or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › March Pagan Mamas Circle
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

March Pagan Mamas Circle

post #1 of 569
Thread Starter 
so here we are, mamas! it's March! Ostara is looming, Daylight Savings Time is next week : (y'all know i like the dark season ), and St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

Do y'all resent St.Patty's Day? or celebrate it? whichever you do, tell why?

I hate the story, because it represents driving Paganism out of the lovely green Isle, but I love the celebration of the Irish. And I love corned beef and cabbage
I think I am Irish at heart, even though I'm pretty sure I don't have any in my family history. I have English, though-- from pre-1620 (Mayflower stock, me) so who knows back then, there might have been more blood-mixing. I don't have any documentation of before that. Unless someone knows where I can get William Bradford's family history.
post #2 of 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
so here we are, mamas! it's March! Ostara is looming, Daylight Savings Time is next week : (y'all know i like the dark season ), and St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

Do y'all resent St.Patty's Day? or celebrate it? whichever you do, tell why?

I hate the story, because it represents driving Paganism out of the lovely green Isle, but I love the celebration of the Irish. And I love corned beef and cabbage
I think I am Irish at heart, even though I'm pretty sure I don't have any in my family history. I have English, though-- from pre-1620 (Mayflower stock, me) so who knows back then, there might have been more blood-mixing. I don't have any documentation of before that. Unless someone knows where I can get William Bradford's family history.
Hi!

I'm not very active on here, but I am trying to be better! I am so excited for daylight savings time...I don't like the short days LOL

I don't celebrate St. Patrick's day, but I understand why people would want to. Most people I know just see it as an excuse to have a good time, drink green beer, have a party etc., so I certainly see nothing wrong with that! I would go to a celebration, but not initiate one, kwim?
post #3 of 569
I don't celebrate St Patrick's day.
post #4 of 569
I don't celebrate the day but everyone assumes dh is Irish, (he is a tiny bit, like 10%) so we give a nod to his small irish roots on St. Patty's day. We usually have ham, cabbage, taters, carrotts and soda bread but will be away this year.

Maia- for Candi and her baby!

The girls want to make something with candles, so I was thinking egg shape candles with either painted symbols or carved symbols.

O.k. back to work for me
post #5 of 569
We are getting up to 15" of snow. Um, yuck.

I want spring!
post #6 of 569
Just popping in to say "hello"! Sorry I've been away. Most of my on-line time has been trying to work out details for a possible early return (3-4 months before DH could join us) to Seattle for DS and myself. I'm still waiting on final job news in the next week or so, but it's been crazy trying to work out child care/temporary housing from here.

Anyway, I've been Spring crafting, de-cluttering and just trying to pull myself together.

Dreading the longer (bright) days, but looking forward to Ostara and the hope it brings. No specific St.Paddy's Day celebrations, except to celebrate my dear Irish friend.

Hoping to stay tuned in a bit more this month.
post #7 of 569
Morning Mamas.

DH called for a little bit after he called DSS. Turns out DSS' little sister made her appearance 2-3 weeks early, knowing the exwife the way I do she was probably induced because she was tired of being pregnant. Just like she was with her last baby. I guess I am feeling a little bitter right now.

DH is supposed to call me back again in a few hours....I hope. I wish Spring would make a firm appearance already. I am tired of this teasing thing the weather is doing up here. I want to garden already.

Come on Spring!
post #8 of 569
Thread Starter 
here is the update from Candi's friend, about Candi and baby :

"I received a phone call from Candi's husband Aaron about an hour ago. Both Candi and Baby (she doesn't have a name yet) are recovering and doing fine. Baby has a 90% chance for survival. Her lungs are stronger than originally thought, and she's apparently making a lot of noise. :-) Candi will be in the hospital for the next three days, and Baby will probably have to be there until her original due date in May. Baby is 1 pound 13 ounces and is about 13 inches long. Aaron said Baby squeezed his fingers and opened her eyes.

