or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Severe vitamin D deficiency in EBF baby
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Severe vitamin D deficiency in EBF baby - Page 2

post #21 of 47
Did you get tested at a Quest lab? I read a recent article that they have been having a problem with inaccurate D results. I'd get re-tested.

I've gotten sunburns (the worst ones) on cloudy, overcast days...sun comes through. So get out no matter how cloudy you feel it is, just in case.


And the D stuff is all over right now b/c they just "discovered" some big new extra need for D. I'm not a big supplement person...it's the one thing that NDs and other natural health care people and I clash on...never have been even though I'm a natural health care person (retired chiro) myself, so I don't know that I buy all of it, BUT if she's having symptoms of deficiency then you might as well find something.

I was also just reading that some sort of special sun-treated mushroom can give you 100% of the new D rda...I have no idea what sort of treatment that actually is, but it was interesting reading.
post #22 of 47
Please get here these yesterday! It's just one drop (not dropperful) a day.


Carlson Vitamin D Drops -- 2000 IU - 11 mL
by Carlson Laboratories
post #23 of 47
You also should look into getting a vitamin d lamp.
post #24 of 47
I'm a little surprised at the level of panic in these posts. I just had DD tested a few weeks ago, and she came back at 11 (granted, she's a little older, so maybe that's the concern?). My ped said that it was fine for me to supplement myself since she's still BFing, and not supplement DD directly. (And there are no liquid D's that DD can have because of her allergies.) I take 5,000IU/day. We also go for a walk every day.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I'm a little surprised at the level of panic in these posts. I just had DD tested a few weeks ago, and she came back at 11 (granted, she's a little older, so maybe that's the concern?). My ped said that it was fine for me to supplement myself since she's still BFing, and not supplement DD directly. (And there are no liquid D's that DD can have because of her allergies.) I take 5,000IU/day. We also go for a walk every day.
Vitamin d deficiency is often UNDER reacted too, and there is no panic. It's time to act. what allergies does your dd have? I've recently come across some that are very good for allergy babes.
post #26 of 47
And it is important to continue to test levels during supplementation.
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Vitamin d deficiency is often UNDER reacted too, and there is no panic. It's time to act. what allergies does your dd have? I've recently come across some that are very good for allergy babes.
It would be easier to list the things that she's NOT allergic to. But as far as the liquid D's are concerned, I have found them in a base of coconut/palm oil, sesame oil, or olive oil. She cannot tolerate any of those. Oh- she does get CLO directly, but only a small amount daily. Probably equivalent of about 100IU of D.

Are you saying that I'm under-reacting because I'm only supplementing myself, and not DD directly?
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
It would be easier to list the things that she's NOT allergic to. But as far as the liquid D's are concerned, I have found them in a base of coconut/palm oil, sesame oil, or olive oil. She cannot tolerate any of those. Oh- but she does get CLO directly, but only a small amount daily. Probably equivalent of about 100IU of D.

Are you saying that I'm under-reacting because I'm only supplementing myself, and not DD directly?
No, YOU aren't under-reacting... people do.
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
No, YOU aren't under-reacting... people do.
Gotcha.
post #30 of 47

With symptoms and a low level I'd supplement baby as well as myself. I'd also be pushing the docs to look into reasons for the low vit D level - are there any inherited conditions that make it more difficult for some people to make vit D?

And a super mama cheer for you for getting baby tested! Way to trust those instincts
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Gotcha.
You may benefit from the lamp though. They are like 200 bucks or so, but you could easily get the d that way.
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
You may benefit from the lamp though. They are like 200 bucks or so, but you could easily get the d that way.
If only I had $200...
post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
the GP said she needs calcium + vit d most likely shot or IV, so need to see what they say tomorrow

We don't get much sun, it's cloudy and cold.

I had hyperemesis while preg, loads of bone pain which was ignored.

I take a vit but it's just not enough to seems

Also she won't take anything but breastmilk

recently she has showed an interest in food (she has a pincer grip but not sitting up)

She's going to need more then 400IU daily but I'm not sure how much. I know for adults its 50,000 IU weekly when your deficient. I had severe bone pain for months and months (had HG while prego too) and found out my Vit D level was I think 15 (its been awhile) and I finally got started on therapy, took about 8 weeks but the bone pain started subsiding finally and I feel a lot better and not so exhausted and brain fogged like I was before.
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I'm a little surprised at the level of panic in these posts. I just had DD tested a few weeks ago, and she came back at 11 (granted, she's a little older, so maybe that's the concern?). My ped said that it was fine for me to supplement myself since she's still BFing, and not supplement DD directly. (And there are no liquid D's that DD can have because of her allergies.) I take 5,000IU/day. We also go for a walk every day.
I could be wrong but I thought breast milk had virtually no Vit D which is why they often order drops for babies starting at 6 mo? Breastmilk is great stuff but its not all powerful.
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I could be wrong but I thought breast milk had virtually no Vit D which is why they often order drops for babies starting at 6 mo? Breastmilk is great stuff but its not all powerful.
Breastmilk only has inadequate levels of vit D when Mama is low in vit D. There have been studies to show that if Mama takes supplemental vit D and increases her levels then that vit D is passed to baby through her breastmilk.
post #36 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
Did you get tested at a Quest lab?.
Nope, in the UK, only a few places can do the test I'm told

