or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Infant Seat Test Flaws Article
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Infant Seat Test Flaws Article - Page 4

post #61 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleezoo View Post
the arb is the first year's answer to a rf tether.
arb?
post #62 of 95
arb= anti rebound bar

the function is to prevent the cocooning of the seat into the vehicle seat back upon impact. some techs are wondering if it will provide any stability in a side-impact collision like a rf tether (which also prevents the seat from rebounding into the vehicle seat back), but most agree that the anti-rebound feature is more important.
post #63 of 95
arb = anti rebound bar - a piece that sticks up from the foot of the seat and holds it off the seatback.
post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pink1blue View Post
my bucket seats are BRAND NEW. Well, not anymore, i guess. A 2007 and 2008 model. And they snap right into the cart. I think any seat will.
Nope, many seats don't.

Quote:
It's the hook that would snap it into the base that will grab the edge of the cart's seat to snap it on. it's not just dangling there. and I will continue to put my babies there, because there's no other place to put them while grocery shopping.
Umm... my baby is usually on my back while grocery shopping. When he was tiny, he was on my front.

If you look at your carseat manual, it likely tells you specifically that the seat is NOT designed to be attached to a shopping cart, and that it should not be placed on top of anything (table, cart, hood of the car, etc.) due to falling danger.
post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pink1blue View Post
my bucket seats are BRAND NEW. Well, not anymore, i guess. A 2007 and 2008 model. And they snap right into the cart. I think any seat will. It's the hook that would snap it into the base that will grab the edge of the cart's seat to snap it on. it's not just dangling there. and I will continue to put my babies there, because there's no other place to put them while grocery shopping.
A sling or other infant carrier. I never brought ds in the store in a bucket and I did and still do 100% of the shopping.
post #66 of 95
Now I am wondering if I should even buy a new Infant car seat. With ds we had planned to use the Marathon form birth but he was in the NICu and tehy had to do a carseat test. So we had to have an infant carseat. My cousin gave us one as she received two for gifts an they only had one car. I could not stand it it was an evenflo. The thing did not fit well in our car and he was 26 inches fast (the height limit) we ended up putting ds in the Decathalon at 10 weeks. he fit great I wish I had put him in sooner! Not sure what to do withthe next one. we were thinkinga Chicco keyfit because it fits in our car best.
post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapixie View Post
Buy a sling or carrier, since I used a convertible from birth, it was the only way I could get the shopping done. And no, no infant seats made now HOOK onto the carts. They may fit onto the cart, but they do not hook onto it any longer. The old Century infant seat I used with my oldest did, but neither the Fisher Price stay in view, nor the Graco Safe Seat have any way to secure the seat to the cart.
The Graco Snugride we used did . . . and I know it because it was an utter and complete PAIN IN THE ASS to get unclipped when my husband tried it. The thing came out of its base easier than it unclipped from a cart.
post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapixie View Post
No, the carseat companies have purposely been making their seats so that they don't snap onto carts, because it is inherently dangerous to do so. It throws off the whole center of gravity of the cart. There have been many injuries reported either the seat falls off, or the cart tips over, or even worse, baby falls out of the seat.
See, this claim versus some of the others just bewilders me.

Our local grocery has those carts + baby seats . . . which are a molded plastic seat which flip down over the "toddler" seat in the cart exactly in at the same height and in the same position as a clipped-in carseat would end up at. From pushing the plastic seat into place a couple of times, the seat seems to be about the same weight as your standard carseat.

All they seem to avoid is the "seat falling off" problem. If the weight there is going to throw off the center of gravity of the cart and risk over-toppling the cart, it's no different.
post #69 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluepink02 View Post
However, I was very impressed by Combi's response to the information. They're a great company!
:

I'm due in August and we're shopping for a new carseat. I have a less than one year old Marathon that I'm planning on using when the new baby grows into it, but I've been looking for an infant seat to use until then. I was going to get a Britax companion, but Combi has now shot to the top of my list.
post #70 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTwo View Post
I ran across this article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...1.story?page=1

Makes me think that any seat I purchase from now on will be a convertible. Just another reason not to use a bucket seat.
Seems to me the lesson is to not use the snap in base. Every bucket seat can be belted in independently, the base is for convenience.
post #71 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschick View Post
See, this claim versus some of the others just bewilders me.

