or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Clostridium Difficile (C Diff)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Clostridium Difficile (C Diff) - Page 3

post #41 of 51
Thread Starter 
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama View Post
I would call another doc if I were you. That's just my opinon though. This doc seems very lax about this and I don't know if that's a good thing. I'd call a doc unrelated to this one and not mention any names either.

I am not sure if you mentioned this before or not, but was this the same doc that prescribed the antibiotics in the first place? I think it is, but just checking.

YES this is the same doc that prescribed the abx in the first place!! (I was glad she decided to consult on this instead of treating him though. This was one thing I was happy about, I think she handled that correctly)

you're right - its not a bad idea to get another opinion from another practice. I am even thinking of switching if I find someone I like more (but the same problem may happen - there may be one person from the practice I like more, and you can't interview EVERYONE from the practice you know?) - I do like the way the 2nd dr handled his case so far since she took over from the time he began the antibiotics. However, I have met 3 other drs from that practice in the past, and they have all done questionable things (and I am likely to get one of them on call when I have an emergency) I'm just a little worried other practices may be similar, and all prescribe unnecessary antibiotics also, if they see signs of an ear infection. Im trying to think of how I can word my questions to find out whether THEY would have in fact prescribed something for him too, you know? How can I really find out without telling them what happened first. I also want to know wHICH antibiotic they would have selected if they thought it should be started right away. (I havent even discussed this with the 1st doc, but I have no idea why she felt it was necessary to choose augmentin - Im angry over that - everything I read online says its to be used as a last resort)


Quote:
Flagyl put me in the ER after three doses.

what happened to you?? I took one round of flagyl and although it was nasty stuff (I cant swallow pills so chew up everything lol), it fixed my diarrhea and got me back to normal again. I had no side effects from it that I remember. I don't know what I would have done had they not found it so fast (that I had C Diff) I am very grateful they caught it and I "only" had to have the watery diarrhea for one or two days (although I had other symptoms of the disease for about a week or less)
post #42 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoalexsarah View Post
I wonder if you dr is thinking that your son is strong enough to beat this on his own
No, Im thinking that the specialist felt he didn't actually have the disease (even though he tested positive) --- I printed out a TON of stuff about C Diff from every site I could find ... on one of them, it said a positive culture for C Diff doesnt necessarily mean you actually have C Diff disease. I think if she felt he actually had the disease, she would not have tried to let him beat it on his own.

Quote:
- with my DD she had just had major facial reconstruction surgury and was in hospital for septic infection when they found it - she had gone from 26.5lb to 22.5 in a week and is already very small for a nearly 3yo. That may be why they treated her aggressivly - but it worked andher tests are clean now. I just don't understand why they would let it go


Oh, surgery is definitely a risk factor for this as well - in your case I understand how they would diagnose. I think the diagnosis depends on more than just the stool culture being positive. You have to have additional symptoms, too. I only recently learned this.
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmum35 View Post
No, Im thinking that the specialist felt he didn't actually have the disease (even though he tested positive) --- I printed out a TON of stuff about C Diff from every site I could find ... on one of them, it said a positive culture for C Diff doesnt necessarily mean you actually have C Diff disease. I think if she felt he actually had the disease, she would not have tried to let him beat it on his own.