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I'm a little surprised at the level of panic in these posts.
Did you happen to test her calcium? Although low vit d doesn't equal death but if your calcium is too low (which they are related) well google it, I'm shocked no one ever tested her before now and it was the GP trying to make me happy doing the test not cause anyone thought she NEEDED it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
And it is important to continue to test levels during supplementation.
I know, I hate blood tests but nursing during them seems to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post

With symptoms and a low level I'd supplement baby as well as myself. I'd also be pushing the docs to look into reasons for the low vit D level - are there any inherited conditions that make it more difficult for some people to make vit D?

And a super mama cheer for you for getting baby tested! Way to trust those instincts
I have MS and have had bone aches my whole life, I will def mention this to the ped today

There is questioning as to how much I should take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
She's going to need more then 400IU daily but I'm not sure how much. I know for adults its 50,000 IU weekly when your deficient. I had severe bone pain for months and months (had HG while prego too) and found out my Vit D level was I think 15 (its been awhile) and I finally got started on therapy, took about 8 weeks but the bone pain started subsiding finally and I feel a lot better and not so exhausted and brain fogged like I was before.
See above + GP said 800 a day was enough, although I wonder, KWIM?

I need to post on the HG forum, I never knew bout this, and I'm sad this happened

I've been having a HUGE brain fog, is it from the vit d???
post #37 of 47
British mama where are you in the UK? Which hospital are they sending you to? It matters, because there are very few paed specialists who will even *think* of the nut allergy thing (argh!!) and if your DH is allergic, you really mustn't have it in the house as it vapourises (the supp you are talking about) very easily and in any case is not suitable for a child of an identified sufferer (that is in the NICE guidelines)

Supplement wise - biocare do a liquid one that is D and Calcium together. The paed calcium (liquid) supp that is on the British National Formulary (i.e. is presecribable, the biocare is not :-( ) is very good, is non-dairy, gluten etc and is nut free (DD1 had it years ago when she was 'under' GOSH for allergies/excema). Getting your own levels sorted out will be the key though - but the calcium issues also suggest that there is an underlying condition here beyond simple diet (your diet that is) and hence you probably need a stat referal to one of the specialist childrens units (GOSH, Evelina (both London), possibly kings (in London too), Jimmys in Leeds, Addenbrookes in Cambridge, and others, but not many :-( )

If you are able to get suppls for yourself there are lots out there that are high dose and 'clean' - Floradix is one, but there are lots of others :-)

Oh - Biocare http://shop.biocare.co.uk/shop.aspx Because they are liquid supps they can be given sub lingual and are very well tolerated and absorbed by infants as well.

LMK if you need anything else :-)
post #38 of 47
Thread Starter 
we've been to GOSH for her head they saw the other probs but did nothing to, we go to oxford on Tues (for the head)

We're off to the ped, will post on our return

the 1 drop thing seems awesome but not enough I'm guessing
post #39 of 47
Thread Starter 
Ok back from the ped, this is the lowest level he's seen. She has ricketts, they have done more blood tests to see why, tomorrow we may have to worry more

They gave us 2,000iu drops and they hope in a month we'll be back to perfect. it's called one-alpha they say, it has sorbitol 22mg per drop and alchol but no nuts, it's not ideal but I don't think I have a choice right now

The funky head shape is from the ricketts and the pro's at Oxford will tell us more on Tuesday

He said she was textbook, even with the muscle twitches, he was shocked no one picked it up, it wouldn't have been picked up had her mother not been a PIA and had a good GP that listened to her
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I know for adults its 50,000 IU weekly when your deficient..
I just started this regimen last week. I am positive my Lil' Man is deficient too, as he was EBF until last month when he started solids. Hopefully my supplement will help him, I don't think his problems are nearly as bad as OP's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
I've been having a HUGE brain fog, is it from the vit d???
Maybe. I went to a rheumatologist, I believed that for the past 4 years I have been suffering from RA (which runs in my family). So far the only thing they have found (that I know of, not all labs are back yet) is severely low Vit D. I don't know the actual number. Apparently everything I have been dealing with might be related to that, I am hopeful that the 8-week course of mega-vitamin treatment will at least help. So far I am still fatigued, sore and foggy but it's only been a week.

I am so sorry to hear your DD has rickets. I hope for a quick resolution, and help for both of you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breastfeeding
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › Severe vitamin D deficiency in EBF baby