Our local grocery has those carts + baby seats . . . which are a molded plastic seat which flip down over the "toddler" seat in the cart exactly in at the same height and in the same position as a clipped-in carseat would end up at. From pushing the plastic seat into place a couple of times, the seat seems to be about the same weight as your standard carseat.

All they seem to avoid is the "seat falling off" problem. If the weight there is going to throw off the center of gravity of the cart and risk over-toppling the cart, it's no different.
:
If it's a cart balance problem, it would exist whether you put your seat there, or the seat was put there by the store.
post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Seems to me the lesson is to not use the snap in base. Every bucket seat can be belted in independently, the base is for convenience.
Not every seat can be used without the base. Some are base only.
post #73 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Seems to me the lesson is to not use the snap in base. Every bucket seat can be belted in independently, the base is for convenience.
It is really really hard to install them without the base, and irritating, too. You have to lock the belt off, it goes over the baby's legs, yada yada yada. We did it once while travelling and it's a PITA. You have to uninstall the seat every time you take the baby out.
post #74 of 95
It's been five years since I used it but when we used a Graco bucket with our first without the base, we did not need to install and uninstall it all the time and the seatbelt did not go over the baby's legs.
post #75 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Seems to me the lesson is to not use the snap in base. Every bucket seat can be belted in independently, the base is for convenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
Not every seat can be used without the base. Some are base only.
The Evenflo Embrace we had could only be used with the base.
post #76 of 95
Grocery carts and car seats are not meant to be compatible. Nor is it safe. There are a startling number of injuries from falls in infant carriers used in ways they are not intended. Here is a link to a study, it's old, I can't find the current one right now and it's bedtime, but I'll look more later... But in the year sited, there were 8700 injuries from falls associated with infant carriers used outside of the car. The ones that are on the carts are BOLTED there, so they can't fall off but even so, they are still not recomended. The AAP recomends to not use them that way "Many infant-only car safety seats lock into shopping carts, and many stores have shopping carts with built-in infant seats. This may seem safe, but thousands of children are hurt every year from falling out of shopping carts or from the carts tipping over. Instead of placing your baby's car safety seat on the cart, consider using a stroller or front pack while shopping with your baby. "

Some infant seats can be installed without the base, some can't and some don't even have bases. This is another "read the directions" recomendation. But you raise your error risk A LOT by installing the seat every time you use it. I can't see why you would use an infant carrier, for the convenience, and then try to just leave it installed? Too much room for error, as you (in most cases) have to slide the baby out from under the seat belt. I would think a convertible would just make more sense, in those cases.

I still don't think it is time to panic. These car seats perform well in over 95% of crashes. The odds of a seat failing are very small. Proper use, and proper installation, is still the best advice, while we see what pans out. And for parents that are still concerned about the safety of their infant carrier, a convertible is going to be the next car seat for your child anyway, just move them now.

Meanwhile, use of a convertible will negate the shopping cart debate, so you're good all the way around
post #77 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post

Some infant seats can be installed without the base, some can't and some don't even have bases. This is another "read the directions" recomendation.

Meanwhile, use of a convertible will negate the shopping cart debate, so you're good all the way around
What infant seat doesn't have a base? I'd be very interested in that for the future.

Also - small newborns really don't fit well into most convertibles. Maybe there are some that will fit one? DD certainly wouldn't have fit in her Britax as a newborn. Or for several months after...
post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Also - small newborns really don't fit well into most convertibles. Maybe there are some that will fit one? DD certainly wouldn't have fit in her Britax as a newborn. Or for several months after...
The True Fit and Radian both have padding available to fit the seat better to tiny newborns. It comes standard with the True Fit and Radian 80, and you can order it for the Radian 65. I don't know about the Radian XT.

I understand that the Scenera fits newborns fairly well, too.
post #79 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
The True Fit and Radian both have padding available to fit the seat better to tiny newborns. It comes standard with the True Fit and Radian 80, and you can order it for the Radian 65. I don't know about the Radian XT.

I understand that the Scenera fits newborns fairly well, too.
Thanks - how low do the shoulder straps go? I have a good friend who's pg and is trying to figure out what carseat to get for the little one.
post #80 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Thanks - how low do the shoulder straps go? I have a good friend who's pg and is trying to figure out what carseat to get for the little one.
I just read a list of stats, but can't find them. I think they are all around7-7.5" (assuming you use the infant padding with the True Fit or Radian).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Family Safety
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Family Safety › Infant Seat Test Flaws Article