or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › Why cant they bring back the days ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why cant they bring back the days ...

post #1 of 108
Thread Starter 
of when everything was closed on Sundays? Remember those days? And everything closed early on Saterdays.. probably wouldnt help retail much
post #2 of 108
They do that around here mostly. Except the grocery thank goodness, otherwise we couldn't eat since that's the only day we have the car.
post #3 of 108
Go to Millersburg Ohio, it's the largest Amish settlement in the world. If you haven't done your shopping by about 2pm on Saturday, you're screwed.

OK, there is a Walmart and a TSC open on Sunday but that's it. Most of the restaurants are even closed up on Sunday. Most of the time it's nice, but when you're working on a home improvement project it's awful. Honestly, if you need one more 2"x4" you will have to drive about 30 miles to get to a store that is open.
post #4 of 108
Nope. No nostalgia for those days. Too many ER visits with RX that needed to be filled and no open pharmacies.

Nope. No nostalgia.

And with kids now, I can't imagine not being able to do all my shopping and errands on the weekends given that I have DD during the day and work evenings.

V
post #5 of 108
It certainly wouldn't help the economy. In France, there are still laws against retails shops being open on Sunday. Many retailers are working hard to get these laws repealed...

Personally, when I moved from a large city to a medium sized city, I was shocked to find that many places here don't open till 9am or even 10am : and close early (by 7pm). When you work all day, it's impossible to get to the store during those hours. :
post #6 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
It certainly wouldn't help the economy. In France, there are still laws against retails shops being open on Sunday. Many retailers are working hard to get these laws repealed...
Germany, too.
post #7 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Germany, too.
Yup, I loved the two weekends a year where our town was allowed to be open on Sunday. It was such a special treat to be able to go out shopping on a Sunday
post #8 of 108
When I lived in the Caribbean for a while, on a formerly British island, they had all sorts of crazy rules about when banks and stores could be open. It was so annoying, because the only time the banks were open, I was working. Every other day was some sort of holiday and everything would be closed, including government offices, libraries, and public transportation (and let me tell you, there is no way to get anywhere without a minibus unless you want to hike 5 miles up a mountain)! Ack!
post #9 of 108
It's hard to see any positives to bringing back Sunday blue laws! I like being able to shop at my convenience, not finding doors shut because the government believes I should be in church at a particular time.
post #10 of 108
Thread Starter 
LOL. I can see your point. I just miss the "family" day when no did anything, just hung out, I remember going to see my grandparents on Sunday.
hey I understand the retail aspect, I work retail maybe I just dont want to work Sundays anymore.
post #11 of 108
If everything was closed on Sundays, it would be horrible for Orthodox Jews. We don't go anywhere Friday afternoons and evenings and all day Saturdays, except maybe Saturday nights in the winters, when Shabbos ends earlier.

So what do you do if you work 5 days a week, have your Sabbath on a 6th day, and then the 7th day, the only day you're truly available for big shopping projects, the stores are all closed?
post #12 of 108
Main street in my town is closed on Sundays. Target and whatnot in the rest of town is still open.
post #13 of 108
If a store needs to close one day a week, it would make more sense to close on a Monday or another slow retail day.
post #14 of 108
No one is forced to shop on Sunday if their personal beliefs or lifestyle choices make them prefer not to. They are still totally free to make that a family hang-out day.

But yeah, working weekends must be a drag, especially if the rest of your famy is only free then.
post #15 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
It's hard to see any positives to bringing back Sunday blue laws! I like being able to shop at my convenience, not finding doors shut because the government believes I should be in church at a particular time.
:

I find the mere idea abhorrent.

-Angela
post #16 of 108
You can still have that family day even if the stores are open. No law that says you have to shop.
post #17 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
It's hard to see any positives to bringing back Sunday blue laws! I like being able to shop at my convenience, not finding doors shut because the government believes I should be in church at a particular time.
ITA! Down here we have an advertisement that says "close on sunday, for a very special reason".

It always makes me want to jump out of my own skin!
post #18 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
If a store needs to close one day a week, it would make more sense to close on a Monday or another slow retail day.
That's true! Indian shops around here always close on tuesday or wenesday to restock, ect. No religious reason for the day-- just a slow retail day.
post #19 of 108
One of our provinces, Nova Scotia, used to have everything closed on Sundays by law. We were quite surprised on our trip a couple of years ago to find that - it was our last day there and we hoped to do a little shopping and get souvenirs. Doh!

I hear that they changed this since then though - not sure if all the retailers are open now that they're allowed to be?
post #20 of 108
Most of our stores here are closed on Sundays, and one recently changed their hours to stay open one hour later each day but close two days a week. They say it saves money, I don't know. It makes sense. It was a bit inconvenient, getting used to making sure we had enough milk and other little things by Saturday afternoon, but it seems normal now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › Why cant they bring back the days ...