or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Healing Birth Trauma › How do I go about bringing this up to my doc... Never completely healed after birth of my son
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I go about bringing this up to my doc... Never completely healed after birth of my son - Page 2

post #21 of 26
Originally Posted by Valrock View Post
I've been doing a little bit more research and am feeling a little more confident about bringing it up. I adored the OB practice I had my daughter with so I'm going to call Tricare and see if I can somehow be covered for a visit with them instead of going to the military clinic. I'm pretty sure I'm coming up on a routine pap here soon anyway.
Oh hugs mama. I hope you don't mind my posting, but I just wanted to add-- You can always ask the OB you like how much it would be to just see him for cash. Many time's OB's reduce their fee for paitients who just pay upfront. It may not be as much as you are thinking for that initial consult.
post #22 of 26
Here is a military moms thread:


Perhaps they can help you with your tricare issues, and one of them may be in your area.

It seems important that you refer to the "fix" you are looking for as "reconstructive surgery" and not allow anyone to refer to it as cosmetic.
post #23 of 26
I wish you the best of luck figuring out this sticky situation.

Remember that you can file ICE reports online for ANY bad and good experiences you have at any military facility (military doctor, the commissary, exchange, etc.). They will always follow up on your report and try to remedy the situation. I have filed a direct complaint about a doctor including her name and they followed up with me several times. The ICE system is done through DOD and stands for Interactive Customer Evaluation. You should be able to google it online and find it, although I still have a hard time getting to it sometimes.

Good luck in everything as you figure this all out. I know it's not easy.
post #24 of 26
I had a major tear last year when my DS came rocketing out with a nuchal hand, delayed suturing/closure, and an infection that ruined the repair...I really empathize with your frustration and sadness over what happened. After talking with my gyn, I decided to delay final repair until I am done nursing, because the healing will likely be faster and easier with normal non-breastfeeding hormone levels. But not a day goes by that I don't think about it, and I am so, so, so ready to have my "normal" anatomy back!

I would bypass your PCP if you have the option, and go straight to a Gyn that you trust, because from your description this is a surgical issue. Ask in your Tribal area if necessary, for referrals. If you think you may have trouble explaining the problem without crying, write down what you want to say about the physical problem and how it has affected you, and just hand that to your doctor. Regarding the insurance issue, surgical repair should be a covered service even under TriCare. Often, a traumatic tear will be accompanied by other anatomic changes - cystocele, rectocele, uterine prolapse - and those conditions can cause medical problems like constipation, incontinence, dyspareunia (painful intercourse). Maybe you are having symptoms related to the tear - if so, be sure to let your doctor know - it will help with getting prior authorization and insurance coverage for the surgery you need.

Oh, and that male doctor you saw is a UAV who doesn't deserve to practice medicine.
post #25 of 26
So sorry you are dealing with this I tore thru my labia into my clitoral hood and then ripped the stitches out getting onto my bed. It really bothered me and my OB fixed it 15 months later. It looks a ton better,but not perfect.I would not have been able to cope with being intimate without the surgery, having deformed labia made me feel almost sub human, it was sad. FWIW. my surgery was considered medically necessary and covered 100% by insurance.
post #26 of 26
OP - how are things with you right now? I'm feeling sort of the same way about my vagina right now. I have no perineum left either, and my repair was awful. I can't have sex - forget about it not being normal I just can't have it. My midwife isn't on my insurance anymore so I can't see her about it.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to look into reconstructive surgery, or if something else is the solution. I did a search on here and came up with this thread, so I hope you don't mind me asking if you went through with it? How was it? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share publicly, I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Healing Birth Trauma
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Healing Birth Trauma › How do I go about bringing this up to my doc... Never completely healed after birth of my son