or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › detox pathway guinea pig
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

detox pathway guinea pig - Page 2

post #21 of 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Wait, there's another variable here. In that time, I've also been healing my adrenals. My aldosterone has shown signs of going from low (salt cravings, neon yellow pee with riboflavin) to more normal (normal salt intake, no more neon pee). The kidneys use aldosterone to balance acid/base. So that's probably closely tied in as well! What causes what and what's just correlational, I have no idea
Huh. I had no idea that had to do with aldosterone.
Darn adrenals.
post #22 of 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post

I also cannot digest grains. They go straight through me. Yuck. (I eat them though, otherwise, my food bill is like $250/wk for me to feel full otherwise.) If I take enzymes, I do okay.
I am evangelical about Green Juice! :

I used to "need" an animal protein first thing in the morning or else I'd graze on carbs all day long. I didn't realize that green juice has all the amino acids to make a complete protein, AND all the essential amino acids!!

"Greens are one of the most nutritious whole food we can eat but we rarely eat enough of them. They are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids (protein). The truth is, you can get more nutrients in a pint of green smoothie than most people get in a full day of "normal" eating!' http://forum.gotgreensrevolution.com....php?topic=8.0

Just water (preferably mineral water), plus fruit, plus baby greens in a standard blender! Or use a juicer to extract the juice from dark, leafy greens (optimal). OMGosh, I feel better with green juice for breakfast. It has vitamin K, A, C, E, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, B2, calcium, potassium, B6, tryptophan, etc. http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

This is a useful post about the purpose of individual vitamins and minerals: http://www.bodybuilding-tips.net/s21/t7060.html


Pat
post #23 of 829
Now Pat, this isn't like the fermented veggies - you talk the talk. lol.

My blender is tied up with pancake mix.

Can you tell me which greens you use specifically? I am going to whole foods & would like to buy the right stuff. Do you need to blend a long time? And when you say dark leafy are you referring to kale? spinach? Swiss Chard?
post #24 of 829
And how much do you use? I just bought some kale to try out tomorrow.
post #25 of 829
As much as I would *love* to contribute in a helpful way to this thread, instead I will be asking yet another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Did you soak the lentils first? They become more digestible and have more bio-available nutrients.
Pat, the Amanda Rose place says to soak in really warm water, Nourishing Traditions says soak in whey...

It would be easier for me to soak them in an acidic medium than to keep them at 140F, but can I use goat kefir instead of whey? Will it taste really weird if I do this? DS can't digest lentils (only legume I've tried) but I wonder if he could if I soaked them first.
post #26 of 829
I can't do whey. Can I use lemon or lime?
post #27 of 829
chlobo, Nourishing Traditions says to use whey or lemon, but we can't do lemon.

ETA I better check on that to be sure
Yep, says to do lentils, water, whey OR lemon juice, and let soak for 7 hours
post #28 of 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Now Pat, this isn't like the fermented veggies - you talk the talk. lol.

My blender is tied up with pancake mix.

Can you tell me which greens you use specifically? I am going to whole foods & would like to buy the right stuff. Do you need to blend a long time? And when you say dark leafy are you referring to kale? spinach? Swiss Chard?

I eat my fermented veggies. I just don't make them myself.

I know, I'm needing another blender too, as mine is tied up with blender batter, half the time.

I use whichever greens are local, or organic and available: kale, collards, Swiss Chard, Romaine lettuce, beet greens, cucumber, celery, spinach, watercress, parsley, bock choy, wheat grass, alfalfa sprouts, dandelion, arugula, turnip greens, etc. I've tried most of those with the juicer. The thicker greens don't blend as well in the blender. They "juice" better in the juicer, imo, unless you have a Vitamix. Otherwise, you end up with liquid bits of salad. It is a bit weird. But, the baby greens are wonderful for the blender juice.

I add about one tightly packed cup of greens to about 4 cups of liquid. sorta, not really measured, just stuffed into the blender. It'll keep for a couple of days in a tightly sealed container; but looses nutrients when exposed to air. Still, tons more nutritious than anything else.

I make up a bag of carrots, apple, lemon, greens, etc. for each day. Then I just grab a bag and juice it. I wash everything just before juicing.

Blend for about a minute. Don't heat the juice with an overheated blender.


Pat
post #29 of 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
Pat, the Amanda Rose place says to soak in really warm water, Nourishing Traditions says soak in whey...

It would be easier for me to soak them in an acidic medium than to keep them at 140F, but can I use goat kefir instead of whey? Will it taste really weird if I do this? DS can't digest lentils (only legume I've tried) but I wonder if he could if I soaked them first.
A splash of ACV or whey or kefir, or even just with water. But, the acid medium/kefir is best, per my understanding. I'm not certain about lemons, but I believe that is ok.


Pat
post #30 of 829
Thread Starter 
abort, abort :

Ok, I missed something. Increasing folate will increase methylation. More methyl groups means more dopamine break down. Remember me? I'm (thinking I'm) low in dopamine. Really low. I don't want to get any lower, in fact I want to *raise* that.

Vitamin D is somehow necessary for dopamine, and I'm low in that, too.

