or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › January 2009 › What did you learn this time around?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What did you learn this time around?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I'm surprised with my third pregnancy and birth that I learned as much as I did. (Or should I say, I was surprised how much I didn't know before?)

I thought I jot a couple things down in case others could benefit and would enjoy finding out what you may have learned that I need to/want to know too.

Oops...I'll return in a minute/hour/whatever my little one needs me!
post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 
This doesn't apply to everyone, but for those of you who ended up with a c-section...

Wearing a BellyBandit (support wrap) really helps limit the pain and protect the incision. It helped tremendously with pain changing positions such as during sleep the first few days especially. I'm still wearing it 2 12 weeks later during the day.

I just can't believe no one mentioned this before. This was my third c-section (although all 3 were planned HBs) and I never knew about it before. I usually had to sleep in a recliner for a few days because side-lying in bed was so painful.

I have read BellyBandits are useful to any woman post partum for support and shrinking back to normal size faster. Can't attest to that one yet.
post #3 of 11
I also learned a lot about having a C-section (this was my first). There are so many things that people don't tell you, like the ants crawling on you feeling when you get a spinal. Or how uncomfortable it is for them to push the baby out of the hole in your stomach. I would much rather push it out the other way myself.
post #4 of 11
Its harder being preggers wehen you have a 2 year old around

People aren't around as much to help after you have the second as the first though you really need MORE help then w the first

You really don't shower nearly enogh

You cherish everything more since you know how fast they grow
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr'smom View Post
This doesn't apply to everyone, but for those of you who ended up with a c-section...

Wearing a BellyBandit (support wrap) really helps limit the pain and protect the incision. It helped tremendously with pain changing positions such as during sleep the first few days especially. I'm still wearing it 2 12 weeks later during the day.

I just can't believe no one mentioned this before. This was my third c-section (although all 3 were planned HBs) and I never knew about it before. I usually had to sleep in a recliner for a few days because side-lying in bed was so painful.

I have read BellyBandits are useful to any woman post partum for support and shrinking back to normal size faster. Can't attest to that one yet.
ITA, this was my second c-section. I can't believe that no one suggested this at the first hospital that I had my c-section in, especially since it's one of the top hospitals.
post #6 of 11
I didn't like the belly bandit. I had too much trouble putting it on by myself, so I haven't used it since I got home.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmidwife View Post
I didn't like the belly bandit. I had too much trouble putting it on by myself, so I haven't used it since I got home.
Yeah, at first DH had to help. After I shrunk a bit more, I could do it myself. But you really do have to pull it tight to get the benefit.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
I also learned about gel pads for sore nipples. They're way better than lanolin. Mine are Ameda brand, but I think there are other brands too. They're expensive (about $10/pair) and last a week or less. But during the first couple of weeks they were very nice to have. I still have a pair in reserve in case I need them again.

Looks like most of what I learned was about products, huh?


Although I agree, having a second or third baby doesn't quite draw the help people offer with a first baby, even though you actually need it more.
post #9 of 11
I learned that support makes a huge difference! This was my third, but the first time I had meals dropped off, my Mom helped a ton, etc. It made a big difference in how I felt mentally and physically! JUst having the first two weeks to sit around and do little but snuggle Ana was fabulous!

I learned that I could really do a natural birth! My last two were induced for medical reasons. I really wanted a natural birth, but wonderred how I would hold up and what it would be like. All in all, it was great and I would do this again if we had any more kids! I think labor taught me to be more comfortable with myself, and to trust others for support rather than feeling like I had to know and do everything myself.

I sewed a belly band, the one with D rings. Unfortunately I didn't sew the rings on right so it won't stay tight enough. I still hope to fix it and try it out, even though it is kind of late!
post #10 of 11
I learned that I can have a birth out of water too. A little harder at times.. but possible.

Also, that you *can* put the baby to sleep on the bed and scoot away and have a moment to yourself. I don't need to watch her every moment of the day. They live even if their mother's eyes aren't on them in their sleep. (Though, as always, it's all in God's hands).

Taking a fussy baby outside (even if really cold, just bundle up) can do wonders.
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
Also, that you *can* put the baby to sleep on the bed and scoot away and have a moment to yourself. I don't need to watch her every moment of the day.

I've finally learned this too. And this is my third child. I guess it's at this point that you have to put the baby down once in a while to tend to the other kids.

She still gets carried in slings plenty. But this is my first baby--believe it or not--that I can swaddle up and lie her down awake and she'll go to sleep. Wow! It's so amazing to me. The others wouldn't even stay asleep alone if I layed them down once they were already sleeping. I almost feel guilty--like this one isn't getting as much attention.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: January 2009
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › January 2009 › What did you learn this time around?