or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Frustrated.... help me, Nancy Drews.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frustrated.... help me, Nancy Drews. - Page 18

post #341 of 441
for anyone interested I am also reading some phenomenal things about preventing midline defects (major and minor) with case studies homeopathically. It just goes to show there are many paths to the same end. How interesting! There is one little book that is totally intriguing me right now by J Compton Burnett, MD on midline defects. It's called On the Prevention of Hare-Lip, Cleft-Palate and Other Congenital Defects
As Also of Hereditary Disease and Constitutional Taints by the Medicinal and Nutritional Treatment of the Mother During Pregnacy
post #342 of 441
double post
post #343 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Sorry, I have no clue. I *can* tell you that magnesium, along with B6 is required to open up the transsulfuration process to lower homocysteine and make glutathione and sulfate. If you take a reasonable amount of both and don't notice any difference, then that's not where you're blocked. It could be further up or further down the line.

Why can't you do bone broths?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
whoMe, because ellasmama is vegan.. (I think)

where are you all getting these B & mag etc supps that are allergen-free> (i.e. truly corn free) ?

typos, sorry nak
im only vegan cause dd doesnt tol animal proteins. i would eat grassfed humane meat if she were ok with it. we have periods where i can rotate pork and buffalo in intermittently and she seems ok. pork bone broth caused a reaction for her though, but i think it was because i cant find pasture bones.
post #344 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
for anyone interested I am also reading some phenomenal things about preventing midline defects (major and minor) with case studies homeopathically. It just goes to show there are many paths to the same end. How interesting! There is one little book that is totally intriguing me right now by J Compton Burnett, MD on midline defects. It's called On the Prevention of Hare-Lip, Cleft-Palate and Other Congenital Defects
As Also of Hereditary Disease and Constitutional Taints by the Medicinal and Nutritional Treatment of the Mother During Pregnacy
I had completely skimmed over all the tongue tie talk because I didn't think this applied to us. Do you believe this? I checked my kids teeth last night, and my 4 yo's bottom front two teeth are in that same exact V! I never noticed this before. I don't know if they came in straight and turned, or have been like this. I honestly don't think they were like this initially, but I don't know. He ALSO does not pronounce his L's and R's. Not at all.

My 9 yo's are perfectly straight.
post #345 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
How far are you from me again? If it's within an hour I'll come over for a coffee break study session.
whoa, hold on now...I'm not far from Detroit MI, how far are you all from me? Because I need some hand-holding. I am totally lost.
i guess we shoudl take that to PM
post #346 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
If this is the main issue, then it's not so much nutritional as gut bacteria. So probiotics and calcium d-glucurate might make a big difference for you.
Glucuronidation is a process by which the body naturally detoxifies itself.

Foods high in glucaric acid (a form of calcium D-glucarate) include apples, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and bean sprouts, grapefruit, lettuce, and alfalfa, grapefruit, oranges,.

http://www.jonbarron.org/baseline-he...12-16-2002.php
http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/detoxpart2.html
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2000/...t_lemix_1.html

Pat
post #347 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Glucuronidation is a process by which the body naturally detoxifies itself.

Foods high in glucaric acid (a form of calcium D-glucarate) include apples, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and bean sprouts, grapefruit, lettuce, and alfalfa, grapefruit, oranges,.

http://www.jonbarron.org/baseline-he...12-16-2002.php
http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/detoxpart2.html
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2000/...t_lemix_1.html

Pat
Glucuric acid is made by the body from glucose. I haven't come across much talking about it, so I'm guessing it's a pretty straightforward process. Then the glucuric acid binds to the toxin and the chunk is dumped back into the small intestine with the bile. You don't reabsorb the toxin, cause it's bound to glucurate.

Some bacteria make an enzyme that breaks that bond. You don't want those bacteria in your gut (hence the probiotics).

Calcium D-Glucurate stops the action of that enzyme. So even if you have the wrong bad bacteria, the bond will hold and the toxin will be excreted.

You can buy calcium d-glucurate as a supplement, and as Pat posted, it's naturally occurring in some foods.
post #348 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
My threshold for what is a reaction is also probably higher than some here. Dh questions EVERYTHING in a scientific sort of 'prove it' way. And so things that don't affect quality of life tend to slide a bit.
OK thanks whoMe. I understand the 'prove it' mentality; I have it too (maybe because I'm a scientist too... Although you'd never know it the way I'm and : with the detox pathways stuff you've been posting lately). Which by the way, I wanted to thank you so much for posting here lately and at heal thyself... I'm trying so hard to read all of it and catch up!!
post #349 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Glucuric acid is made by the body from glucose. I haven't come across much talking about it, so I'm guessing it's a pretty straightforward process. Then the glucuric acid binds to the toxin and the chunk is dumped back into the small intestine with the bile. You don't reabsorb the toxin, cause it's bound to glucurate.

Some bacteria make an enzyme that breaks that bond. You don't want those bacteria in your gut (hence the probiotics).

Calcium D-Glucurate stops the action of that enzyme. So even if you have the wrong bad bacteria, the bond will hold and the toxin will be excreted.