They thank you all for your prayers and good energy. Please continue to keep them in your prayers as they are not entirely out of the woods yet."

oh, yay. just yay.

it's snowing, mamas! : it's coming down so hard we just have to get inches, we just have to!

now i need to get off my lazy arse and go do something. like, oh, i dunno...eat maybe? it's 2:15 or so and i haven't had lunch yet
post #9 of 569
Subbing. Maybe I can actually keep up this time, instead of giving up and receding back to lurkdom.

Does anyone ever remember me here anymore? Oh well, even if not, I always glean a lot of joy and ideas from this thread. :
post #10 of 569
Greetings. I've been lurking for a few weeks & thought I'd finally say hi. I have a 14 month son and have become more interested in re-newing my spiritual self. He's already a little nature-lover so I suppose I just want to start integrating some spiritual/sacred aspects to our outings. A few years ago I started having a calendar of months represented by a single feature of nature. March is the months of owls. Our owl story is how the owl calls at night to call in his mate and to call in the spring. Next Sunday we are camping (in a cabin) to listen for owls - and wolves too, if we're lucky.

I've enjoyed reading your posts and am looking for more inspiration & ideas.
post #11 of 569
Hi Liza! I love owls, love em, and they seem to appear at different times in my life. A year or two ago we had a couple visit us in our backyard. One little guy took shelter under our compost tumbler... :
post #12 of 569
Welcome Liza!

Yes, Shelley, I remember you.

So, I figured out a way to entertain ds today (snow day). We were watching a Harry Potter movie when the lid to a bin fell over. Sooo...I told ds it must have been Harry in his invisibility cloak. I never expected ds to believe me!
But he did.

So then, I noticed that Harry had written (in big letters) HI in the freshly fallen snow. (of course, this happened just after I had gone out to clean my car off. tee hee).

Then, that sneaky Harry put up a picture of himself on my desktop along with a little note saying Hi to ds and that he had fun visiting him today.

My goodness, ds is all excited about it.

Who needs Santa when when we have Harry?

post #13 of 569
Hello Everyone, I lurk a lot but thought I'd say hello. :

I don't celebrate St. Patrick's day but I like March because green is my favorite color and it's my birthday this month.
post #14 of 569
Bella Babe- good to see you and congratulations. My Erin is an October babe, born on the 19th. :

Hi Verde! Join write on in. *ha ha*

Liza- Welcome! I haven't seen a owl here but I know we have one by the reamins.

I picked up a bunny, fawn, calf and lamb for our nature table. They schleich which I like but would prefer wool or wood. oh well
post #15 of 569
The weather has been absolutely beautiful here the past few days and I am soooo looking forward to spring!

Welcome to the new mamas and hi to the returning mamas!

I agree on the whole St. Patrick story. I don't like that aspect of the holiday. I do have quite a bit of Irish in me though and it does make me want to celebrate that at this time of year. I so long to go back to Ireland again some day. It feels so much like "home".

Liza-s - Owls are very special to me too, and have helped me out during times in my life when I really needed them. How nice to have an owl month! Did you purchase that calendar somewhere or design it yourself?

DOK - What a clever idea!

Bella Babe - It's nice to see a pagan mama from TX. I have come across a few on here. I spent most of my life in TX and always felt so alone when it came to my spirituality. Not that I really have any close friends who are pagan where I live now, but the environment is much more accepting. Glad you're here!
post #16 of 569
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
Sooo...I told ds it must have been Harry in his invisibility cloak. I never expected ds to believe me!
But he did.
So then, I noticed that Harry had written (in big letters) HI in the freshly fallen snow. (of course, this happened just after I had gone out to clean my car off. tee hee).
Then, that sneaky Harry put up a picture of himself on my desktop along with a little note saying Hi to ds and that he had fun visiting him today.

My goodness, ds is all excited about it.