Oh, surgery is definitely a risk factor for this as well - in your case I understand how they would diagnose. I think the diagnosis depends on more than just the stool culture being positive. You have to have additional symptoms, too. I only recently learned this.
What worries me, and concerns me as a fellow parent is that he will now be a carrier, and may pass it on to other children/adults that are at greater risk.
I think that one of the reasons C-diff is becoming such an issue now is because there are many more carriers out there, for the average healthy person a case of antbiotic colitis may not be a problem but for a person that must take antibiotics frequently, or long term then picking up community aquired c-diff is a huge issue.
Megan's was community aquired, not from the hospital as she was only in one day untill she developed symptoms (on the antibiotics 2 days - she has to go on prior to surgury).
I think that everyone has a role in preventing c-diff, if you chose not to treat him then PLEASE get a stool culture done after he gets better to see that he is not shedding spores that can cause this in others.
post #44 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoalexsarah View Post
What worries me, and concerns me as a fellow parent is that he will now be a carrier, and may pass it on to other children/adults that are at greater risk.
I think that one of the reasons C-diff is becoming such an issue now is because there are many more carriers out there, for the average healthy person a case of antbiotic colitis may not be a problem but for a person that must take antibiotics frequently, or long term then picking up community aquired c-diff is a huge issue.
Megan's was community aquired, not from the hospital as she was only in one day untill she developed symptoms (on the antibiotics 2 days - she has to go on prior to surgury).
I think that everyone has a role in preventing c-diff, if you chose not to treat him then PLEASE get a stool culture done after he gets better to see that he is not shedding spores that can cause this in others.
I think you're wrong here. Think about what you are saying... you are saying if anyone out there tests positive for c diff in a stool culture then they should be treated with flagyl (or vancomycin) to protect others ---- 50% of all kids under 2 years old will test positive. Do you want all these kids to be put on antibiotics? In response to the flagyl or vanco, the C. Diff bacteria start to produce spores (to protect themselves) the bacteria die, but the spores arent affected by the antibiotic. they live up to 2years and can become active again at anytime if anyone ingests one. using the antibiotic on all these people is going to release a huge # of spores into the environment and potentially harm a great # of people. much greater than not using the antibiotics would have.

In addition to that, the c diff is starting to show some kind of resistance to vanco (which is why flagyl is used first and vanco as a last resort) - I JUST learned that and I question one of the previous posters desire to use vanco on her child without trying flagyl first. One of the pages I read explained it very well (I will find that site if anyone is interested) and using vanco is NOT the best option - even for little kids. I was looking into which one to use, in the event I would have to use it on my toddler. It appears flagyl is the best choice after all (although I havent done a great amount of research on this and could be wrong yet) - fortunately my son only had ONE diarrhea today - FINALLY after 5 days since the last dose of antibiotic (we're on day 8 of diarrhea!!) it seems to have slowed down (4-9 times a day in previous 7 days!!) ---- he is getting better!!! He testd ++ for c diff, but does not have the disease. (thank god!!!)

While I actually would be CURIOUS whether or not he STILL tests positive after his bowel movements get back to "normal" (whenever that will be?!?) I doubt my ped would EVER consent to another stool culture when he doenst need one.

While I still have a lot to learn about c. Diff, I think you're wrong here, and that it would end up being WORSE for other people if everyone who tested pos. for c. diff (asympomatic carriers) were treated. Imagine what bad shape we're going to be in when flagyl stops being effective due to antibiotic resistance. careful use of antibiotics may help prevent this from happening.
post #45 of 51
Proper and complete treatment of c-diff gets rid of both bacteria and spores.
Megans final stool culture, had to test negative to toxin, bacteria and spores. We had to have this tripple negative test for her to be allowed back into her special needs preschool program.
I hate antibiotics - but in some cases they are needed, my dd has an genetic immune deficency. She is a very very healthy kid, her doctors are amazed but she still can't fight the big infections on her own even with the help of the best homeopathic practices. We need the arsenal of antibiotics to be there, after she contracted the c-diff it has reduced severly the classes of ones that we can use, add that to the issues of resistance that we have already had to deal with, again community aquired bacteria.
C-diff is a bad bug and unfortunatly it is out there too much, as are far to many antibiotic resistant bacteria out there. Most people take little regard to this fact, like sending sick kids to school, or kids on Abx to school, they still spread the bugs and unfortuatly they don't always consider the wider implications.
post #46 of 51
Thread Starter 
Oh for some reason I had thought the spores were untouchable, even with the flagyl treatment. ?

Update:

yesterday, after 7 days of profuse diarrhea (ranging from 4 to 9 times per day) he only had ONE! This was 5 days since stopping the antibiotic.

None today yet either, and although its still diarrhea, I think its starting to change. His appetite has returned yesterday too! We're doing good! I'm stopping the probiotic once again because after I took just the florastor yesterday my stomach hurt once again but it wasnt as great as some days ago when I took both sustenex and florastor.