So, after buying a bunch of lentils and cooking a huge batch of (soaked) ones to have handy in the fridge, I figured out that's why I wasn't feeling so hot. Which is about right for me - every big food commitment means completely changing my eating plan as soon as it's too late

New plan: get UVB lamp to start increasing vitamin D. Once I start to feel better, THEN start again with the folate to open the detox pathways.

And I'm realizing that if there are bad toxins messing with the behavior of the cycles, then everything will be evolving constantly and it'll be totally up in the air which pathways are doing what. That sounds super complicated, but I have faith that I'll be able to figure it out when the time comes...
post #31 of 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
abort, abort :

Ok, I missed something. Increasing folate will increase methylation. More methyl groups means more dopamine break down. Remember me? I'm (thinking I'm) low in dopamine. Really low. I don't want to get any lower, in fact I want to *raise* that.

Vitamin D is somehow necessary for dopamine, and I'm low in that, too.

So, after buying a bunch of lentils and cooking a huge batch of (soaked) ones to have handy in the fridge, I figured out that's why I wasn't feeling so hot. Which is about right for me - every big food commitment means completely changing my eating plan as soon as it's too late

New plan: get UVB lamp to start increasing vitamin D. Once I start to feel better, THEN start again with the folate to open the detox pathways.

And I'm realizing that if there are bad toxins messing with the behavior of the cycles, then everything will be evolving constantly and it'll be totally up in the air which pathways are doing what. That sounds super complicated, but I have faith that I'll be able to figure it out when the time comes...
I understand all too well, particularly just coming out the other side of HG. EVERY time I would stock up on "safe" food (food that didn't make me puke), what was "safe" would change. : I'm sorry that you have to change your plan.
OTOH, remember that everything in your body is *always* changing. I think the key to all of this will be to make sure that your body has everything it needs for *all* of the pathways to be opened, not just the ones you suspect are being "blocked"... I believe there are some byproducts of certain detox pathways which are detoxed by other pathways, so having them all open ends up becoming pretty imperative to avoiding a sudden bottleneck in another pathway.
That's my :
post #32 of 829
Thread Starter 
Yeah, the other part is that it's possible to have *too many* methyl groups. If your dopamine generation is slow (due to, say, a MTHFR 1298 mutation and CBS upregulation resulting in not much BH4 that is then used up quickly detoxing ammonia...) then too many methyl groups would be a *bad* thing. It would break down the dopamine too quickly and you'd be stuck in ADD land.

So it's all a balance. That's what's making my head : today.

In other news, dd had a huge bad poop miss. First in a loooong time. I'm not sure if I should blame the mysterious tummyache of yesterday, the 200mg of magnesium the night before, the lentils... I'm leaning towards 1) the magnesium and 2) it doesn't really matter.
post #33 of 829
Thread Starter 
Oh yeah, and the favorite foods of today were applesauce (a long time favorite and her first since december) and meat/rice/gravy bites at dinner. But not the mushrooms.
post #34 of 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
abort, abort :

Ok, I missed something. Increasing folate will increase methylation. More methyl groups means more dopamine break down. Remember me? I'm (thinking I'm) low in dopamine. Really low. I don't want to get any lower, in fact I want to *raise* that.

Link? you lost me here.


Pat
post #35 of 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
the 200mg of magnesium the night before, the lentils... I'm leaning towards 1) the magnesium and 2) it doesn't really matter.
That is a large dose for a child, imo. I take 200mg 1-2x with Natural Calm. But, I worked up to that.


Pat
post #36 of 829
I'd be careful about supplementing folate & B12, particularly if you think either of you is very sensitive to food chemicals. From what I've read people who are very sensitive are likely to have strong (and potentially negative) reactions to these nutrients, including seizures. The plantpoisons blog mentions this several times--apparently she even has trouble with foods that have high levels of folate. Extra sensitive people also are likely to have odd reactions to various foods that are low in food chemicals (like the lentils).

In our experience (FWIW since most stuff doesn't seem to do anything for us one way or another) if something made a difference it happened quickly. I only have to give DD folate a couple of times to see a difference in her amine-induced eczema, even though she was still eating the same level of amines.
post #37 of 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I'd be careful about supplementing folate & B12, particularly if you think either of you is very sensitive to food chemicals. From what I've read people who are very sensitive are likely to have strong (and potentially negative) reactions to these nutrients, including seizures. The plantpoisons blog mentions this several times--
This one? http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/


Pat
post #38 of 829
Thread Starter 
I can supplement myself with *lots* of magnesium and not notice a difference. The 200mg for dd was a one time thing - the most she'd had before that was maybe 50-100mg for constipation.

We don't seem to be that food chemical sensitive. After a (very unfair) trial, amines passed, and while we haven't tested salicylates yet, I suspect them for myself much more than dd. We didn't notice anything obvious when we started failsafe, other than the first ever appearance of eczema for dd, an a month later, her first ever ear infection and a triple whammy of getting sick for me. The eczema seems better today (though who knows) and my current theory is that failsafe dropped our folate even further, supressing methylation more. And that that caused the eczema and lack of resistance to getting sick.

Now, for mental sanity (dopamine levels), I need to raise our vit D levels before we can restart the methyl cycle. I might be making my first ever trip to the tanning salon today...
post #39 of 829
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Yeah. She has a blog there too.
post #40 of 829
Pat,

do you juice the fruit & veggies in the blender or juicer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › detox pathway guinea pig