Who needs Santa when when we have Harry?
oh, that's awesome, DOK! how funny sounds like something i might have done, if i had thought of it! i wonder if your ds will go around expecting "Harry moments" from now on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
but I know we have one by the reamins.
I picked up a bunny, fawn, calf and lamb for our nature table. They schleich which I like but would prefer wool or wood. oh well
reamins? schleich? what in the world language are you speaking, woman?

welcome back bellababe and hello to verde!
post #17 of 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
i wonder if your ds will go around expecting "Harry moments" from now on...
Probably. I'll just have to tell him that I think Harry doesn't get to visit people all that often.
post #18 of 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
so here we are, mamas! it's March! Ostara is looming, Daylight Savings Time is next week : (y'all know i like the dark season ), and St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

Do y'all resent St.Patty's Day? or celebrate it? whichever you do, tell why?
We don't celebrate it, mainly because we're really not into drinking beer & acting like idiots (which is what most ppl seem to do lol) But I do think it's sad that the general public is so misinformed about the real origins of the 'holiday'... a religious leader traipsing through a country annihilating it's traditional spiritual practices does not = something to be happy about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
here is the update from Candi's friend, about Candi and baby :

"I received a phone call from Candi's husband Aaron about an hour ago. Both Candi and Baby (she doesn't have a name yet) are recovering and doing fine. Baby has a 90% chance for survival.
Awesome news! I'll light a candle for the little one and hope that she's strong enough for the fight ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
March is the months of owls. Our owl story is how the owl calls at night to call in his mate and to call in the spring. Next Sunday we are camping (in a cabin) to listen for owls - and wolves too, if we're lucky.
Welcome! : I'm an owl lover (and geckos), dh is the wolf lover in the house We don't really have 'typical' owls here... this is the Australia owl, the tawny frogmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by verde View Post
Hello Everyone, I lurk a lot but thought I'd say hello. :
Welcome to you too :

Well our excitemtn for the weekend was a rather large TREE falling on the power/phone lines to our house! It was taken care of fairly quickly, and I was happy to know I wasn't imagining the very LOUD noise I heard at 545am DH thought I must have dreamed it lol. I did some serious pottering in the garden yesterday... planted some more basil, parsley, cucumbers and some bush beans : I'm finding that even a few minutes out in my little potted veggie patch is very grounding these days : It's warm & steamy.. even at 730am when I went out! I'm SO looking forward to autumn that it's not even funny

I just tried to call Jon.. and would ya believe he's gone visiting! LMAO His dad picked him up and he's staying up with them till tuesday or so, and when he comes back he'll start his therapy on Wed I think.

And to those mamas on facebook.. I found my best friend from growing up on there today! We were inseperable from about.. grade 4 on LOL. We lived at each others houses on the weekends, and last year our mothers died weeks apart and I could not find her I'm so unbelievably thrilled to have made that connection again! Those friendships from my treasure map are manifesting in the ODDEST places! lol

dh just rang & wants to take the wee ones to Ikea this afternoon to play in smaaland while we do a bit of window shopping
post #19 of 569
Hey mommas! I celebrate St Patrick's... or as a friend of mine says "Irish-American heritage day" It gives me an excuse to sing rebel songs, brandish my Irish side and otherwise torment the Anglophile at my job. I don't like daylight savings because it's stupid. It shouldn't exist at all. You get the same ammount of light as you do without it. The sun doesn't care what the clock says. I can't wait for spring and storms and warm weather. I just want to see all the lovely flowers and baby ducks and stuff. It'll be great.
post #20 of 569
Maia- are you taking aim at my poor typins skills or poor spelling?
*laughs* schleich is a company that makes figures from people to animals. And you couldn't get remains from reamins? And I thought you made dean's list last semester? *tease* :

Picked up my grass seed, dirt and stuff for amking my green baskets. We eill start them tomorrow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › March Pagan Mamas Circle