or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › TV-Free › TV free play dates
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TV free play dates

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
We allow TV but I do have a rule that if a friend comes over to play, then there is to be no TV. Does anyone else have rules like these and how do they work?
post #2 of 6
We're the TV-free ones, but all of our friends (all do TV to some extent or another) have the same "rule". Only on rare occasion has it been an issue (ie tired toddler tantruming for TV); generally the littles are well distracted by having us over.

Interestingly, there is no such rule for adults; the times TV has been on when we're over have been for adult parties and there's a race/game/match on and it's assumed all the adults will be interested.
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bits and bobs View Post
We allow TV but I do have a rule that if a friend comes over to play, then there is to be no TV. Does anyone else have rules like these and how do they work?
We have the same rule. A lot of people here don't have / like tv, so it's easier to just have a blanket rule. Besides if they have friends over they do not need to sit & veg out. Occasionally there is an exception if I am babysitting one of their friends all day and the weather is bad. I will check with the mom and maybe allow one show. But my kids know when we have friends over we don't watch tv.
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
We're the TV-free ones, but all of our friends (all do TV to some extent or another) have the same "rule". Only on rare occasion has it been an issue (ie tired toddler tantruming for TV); generally the littles are well distracted by having us over.

Interestingly, there is no such rule for adults; the times TV has been on when we're over have been for adult parties and there's a race/game/match on and it's assumed all the adults will be interested.
Wow. I couldn't imagine putting on the tv if I had actual real company. Actual real company is such a treat, why would I need a game on in the background. My parents do it though. They travel 7000 miles to see us and every night they sit in the spare room just watching the tv
post #5 of 6
We watch tv (trying to abstain) but never during playdates. That's actually a deal-breaker for me--if the tv is on when we visit someone, we don't go back. After all, we could stay home and watch the tube!

On a related note, another pet peeve is that all the indoor play areas around here always have a tv on. Why??? I always find someone to ask if it can be turned off--I've yet to be successful.
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post

On a related note, another pet peeve is that all the indoor play areas around here always have a tv on. Why??? I always find someone to ask if it can be turned off--I've yet to be successful.
Do you have to pay to get in? If so, I would tell them that I'm not paying to come and watch tv, but to play. Sucks b/c it is nice to take the kiddos somewhere fun!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: TV-Free
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › TV-Free › TV free play dates