyone on these sites... we just give our opinions within the context of our own experience. Sometimes that experience doesn't jive with everyone elses. And sometimes the way things come out on paper isn't the way they were intended. Again, I'm sorry for any offense, it wasn't intentional.
Aww, now I have to wonder if I'm the inappropriate poster.

If my posts come off as harsh, it may help to know that I'm typing one handed. I'm trying to get my points out quickly. Like you said, intention is hard to gauge on the net, but I thought we were having a friendly discussion. I saw it as a chance to try and help you move past a few misconceptions. Sorry if you saw it differently.

If I'm not that poster, uhh, nevermind.
post #117 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
Naaah, the bill for nachos alone would be astronomical.

: ooh, yeah. And then they'd forget and pay several times.
post #118 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPineapple View Post
Aww, now I have to wonder if I'm the inappropriate poster.
No - it was me.
post #119 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
: ooh, yeah. And then they'd forget and pay several times.
:
post #120 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
It is absolutely not legal for medical use in most states, both due to state law and the overriding federal law that a pp mentioned. As a former cancer patient, that infuriates me.
A good friend of mine has chronic pain from back injuries and surgeries. His choices (in terms of what worked) were narcotics or marijuana. Guess which was easy to get from his doctor? Guess which he wouldn't go to jail or lose his job for? Guess which he developed a devastating addiction to that wrecked his marriage?

He went through an extremely painful withdrawal and got his life back on track, including getting his master's degree and working professionally, overseeing a program benefiting a disenfranchised population and preserving their culture. He uses marijuana now to deal with his pain, through the medical marijuana program. But of course the federal government could come in at any time and shut down his supplier. That is wrong. It's disgusting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Public role models, marijuana and our children