I did take a bottle (at less the recommended dose, over a month or two) after I finished the course of flagyl 1 1/2 years ago and had no problems that I recall. Now Im starting to think the recommended dose (2 a day) could just be too high for me? or maybe its just cooincidence. Anyway, we're doing GOOD and his rash is now gone after 3 days (friday-sunday) so I can't even bring him in today to be seen for it! I may never know just what it was!

I talked to a RN who felt he did NOT have serum sickness but rather, a common "amoxicillin rash" which does NOT indicate allergy, but a "sensitivity"

Now I'm really confused. I'm still reading about it online. IT doesnt' mention fever however, and the 'serum sickness' does, and the notes I took fit more with the serum sickness. She told me he would be sicker, and it would be itchy if it was a true allergy. It didnt SEEM to itch him, I did see him rub his face/neck a few times (but wasnt sure it was because he was tired or itchy) I thought he just had a mild case of it since it could vary widely. Now I'm not sure what the rash was but I still feel it has to be related to the augmentin amoxicililn antibiotic.
post #47 of 51
the rash could be a viral rash as well, whatever caused the ear "infection" may well have been viral and they cause rashes, sometime days after the fevers break. My kids have had a number of "common viral rashes" as our doctor calls them.
post #48 of 51
I posted in your previous thread about what a number augmentin did on me and the rash was part of it, but I had it for couple of weeks, so the rash may be just it. I am glad the diarrhea is gone.
post #49 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily7 View Post
I posted in your previous thread about what a number augmentin did on me and the rash was part of it, but I had it for couple of weeks, so the rash may be just it. I am glad the diarrhea is gone.
When you say you had it for a couple of weeks, are you referring to the diarrhea, or the rash? (additionally, if you had the rash, was it itchy, and how long did it last?)

The rash lasted him 3 days (and was worst on the 2nd day) Friday through Sunday. By Monday (when I was planning on having a dr look at it) it was just about gone, so unfortunately I cannot really get a good opinion about it since noone has seen it in person. I talked to his 2 peds over the phone about it, but they felt it did not have to do with the antibiotic. I disagree and hope to talk with them more on our upcoming appt (friday) - I did take a photo of it, but it was on the 3rd day when it was going away, and so does not show up well in the photo. I wish I had taken one on the 2nd day.

I have googled this "amoxicillin rash" and there are a LOT of people out there who ALL experiencing the same thing! It is apparently a side effect from taking the antibiotic. It does not mention about the fever however, and for that reason, I'm still suspecting he might have had the serum sickness, since the fever always precedes the rash there and he DID have the fever and felt AWFUL the day before the rash began.

I do think the rash HAD something to do with the antibiotic, I'm just not sure if it was a mere side effect or was an actual allergy. If it represented an actual allergy then any future exposures to amoxicillin will take just 1-3 days to start showing allergic symptoms (not 7-14 days as with 1st exposure, serum sickness) and be MUCH more severe.

I found a blog online (it is not mine) with photos of a child that look like the same rash.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/lauramb/59912/

I'm still reading through the 45 comments, and there is yet another blog I found where other people have had similar experiences after using amoxicillin

http://www.downsyn.com/phpbb2/viewto...70875e9b0d6112


Here is a good site that desribes about distinguishing "non-allergic adverse reactions" from "true allergic reactions"

http://www.uptodate.com/patients/con...=al_asthm/4604

It mentions it can be very difficult to distinguish between the two. Under "allergic reactions" it mentions hives (raised, intensely itchy spots that come and go over hours) - now my son's red spots WERE raised (I could feel them with my fingertips) but only slightly, above the skin.They weren't raised a great deal, AND they definitely weren't intensely itchy, in fact I'm not real sure they itched him at all. I saw what I thought was an itch, on his belly, when I had his onsie up, when he was on the potty. Otherwise, he was covered with clothes all the times, so really couldn't itch even if he wanted to. I did see him rubbing his face and neck often one day (but I'm not sure which day that was now) but I thought that was cause he was tired and not feeling well but in retrospect, Im wondering if they might have been itchy after all. But for all I could tell, he played normally and they didn't seem to bother him.
Another thing is under "allergic reactions" it mentions the hives can come and go over hours (whereas the "rash" that does NOT indicate a true allergic reaction does not change by the hour) - his rash DID seem to come and go by the hour. It was worst when he woke from his nap, and seemed to disappear within an hour (although if I looked closely I believe it was still there- just barely noticeable). It came out again and appeared more prominent during his evening bath.