You can buy calcium d-glucurate as a supplement, and as Pat posted, it's naturally occurring in some foods.
So, with all these pathways, are there certain toxins dealt with by certain things? You say, "the glucuric acid binds to the toxin", is that toxins in general, or are there certain toxins excreted via certain pathways? (Sorry if this was already covered, I'm still digesting it all!)
post #350 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
whoa, hold on now...I'm not far from Detroit MI, how far are you all from me? Because I need some hand-holding. I am totally lost.
i guess we shoudl take that to PM
A couple years ago I was in Ann Arbor. Now I'm in northern Michigan.

Sorry I'm not more chatty today. Lily's got a fever and is pretty miserable. We've been nursing and snuggling a bunch today.
post #351 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
So, with all these pathways, are there certain toxins dealt with by certain things? You say, "the glucuric acid binds to the toxin", is that toxins in general, or are there certain toxins excreted via certain pathways? (Sorry if this was already covered, I'm still digesting it all!)
The short answer is that I don't know. I bet some pathways specialize in certain toxins, and maybe some pathways won't work for certain toxins. It seems like there's got to some redundancy, but I'm not sure just how much. All I can do is point you back to tuberose...
post #352 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
The short answer is that I don't know. I bet some pathways specialize in certain toxins, and maybe some pathways won't work for certain toxins. It seems like there's got to some redundancy, but I'm not sure just how much. All I can do is point you back to tuberose...
I don't have a perfect answer either, but judging from what Tuberose says, there *is* specialization and redundancy in elimination of toxins. It doesn't specify all toxins excreted by all pathways, although it does state some of the toxins which are dealt with by some of the pathways. I think I saw something on there, too, about a certain toxin causing problems with one particular pathway (not the one which was responsible for detoxing it).
post #353 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I bet some pathways specialize in certain toxins, and maybe some pathways won't work for certain toxins.
correct, and I only know this because of metals, actually. Different pathways serve different purposes and that's part of how you interpret the test. You know what won't be detoxed and what pathways are in trouble by what metals are present and what the corresponding nutrient levels are.
post #354 of 441
Thread Starter 
Ooh- I can't wait to get our hair test done! I'm really interested to see what it says for both DD and I.
post #355 of 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
where are you all getting these B & mag etc supps that are allergen-free> (i.e. truly corn free) ?
I'm using Designs for Health, but we aren't corn-sensitive. My B complex has no wheat, yeast, soy, gluten, eggs, dairy, corn, artificial colors, flavors, sugars, or preservatives. Aside from the B vitamins/folates/biotin, it has choline and trimethylglycine. Other ingredients include microcrystalline cellulose and magnesium stearate. I get it from my chiro.
post #356 of 441
Thread Starter 
Ok, I think this is where all the hair test discussions were, so I'm going to post our results here rather than starting yet another thread that I have to keep track of.

I just (like 5 minutes ago) got our Hair Elements test results back, so I'm going to post them here so you guys can help me interpret them.

DD's test: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...st-Jayden1.jpg

My test: http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t-Jessica1.jpg

I haven't even begun to research what everything means (I have the Cutler book on hold at the library)... and probably won't have much time today. But if anyone has any passing thoughts, feel free to post them!!!
post #357 of 441
Hey, your daughter's test is only the 2nd I've ever seen that doesn't indicate mercury toxicity! Not a shocker, but it's sorta cool to me. Yours meets the counting rule that a higher proportion of lactating, non-mercury-toxic moms meet, so I'd discount that and say you're fine. And that means that the rest of the minerals are more indicative of what's really going on in your bodies (I don't know much about what the minerals mean because they're very hit-or-miss with people with mercury problems).

I can look up stuff in Cutler's book, but it may be later this afternoon, I have been dozing on the couch (we've been hit hard with stomach bugs lately, really annoying) and so now the kids may actually want something like food (yuck... but they were sick over the weekend and now seem fine).
post #358 of 441
What do you look for for mercury toxicity? (Not that it'll ever matter to me since I probably won't ever get this done. )
post #359 of 441
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Hey, your daughter's test is only the 2nd I've ever seen that doesn't indicate mercury toxicity! Not a shocker, but it's sorta cool to me. Yours meets the counting rule that a higher proportion of lactating, non-mercury-toxic moms meet, so I'd discount that and say you're fine. And that means that the rest of the minerals are more indicative of what's really going on in your bodies (I don't know much about what the minerals mean because they're very hit-or-miss with people with mercury problems).

I can look up stuff in Cutler's book, but it may be later this afternoon, I have been dozing on the couch (we've been hit hard with stomach bugs lately, really annoying) and so now the kids may actually want something like food (yuck... but they were sick over the weekend and now seem fine).
Awesome!! Yeah, I just starting reading Cutler's book on Google and got as far as the first counting rule (after that, pages are missing from the preview, so I guess I have to wait for the library book...)
post #360 of 441
Oh right, counting rules. I seem to remember seeing the counting rules on a site somewhere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Frustrated.... help me, Nancy Drews.