It does mention allergy testing, and maybe in a few years (hopefully he won't need ANY antibiotics before then) I can find out whether in fact he does have a true allergy or not by a skin test? I don't want to be pricking his skin as a baby, as it can be uncomfortable, so I feel maybe waiting until age 3 or 4 when he can understand was is happening would be preferable to any testing in the near immediate future. In the meantime, I hope to avoid ALL antibiotics, and I'm not sure WHAT I will do if they tell me he HAS to have one for some reason!

Our appt is friday, I'm going to bring my photos, print out what I learned about "amoxicillin rash" vs "serum sickness" and see if they think he could possibily have had one of them (but from my description over the phone, they said they felt it did NOT have to do with the antibiotic!) - I may also probably seek a 2nd opinion from another practice too because I just can't imagine this having nothing at all to do with the antibiotic, being that he reacted so severely with watery diarrhea and loss of appetite too.


His appetite returned several days ago, and his stools are now only once a day (in fact he even skipped a day!) although they are still very loose, they are no longer like water, and he is happily playing. I'm no longer worried about him.

On another note, my own stomach pains have gone away, I think I mentioned I wasn't sure if I might have picked up C Diff too, or if it was from probiotics I started taking. Well now my Husband (who takes NO supplements) also has stomach pains for several days!! So now I know, it wasn't caused from the probiotics. Perhaps we had a stomach virus (or food sickness caused by something we ate?) and could be unrelated to my son's diarrhea. It is really a mystery because usually when we get sick, it is merely a cold or cough. The only time I felt that way was when I had c diff. They did tell me that the stool culture on my son dated 2-28 (2nd culture) came back normal for everything. I think this means the C. Diff was not "positive" this time around. I was surprisd to hear that. I will double check on friday if that's what she meant.
post #50 of 51
I actually did not have the diarrhea the first time around, I was vomiting everything, even water for two days, was it antibiotics or side effect of kidney infection I do not know, it was long time ago and I think they finally switched me to a different antibiotic and the vomiting stopped. But the rash was there for couple of weeks and it was hives for me, they would come and go. It would usually show up after eating anything, the only safe food then for me was bananas. Later I figured out this was actually my second reaction to penicilin based antibiotics, I had Doxycilin couple of months ago and did not have severe reaction, but i had some hives after the course. It seems like you did a lot of research on the different reactions. I did not. For me bottom line is no penicilin based antibiotics. My dentist made a mistake once and I got amoxicilin, I guess I was not paying attention and took it, I had bloody diarrhea and immidiately stopped them. Then after I had my son I had to have a root canal and they felt that Keflex was the only OK antibiotic for nursing, I did not have severe reaction but I think this one round destroyed my gut, and now I am fighting eczema for over a year.
post #51 of 51

i've read in other forums that florastor can cause diarrhea in some people too.  i'm going through the same problem.  diarrhea after a course of cipro.  had stool sample take 5 days ago for c diff.  lab is so slow.  was in so much pain started flagyl.  feel better.  but still not sure if it was caused by c diff.  maybe florastor, or acidophillus. etc... i started taking lots of probiotics after cipro.  so confusing, and medicine don't have the definitive answer either.  reading up on c diff labs, and most labs only do the EIA toxin a and b.  which is only 70%>90% sensitive.  so even if my result is negative, it can still be a false negative.  i've had chronic colitis issue in past, this may throw it into a spiral again.. so depressed and anxious..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Clostridium Difficile (C Diff)